Upgrade from Atrios
Oct 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

misterbee

New Head-Fier
Unfortunately my much-loved Atrios have given up the ghost outside of warranty (one side has given out), and I need to find myself a new commuting IEM. Rather than just buy another pair (which, believe me, I'm tempted to do), it might be an opportunity to go with something else with a bit more high-end detail.

I love the low end of the Atrios as I'm definitely a basshead as I listen to a lot of electronic music (trance, drum and bass, dubstep), but tightness of the bass is just as important as the volume. I listen to a lot of vocal trance, and that was the one are the Atrios fell short, the vocal delivery was lacking somewhat.

My budget is £200 max and I think I've narrowed it down to:
- Miles Davis Tributes (or Trumpets)
- Yamaha EHP-100
- Radius TWF-11R (although I'm put off by the poor isolation)

Are there any I've missed that fit the same criteria? Does anyone have any of the above and the Atrios that can offer a comparison?

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm in the same boat, I'm planning to get a triple fi 10 if there is a good deal to be had on black Friday.

But man the Atrios are fun, and they have little road noise for biking, and their warranty department is nice...I bet I will end up buying another pair.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 11
The EPH-100 is a fine bassy commuting IEM. The price in U.K. seems to be very decent too. Sounds a bit more lush than the Atrio MG7 while sacrificing little in bass prowess. The Radius has the better vocals than the EPH and Atrio, but you can say goodbye to the bass for outdoor listening. Haven't listened to the Monsters yet. Triple.fis are good but quite a bit more expensive.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Look into the new Sony XB90EX. It is what the Atrios should have been. I own both. Atrios are lacking mids  which is a shame as they have great sub bass but the XB90 has some of the deepest mids for any earphone with sub bass I actually like better than the Atrios. 16mm dynamic drivers FTW.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Look into the new Sony XB90EX. It is what the Atrios should have been. I own both. Atrios are lacking mids  which is a shame as they have great sub bass but the XB90 has some of the deepest mids for any earphone with sub bass I actually like better than the Atrios. 16mm dynamic drivers FTW.

Ah, now these look interesting - I've just found the discovery thread and I see some drooling. 
dt880smile.png

It looks like the highs/mids open out a little after burn-in from the comments. How is the leakage/isolation? These are a big factor on the London Tube - anything less than a 9/10 for isolation and you won't hear anything.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
The EPH-100 is a fine bassy commuting IEM. The price in U.K. seems to be very decent too. Sounds a bit more lush than the Atrio MG7 while sacrificing little in bass prowess. The Radius has the better vocals than the EPH and Atrio, but you can say goodbye to the bass for outdoor listening. Haven't listened to the Monsters yet. Triple.fis are good but quite a bit more expensive.

Shame about the radius because from what I've read, they seem perfect bar the lack of isolation, which is a deal-breaker unfortunately.

The only thing about the EPH is that they're around half my budget, which makes me wonder if I can potentially step a notch higher than these, but that may be unfounded from my standpoint and I should just accept them as being a good deal. 
rolleyes.gif
 They seem to be generating a loyal following, though.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Isolation is very good actually I would give it a solid 7.5-8/10.  10/10 being dead silent..The slightly rolled off highs are solid and is easy to listen to. The mids have depth and imagery many earphones fall short on as well as the best sub bass on the planet for earphones. I call em bass earphones for audiophiles. Big sound for your EDM the way it should be heard. Sony does bass right on these. Plus they won't cost so much. You mentioned vocal trance..Vocals are very up front and centered on these. No weak flat mids on this sound at all.  I recommend bigger wider tips as the Sony Hybrids actually restrict some of the sounds..Why not try something new.. I also own MDTs, CKS77, FX3X,, All great bass phones but the Sony's are tops. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Isolation is very good actually I would give it a solid 7.5-8/10.  10/10 being dead silent..The slightly rolled off highs are solid and is easy to listen to. The mids have depth and imagery many earphones fall short on as well as the best sub bass on the planet for earphones. I call em bass earphones for audiophiles. Big sound for your EDM the way it should be heard. Sony does bass right on these. Plus they won't cost so much. You mentioned vocal trance..Vocals are very up front and centered on these. No weak flat mids on this sound at all.  I recommend bigger wider tips as the Sony Hybrids actually restrict some of the sounds..Why not try something new.. I also own MDTs, CKS77, FX3X,, All great bass phones but the Sony's are tops. 

The way you're describing the Sony is similar to the way I'll describe the Radius, down to the second last sentence 
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Really? I thought the Radius were supposed to have poor isolation? That may have thrown me a curveball as I was very impressed by joker's thoughts on them especially.

Regarding the Sonys, they don't seem to be available in the UK. The only place I can find them is accessoryjack, and they say they've had issues with packages getting stuck in UK customs. None of this purchasing lark is ever straightforward, is it? :frowning2:

I can get a set of Tributes at a very good price, but I'm intrigued by the radius now. Decisions, decisions.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Sorry, it was totally unrelated to your questions. 

Anyway, the Radius has poor isolation (one of the poorest isolation among IEMs I've owned) , I recommend the EPH-100 more for commuting IEM.
The DDM has somewhat rolled off treble too, and I think the bass is not quite as forward as the EPH-100. I think the EPH-100 does better for electronic (bass is more focused, and not much wrong with the sound, more sparkle), but the DDM is better for vocals (the mid is beautiful).

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the help guys, I've gone for the EPH-100 as isolation is probably one of the biggest factors. Plus they're listed on the Basshead Club, so they can't be too shabby bass-wise. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back