Upgrade from ATH-M40X
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Qualcheduno

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a good upgrade over my M40X in the ~200€ range.
I mainly listen to metal and rock, although I occasionally dip my foot in other genres as well.
My source will be a Fulla 2.
I'm looking for the following:
-a tight, punchy bass, not too prominent but enough to give authority to the sound
-a natural midrange
-a neutral to smooth treble, since a lot of metal is recorded and mixed by who appears to be a treble insensitive individual or someone with a fetish for cymbals and hi-hats.
-a good instrument separation and detail retrieval, without losing the overall musical coherence

I'm currently leaning to the Sennheiser HD650, since they can be found used in this price range, but I'm wondering if there is a better choice.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd get a used (from a reputable seller and in stellar condition of course) ZMF Vibro MKII over a Sennheiser HD 650 any day, especially for metal and rock. Granted I have the Blackwood which is a slight step up from it, but you'll get real sub-bass out of the Vibro unlike an HD 650, and it's just far more fun and better suited to those genres.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 9
I've never heard the 650's but remember, the M40's are monitor headphones so their will probably be quite a difference.

I have the M40's actually and they're pretty good for the price.
I'll agree that they're good, but they aren't suited for my musical tastes.
I am assuming you are moving over to open headphones now and away from closed? If so, you might also look into a used HE400S, which would be a good option as well.
Open or closed, it doesn't really matter, I was going for the 650 because they are usually recommended in this price range. I've also looked into the Hifiman HE400i/s, but I've read about them being bright, and metal doesn't really need a treble emphasis.
I'd get a used (from a reputable seller and in stellar condition of course) ZMF Vibro MKII over a Sennheiser HD 650 any day, especially for metal and rock. Granted I have the Blackwood which is a slight step up from it, but you'll get real sub-bass out of the Vibro unlike an HD 650, and it's just far more fun and better suited to those genres.
I've looked into the ZMF's and other fostex's mods as well, but they are not easy to find used (I live in Europe, so I can't buy from the US unless I find the deal of the century)

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I'll agree that they're good, but they aren't suited for my musical tastes.

Open or closed, it doesn't really matter, I was going for the 650 because they are usually recommended in this price range. I've also looked into the Hifiman HE400i/s, but I've read about them being bright, and metal doesn't really need a treble emphasis.

I've looked into the ZMF's and other fostex's mods as well, but they are not easy to find used (I live in Europe, so I can't buy from the US unless I find the deal of the century)
The HE400s is warmer than the 400i, and I didn't find the 400i to be too bright. The 6xx ticks most of your boxes, but its sub-bass is lacking, and you get a lot of impact at the midbass instead. I'd almost argue the lcd2c is the horse you should bet on, but its out of your price range. If you can get a decent price on the monoprice rip-offs (560s or 1060s) maybe a good way to go?

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 9
The HE400s is warmer than the 400i, and I didn't find the 400i to be too bright. The 6xx ticks most of your boxes, but its sub-bass is lacking, and you get a lot of impact at the midbass instead. I'd almost argue the lcd2c is the horse you should bet on, but its out of your price range. If you can get a decent price on the monoprice rip-offs (560s or 1060s) maybe a good way to go?
I've searched some info about the 1060s, and the sketchy build quality, paired with the fact they need $80 pads to sound at their best, dropped them out of my list.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 9

That's a shame. You can't really go wrong with the HD 650 in any case, I think everyone likes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back