Upgrade from ATH-ES7
Oct 23, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #16 of 22
comfort is an issue but quality can outweigh comfort for me. i have read reviews and it seems to be that the SR80 or SR225 are favorites in my price range. would you recommend either or go for something else, regardless of brand? i want the best bang for my buck that will leave me satisfied.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want the best bang for my buck that will leave me satisfied.

Bang for the buck in your price range means different headphones / amps to different people. There's no telling yet what that might be for you. How about providing more information that might help determine this?

What type of music do you listen to?
Can you search the internet and find out?
What instruments are played with this music?
Are vocals important with this music?
Is a deep bass line important with this music?
Do you want a small or larger sound stage?
Would you consider buying an amp if the price of the headphones and amp were still within your budget?

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 22
rock, indie, alternative ex. radiohead
can I search the internet and find out what?
strings, drums, electronic beats, piano, horns
yes, vocals are important
yes, deep bass is important
i'm not sure what the benefits of a large or small soundstage
sure i would consider buying an amp if it is worth it

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 22
I would suggest the Denon D1001. I have both the D1001 and the ES7. The ES7 has a warmer sound compared to my D1001 (which has the MarkL mod and recabled w/ Mogami). From what I remember, the stock D1001 had boomy bass. The D1001 is more smoother and requires a higher volume than the stock ES7. The D1001 has better instrument separation and a wider soundstage. The ES7 is initially bright but after burn in it becomes much more balanced. The ES7 has great bass. It is very tight and punchy but not too boomy; it is not muddy at all. The D1001 is far more comfortable but it is less portable since it is bigger and the earcups do not rotate. The ES7 is fairly comfortable after the headband mod (which is simply bending the angled headband wire). I would suggest getting the D1001 and then mod it. Overall, both in stock form, the ES7 wins in sound quality. However, my modded D1001 is my choice. The D1001 has sound signature similar to my modded D2000 (which I sold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back