Upgrade From an iPod Classic
Jun 18, 2015 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All

I have an iPod Classic, Fiio E12A and Dunu Titan 1 IEM's. I want to upgrade this setup. What would you suggest? I'm thinking a Fiio X3ii Or X5II?

My other non portable system is: Laptop, JRiver (FLAC & DSD), Forza Audioworks Copper Series Twin USB, iFI Audio iUSBPower, Forza Audioworks Copper Series Twin USB, iFI Audio Micro iDSD Headphone Amplifier/DAC, Klotz MC5000 interconnect with MS Audio Starline Rhodium plugs, iFI Audio i-can headphone amplifier and Sennheiser HD650 headphones with Toxic Cables Silver Poison cable.

So I could use the iFI iMicro DSD and HD650's with a new player.

Has anyone compared the 7th Gen iPod Classic against the Fiio Range?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Darren

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Generally the consensus is that most prefer the fiio sound (all of their daps) over the iPod classics as well as the superior 5.5 gen iPods. However after a ton of research the sound of the ibasso dx90 would be my guess, but I've only heard a Fiio x1. I thought it had a more transparent sound than the iPod but I didn't love the bass performance and speed. Yes. This is another recommendation from someone who hasn't heard anything... Just trying to help get the ball rolling. Honestly I recommend doing a bunch of reading about the daps you mentioned .

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the iPod Classic 7G and it has served me well. I also have the X3ii as well as the X1 and a couple of AK units.
I do like to sound of the X3ii but cannot get by the scroll wheel usage. (I actually have it up for sale with some included goodies).
I am looking for a replacement as well and am considering the DX90. I am really looking to try something with a dual dac...

Many alternatives to suggest. Maybe narrow by price range and how you plan to use it (totally portable, strapped to an amp, desktop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back