Upgrade for Sennheiser EH350
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rarach

Head-Fier
I own Sennheiser EH350 for almost 1 year and really love its sound signature but I think it's time to upgrade now.

Which headphones should I get if :

1. My budget is $350 (I am from Europe so prizes in USA are probably lower and phones that cost $300 in USA will cost me $400+ here)
2. I want same if not better mids than EH350 (I love vocals on EH350)
3. Better bass than EH350 (don't have to be boomy but precise with lot of detail and stronger impact than EH350)
4. Same if not better trebles than EH350
5. Headphones should be circumaural, open design prefered
6. I will run it unamped directly from my SB X-Fi Audio soundcard
7. I listen to vocal trance, tribal house, techno, rock
8. Once again I love sweet female vocals

I really don't wanna loose anything I love about EH350s (great vocals, clear trebles, details, "energy") Any ideas please?

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 12
Bump.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't think enough people have heard the EH350. If they are anything like the EH-2200 or EH-2270 they err on the side of dry and neutral, so pretty much any warm or bassy headphone will sound different.

Most of the open headphones I'd suggest in that range benefit greatly from an amp, though.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think enough people have heard the EH350. If they are anything like the EH-2200 or EH-2270 they err on the side of dry and neutral, so pretty much any warm or bassy headphone will sound different.

Most of the open headphones I'd suggest in that range benefit greatly from an amp, though.

Ok I am really not good at describing sound (especially not in my primary language) but I will try it.

They are pretty neutral with VERY good mids. It has tight, fast bass that is not boomy but can be very punchy with bass boost turned on on my X-Fi (but it doesnt cover very low frequencies). Trebles are nice, clean and definitely not agressive. (Few times I went asleep while hearing vocal trance or progressive house with them in my bed and not because I was bored but because sound from them is not agressive).

I never heard any other serious headphones so they represent best sound for me but I can really imagine phones with better bass, more detail and better comfort (my ears are sweating after few hours of listening). Compared to well known Koss Porta Pro they are much better in everything (even in bass that is not so strong but more detailed and punchy) except of comfort of wearing.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if i'm not mistaken, eh350's are suppose to be hd497's, or atleast very close.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i'm not mistaken, eh350's are suppose to be hd497's, or atleast very close.

Yeah they are supposed to be new and little bit enhanced HD497. Hope it helps with recommendations
regular_smile .gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 12
eh-350 is the new 497 with new housing... im a happy owner of eh-350; they are best in "bang for buck" category IMO... they are not fun soundin but i find it very accurate headphone in the price range... the reason why i bought se-420 its because there's a resemblance of eh-350's sound sig with se-420...

as with the upgrade, if you're used with sen sound sig; try hd-595 or the 600... they are more in fun side rather than analytic...

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh-350 is the new 497 with new housing... im a happy owner of eh-350; they are best in "bang for buck" category IMO... they are not fun soundin but i find it very accurate headphone in the price range... the reason why i bought se-420 its because there's a resemblance of eh-350's sound sig with se-420...

as with the upgrade, if you're used with sen sound sig; try hd-595 or the 600... they are more in fun side rather than analytic...

Thank you for answer.

Their neutrality is what I really like about them. Even long listening sessions are not fatiguing and when I want more bass I just EQ it.

Does 595 have similiar sound signature ? In what is 595 better than EH350?

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 12
595 with BOA trumps in high extension and bass, however on P3; eh350 seems to outpace 595... one thing i like most about eh-350 is the mids and vocals...with p3, the only headphones i tried (most are sennheiser) that bettered eh350 is the 600/650 and the old hd-485... if you will still run it unamped, i guess better stick with your eh350...

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you for helpful comments Knights.

I decided to take a risk and give a chance to MANUFAKTUR 32 ohm Beyerdynamics DT880. They should be right decision for music I listen to and shouldnt be hard to drive unamped. Now I am just waiting till they arrive
dt880smile.png

My thoughts FWIR:

HD595 - not too much upgrade from EH350
HD600/650 - not worth unamped
AD900 - probably smaller bass than I would like and are hard to get and overpriced in my country
AKG 701 - not worth unamped
D2000 - too much bass, recessed mids
DT880 - neutral, good bass, probably most detailed of all and should not be hard to drive unamped with 32ohm. I am just afraid that I won't like their trebles but can always EQ them down...

Did I make right decision ?

(Sorry for my English)

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Nvm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back