Upgrade Cables For Custom IEM UE, Westone, Hearyourself
Nov 8, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

boomy3555

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello to all,

Many of us in the hearyourself.com Custom IEM forum have been discussing making upgraded cables for our Custom IEM's. We have found that Ultimate Ears, Westone, and Hearyourself.com Customs all use the same two prong connector at the monitor end of thier cables and are interchangeable.

Some feel that there is an SQ difference between them and we are wondering if what material would be best to use to make our own upgraded cables.

Our first choice is Silver but some feel that silver is too brittle in the size that we would need (<24g). and stranded silver is too expensive.

There are a few custom builds out there that use OFC wire. and having purchased one myself I don't feel that the SQ inprovement over the Stock UE cables is worth the extra expense.

Is silver possible and would it be worth the added cost?

Also What connectors to use Neutriks is the lightest, Swithcraft is considered by some to be the best but are heavier, and Palicc are also heavy and some feel they are unattractive and I have found that they are hard to come by.

Weight is important when we are talking about hanging from the ears

The company that makes the Cables for some of the high end IEM's is PLASTICS 1 and they can make a small run for us but not very cost effective.
and again we would want to choose the right materials.

In our discussions I have also talked about what I feel is the coming wave of Multi-colors cables and "Bling" to go with the increased sales of IEM's for home use.

ANY THOUGHT FROM THE CABLE GUYS OUT THERE ?????

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I used Procab MC105-3,5 mm diameter microphone cable.
Sounds good,even better as the stock stuff.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks !!

I'll Check it out. I just got my 30g silver wire from DIY HI FI and I found out why it was so much cheaper there than other places ... It's totaly raw.
It came with Teflon tubing but it's not inside the tubing as pictured at the site

So Now I have to find the best way to fill the tubing with the raw silver wire as to preserve the siver from tarnishing and turning black inside the tubing.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks !!

I'll Check it out. I just got my 30g silver wire from DIY HI FI and I found out why it was so much cheaper there than other places ... It's totaly raw.
It came with Teflon tubing but it's not inside the tubing as pictured at the site

So Now I have to find the best way to fill the tubing with the raw silver wire as to preserve the siver from tarnishing and turning black inside the tubing.

just seal the ends with hot glue when you finish the braid and also fill the plugs with it. that way no air can get in even if they sent it to you in the Teflon all they would have done is thread it in just like you will. its never vacuum sealed
tongue.gif
except the really pricey stuff, I get a lot of my expensive wire like that too. it really dioesn't make any difference. actually makes it really easy to work with because you dont have to strip it. just cut the teflon 5mm shorter than the wire and then thread it an and hey presto you have wire with the ends exposed nice and cleanly
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back