Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Oct 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #632 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that used as usb dac/amp it sounded a fair bit better than my D10 with TopKit, though not 2½ times better

If the "2 1/2times better" analogy comes from comparing prices to the D-10, then a top quality DAP that plays flac has to be added into the equation.

I need a bigger closet. Who knew, 5 years ago, that we would have multiple portable setups, let alone, home components.
This is a hobby built on gluttony and happiness at the same time.

My wallet is so light, that my sciatic nerve is healing
redface.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #633 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dungie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone besides nc8000 compare hifiman's DAC with full-size CD-players?

I have.
I used both my Meridian G08 and my Esoteric DV-50 balanced into a Luxman P-1, at the same time as the co-ax out onto the co-ax in on the 801, and both the G08 and the DV-50's analog output had further extension on both ends, then the 801's integrated out. But that is comparing $7K of electronics plus cabling, to $700 worth of 801.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #635 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dungie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone besides nc8000 compare hifiman's DAC with full-size CD-players?

My comparison was to a NAD 542 cd player that was priced (at least in Denmark 3 years ago at about the same price as the HM801) where the HM801 comfortably competes and to my Jungson CDT2 where the HM801 can't compete but still does very well in comparison given that the CDT2 is nearer $3.500 including the Amperex tubes. However I only listened a total of about 2 hours to the HM801 in all permutations before it got send back to Fang due to disagreements so no comprehensive evaluation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the "2 1/2times better" analogy comes from comparing prices to the D-10, then a top quality DAP that plays flac has to be added into the equation.

I was in this case ignoring the dap part and solely considering the HM801 as a dac/amp.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #636 of 1,469
nc8000 writes "However I only listened a total of about 2 hours to the HM801 in all permutations before it got send back to Fang due to disagreements so no comprehensive evaluation."

Care to elaborate? I own a NAD CD player (and others) All information is important.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #637 of 1,469
No, insufficient data and no possibility to go back and coroporate. My disagreement with Fang is documented elsewhere and is not something I want to talk about any further.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #638 of 1,469
I'm glad to see that such a comparison has been done. While I think comparing reference quality home players to portable solutions is a bit of apples and oranges, I still want to hear evaluations of portable gear from people who know what the state of the art is, and what is possible from playback gear, whether portable or stationary....

Subjective evaluations like "god enough" or "good", let alone "excellent" require a context. If your home rig is high end (performance wise, not necessairly price wise) than good enough in a portable rig won't cut it!

I am very interested in the Hifiman, it want to get a sense of whether it is capable of providing reference level sound, or just better than the mass market stuff that can provide sound adequate to the task of portable listening.

thanks for taking the time to do the comparisons and for reporting them. I'd love to hear how you think it compares using it as a one-box solution to play thorough your cans, whether iems or full-sized (given appropriate loads).

After all, a person's gotta figure out what to wish for during the upcoming holiday gift season!

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have.
I used both my Meridian G08 and my Esoteric DV-50 balanced into a Luxman P-1, at the same time as the co-ax out onto the co-ax in on the 801, and both the G08 and the DV-50's analog output had further extension on both ends, then the 801's integrated out. But that is comparing $7K of electronics plus cabling, to $700 worth of 801.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #641 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by cervi-giardini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HM-801 has arrived!
Good sound as reviews said.
I hope firmware is to be brushed up more.
Anyway, good stuff.

Well done, Thanks Fang!

Any more impressions?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #642 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two 32GB SDHC cards ready and full of FLAC files and 24/96 FLAC files.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of which, has the patch to play 24/96 FLAC files been made available?

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #643 of 1,469
Quote:

HM-801 has arrived!
Anyway, good stuff.

Well done, Thanks Fang!

Congratulations! When did you order it?

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #644 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, has the patch to play 24/96 FLAC files been made available?

The beta unit I had played Linn Records downloaded 24/96 files just fine (much better that H140 with RockBox)

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #645 of 1,469
Quote:

HM-801 has arrived!
Anyway, good stuff.

Well done, Thanks Fang!

Still waiting, not even an email from the shipping company.
triportsad.gif

I really hope I get a shipping notice soon.

The waiting is the hardest part!

When did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back