[UPDATED] Arizona Head-Fi MiniCon the Second: September 15th, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #61 of 216
Please bring Ori. I've seen some people talking about it and it looks like a nice warm can with wxcellent sub bass. I would enjoy listening to it and taking measurements.

The bass is amazing. It takes a bit to adjust to the warm sound sig, but it doesn't ever sound muffled.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #62 of 216
Just making a finalized list of gear I'm bringing which I will stick with.

Headphones:
- STAX SR-L300 Limited Edition 80th Anniversary (modded: L700 pads and headband arc assembly)
- Fostex TH-X00PH (modded)
- Modhouse Argon MK3 (expected - should be delivered within the next few weeks if my lead time is on schedule)
- Sennheiser HD58X
- Monoprice Monolith M1060 (modded)
- B&O BeoPlay H7 wireless
- Koss KPH30i

Amp:
Gustard H10 (modded)
NAD C275BEE (for STAX compatable electrostats with Mjolnir Audio modified STAX SRD-7 transformer)
TASCAM MH-8

DAC:
Gustard X20U

DAC/amp:
RME ADI-2 DAC
Shanling M0 DAP
Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC/amp

USB>SPDIF/DDCs/digital stuff:
Schiit Audio EITR
Schiit Audio Loki tone controller

Optical Players/Sources:
OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Yamaha DVD-S1800 SACD/DVD player

Used gear for sale:
Philips SHP9500S

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #64 of 216
Updated stuffs. Audeze will be making an appearance once more :) it'll be more significant this time, too! More is brewing...

Could you remove the Fostex TH-X00 'PS' and STAX L300 from the list, unless they are someone elses? - I sold my L300 a while back and am not bringing the TH-X00 'PS'.

And the SRD-7 I have is really a Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer, a custom unit completely reworked from a STAX unit. Only thing from the original STAX unit it keeps is the actual transformer and socket, everything else including the custom circuitry and form factor is Mjolnir.

I would list it as: Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer (STAX SRD-7 based)

STAX SRD-7
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/2741318.jpg
https://www.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/stax_srd7_2.jpg

Mjolnir SRD-7
https://mjolnir-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/DSC_0053-2.jpg
https://mjolnir-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/DSC_0054-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #65 of 216
Updated stuffs. Audeze will be making an appearance once more :) it'll be more significant this time, too! More is brewing...

I've reached out to both sennheiser and campfire audio as well. will keep posted as i hear back! Awesome to see our meets growing every year.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #67 of 216
Hello again..Just trying to gauge what folks are bringing and what everyone is interested in while there.. I have been doing some research on several topics and was wondering if anyone (or more than one) attendee was knowledgable in a topic (or two)? FIrst topic was finding a DAP (Digital audio player) to upgrade to ..currently using an Ibasso DX50.. but looking for something more modern and bluetooth capable.. which then led me to a decision about LDAC or APTx HD, do they matter or not? Additionally, since I would be in the wireless realm, would anyone have suggestions for headphone types (IEM, Over the ear, etc) that would play well with the "unknown" but Bluetooth capable DAP? Also, what Bluetooth headphones would be a good use case for connecting to my indoors gadgets (specifically Amazon music service or DLNA music sources within my house network) ?

Along with all this, I have also been looking for ways to fix my Sennheiser 598 headphones, and was wondering what anyone does if you want to modify ear pads or cables (for those headphones that are wired based) ? What skill sets would I need to accomplish these tasks and are they worth the effort?

Just thought I would keep some discussion going before our big meet..

PS Would possibly be bringing two of my friends with me.. what would help them to participate in this great event?

Thanks
Don J

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #68 of 216
Hello again..Just trying to gauge what folks are bringing and what everyone is interested in while there.. I have been doing some research on several topics and was wondering if anyone (or more than one) attendee was knowledgable in a topic (or two)? FIrst topic was finding a DAP (Digital audio player) to upgrade to ..currently using an Ibasso DX50.. but looking for something more modern and bluetooth capable.. which then led me to a decision about LDAC or APTx HD, do they matter or not? Additionally, since I would be in the wireless realm, would anyone have suggestions for headphone types (IEM, Over the ear, etc) that would play well with the "unknown" but Bluetooth capable DAP? Also, what Bluetooth headphones would be a good use case for connecting to my indoors gadgets (specifically Amazon music service or DLNA music sources within my house network) ?

Along with all this, I have also been looking for ways to fix my Sennheiser 598 headphones, and was wondering what anyone does if you want to modify ear pads or cables (for those headphones that are wired based) ? What skill sets would I need to accomplish these tasks and are they worth the effort?

Just thought I would keep some discussion going before our big meet..

PS Would possibly be bringing two of my friends with me.. what would help them to participate in this great event?

Thanks
Don J

Not extremely knowledgeable of wireless headphones and DAPs, but I will have the $110 ish range newly released Shanling M0 with B&O H7 at the meet. The M0 can do LDAC-HQ, LDAC-Normal, LDAC-Connect, aptX, AAC, and SBC. Haven't heard anything via LDAC yet (will need the Audeze Mobius to be able do that), but regular aptX is impressive enough with the H7's. Reason I got the M0 is I wanted an as small as possible DAP for portable/backup use, everyone was raving about it, and it was right at $100. It's definitely tiny, just barely bigger than my Magrette Dual Time which has a 42mm bezel...see! The M0 and H7 are actually my work setup today:

i-v4L3WjJ-X4.jpg

For the short time I've had the M0 so far it has really impressed...and the M0 connected to my modded Gustard H10 amp seriously drops my jaw with the modded TH-X00PHs... it just syncs perfectly with them and give tremendously clear and detailed dynamic sound with insane subbass impact and depth. Spectacular DAC section that is just slightly behind the Gustard X20U DAC in detail and bass impact. Its much more impressive than the Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and it's half the price. Works extremely well with the Sennheiser HD58Xs too.

The B&O I recently just got by chance - someone offered them as trade for a JDS EL DAC I was selling...figured why not after quick search on impressions of them. The bluetooth range on them is very good, going bluetooth off my TAB S2 they are good for 60-70 feet (line of sight) with zero problems.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #70 of 216
Definitely planning on attending! I'm pretty much a complete newbie to the audio world, but I'm looking forward to shattering my defintion of "good"-sounding headphones.

I currently own:
unmodified SHP9500, OG Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony WH-1000XM2

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #71 of 216
Ok, in light of what others are bringing, I'm changing my gear list to the following:

Super-fun budget setup
G1217 Solstice + a boatload of different 12SN7 and 12J5GT tubes to play around with. (will try my best to get @koover addicted to these tubes)
Schiit Eitr
Schiit Modi MB
Schiit Loki
Schiit SYS
Massdrop x Hifiman HE-4xx

Other gear
ZMF Ori (for @cskippy and others to try out with various gear)
Grado GH1 w/ G cushions

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #72 of 216
My gear list will be:

Yggy gen5/analog2
Gumby gen5
Marantz HDDAC1
Focal Utopia
Audeze LCD3F
Bottlehead Mainline
Schiit Ragnarok

Also im super excited to look at your M0. Ive been considering one. Have you tried its usb transport out to a dac yet?@VRacer-111

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #74 of 216
then just bring a set of cans and browse what you dont have!

Shout out to all our vendors for participating. More in the works hopefully!

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #75 of 216
My gear list will be:

Yggy gen5/analog2
Gumby gen5
Marantz HDDAC1
Focal Utopia
Audeze LCD3F
Bottlehead Mainline
Schiit Ragnarok

Also im super excited to look at your M0. Ive been considering one. Have you tried its usb transport out to a dac yet?@VRacer-111

I've tried to use it as a DAC/amp via UAPP on my Samsung TAB S2 and it didn't go to well...it would play, but studder/pulse the music. Have not tried to input it to a DAC... have output it to my Gustard H10 amp and it is a phenominal setup for my TH-X00PHs... Also use it Bluetooth both as receiver (from TAB S2 Tablet) and transmitter (to the B&O H7).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back