Update: No longer Frustrated with the iBasso D10
Aug 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I received the iBasso D10 for use with my Grado 325is. It ehanced the bass issue and expanded the sound stage, but I felt it it also took away the treblely highs that I like. I didn't want it to smooth out the highs I guess. I like the upfront scratchy crispness to an acoustic guitar that I was getting with C&C XO.

The amp also pushed the vocals and acoustic guitar strings further back, instead of upfront. Before I could feel and hear an artist take a deep breath to the point where you could get the chills.
So perhaps going for the larger sound stage, sacraficed that up front intimacy. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Will the RA1 fulfill this. I'm so frustrated. I don't know if I should just return the D10 to IBasso for a full refund and seek another amp, or attempt to change the opamp to get it to sound the way I like. Please.. I need suggestions, advice.

UPDATE:

I am no longer frustrated with the iBasso D10. Viper2005, told me to how to swap one of the opamps with detailed instructions. Simple plug'n'play. I replace the stock LR opamp with the 8656, and left the buffers as 8532. Made all the difference in the world to me. The sound is just right. Works great with my 325is's and SRH840s.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you considered swapping out the opamps - at LEAST the ones that come with the D10?

it's worth a shot, before scrapping and starting over

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered swapping out the opamps - at LEAST the ones that come with the D10?

it's worth a shot, before scrapping and starting over

I am considering to swap out the opamps in the kit that comes with it. But can anyone tell me if I achieve the sound signature I'm looking for? The d10 gives me that I'm in a concert hall feeling. I want the forward upfront presentation and I want the highs to crisp and scratchy to very last detail. Especially with vocals and acoustic guitar strings.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Why don't you have a look here. You really can tailor the sound to suit. I'm not sure what opamps are stock in the D10 but you will find suggestions for better chip sets (Top Kit) in that thread.

Good Luck.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you have a look here. You really can tailor the sound to suit. I'm not sure what opamps are stock in the D10 but you will find suggestions for better chip sets (Top Kit) in that thread.

Good Luck.

LOL That thread seems to be a mine field of confusion. It's so massive, if I subcribe to it, I won't know if people are responding to my specific needs. Ive sifted through it a bit, but I'm hoping to find someone that can tell me if my exact criteria can be met on the d10 by changing out the opamps.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Tell you what to do then. Drop HiFlight (Ron Kerlin) a pm, he's a great guy and actually makes up the OBCA and CA opamp modules, what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing. He's taught me so much over the past few months it's not true.

My personal two cents would be to try the well knowns like the AD823 (in your XO), this is also used in the Graham Slee Solo. If you can afford it OPA627's are real nice or one of my personal favourites the AD8620 (dual) or 8610 (single).

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 13
The first thing i did, was to get the AD797s in G/V Transistor buffers and AD827 in L/R. That was a bit bright for my taste, but maybe it will suit you. Just replace stock G/V with AD 797s

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 13
I run 8656 opamps w/ bypassed buffers. I love the sound w/ my 325i's for acoustic guitar. Nice warm sound that works for me. Most importantly, very reduced GSM buzz.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run 8656 opamps w/ bypassed buffers. I love the sound w/ my 325i's for acoustic guitar. Nice warm sound that works for me. Most importantly, very reduced GSM buzz.

You're absolutely correct. That's exactly what I did, and made all the difference in the world.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 13
Good to hear, glad you're happy. It was kinda weird to see your original post, since the D10 and 325i's match well for most ears (on this forum).

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear, glad you're happy. It was kinda weird to see your original post, since the D10 and 325i's match well for most ears (on this forum).

When I first listened to the D10's, I was literally posting on here, and the sound stage was/is amazing. Then I kept listening, noticing that treble wasn't high enough. I kept thinking it would change with burn-in. I still know nothing about opamps, I though. I kept thinking to change opamps, you need to have all these soldering skills. I was intimidated to open up the amp. But I'm glad I did, since it made all the difference in the world. Sounds great with the Shure SRH840 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back