Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
May 10, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #91 of 164
Does anyone know if Sennheiser HD580/600/650 cables work with the edition 11? It's a 2 pin type, but Sennheiser ususally has some proprietary part of their cable. It looks like it should work, but not sure if the plastic end piece will be the right size.

May 11, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #92 of 164
No. The one Edition 11 uses is an IEM type socket.

May 18, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #93 of 164
Just over a year into ownership, the Edition 11s still really impress me. Some records just sound outstanding - latest is the new St. Vincent album 'Daddy's Home'. Beautiful balanced sound. And these are so comfortable. No regrets.

May 30, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #94 of 164
Been using the Edition 11 for a great while now. And they just keep getting better and better the more I use them. The low end is so powerful yet so clean, I had to sometimes lower it with heavy bass music but now I never do. It's perfect, right inbetween very musical yet fast, clean and never over powering any other frequency. Lower mids seem to clear up and come up a bit while high mids smoothen up a touch. Overall dynamics feel intense, fast, snappy and precise. In a way it reminds me alot of Focal yet more controlled in presentation. Treble feels a touch smoother yet heaps of detail. Some people call this headphone U shape. I agree but it's not a big U shape and overall very well balanced as mids do not feel recessed nor forward, yet very clear but focusing more on emotion and realism rather than being analytical and kinda flat. Air and soundstage are a strange thing with the Edition 11 and its something to get used to. Imaging is precise while soundstage is wide, deep and very airy. There is alot of separation between intstruments, vocals and sounds. Some of the best I have heard. This is not a headphone to analyse music but rather truly enjoy it, yet it is capable to bring out great amounts of detail. Price to performace is also great as I do feel for the sound quality alone I'd be willing to pay 2k and above. Simply one of the best headphones I have ever heard. And a headphone I will keep and not let go

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #96 of 164
I'm very interested to demo an edition 11 for a week or two based on impressions on this thread. I fell in love with their edition 8 and would love to swap with someone with my ED8 for a week or two to hear the 11.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Ultrasone headphones get a lot of hate on head-fi and little coverage and I feel it's really unjustified as they are amazing!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #97 of 164
I'm very interested to demo an edition 11 for a week or two based on impressions on this thread. I fell in love with their edition 8 and would love to swap with someone with my ED8 for a week or two to hear the 11.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Ultrasone headphones get a lot of hate on head-fi and little coverage and I feel it's really unjustified as they are amazing!
They get hate due to the Edition 10. While I do feel some other Ultrasones are a little overpriced I personally and wholeheartedly rec the Edition 11. Don't expect extreme amounts of detail and a sound focused on clarity or something neutral. It's musical and extremely engaging. If you want to enjoy music and feel it and have a unique presentation of it like no other. That's the Edition 11.

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #98 of 164
Yes, I love EDM and Ultrasone does EDM the best. I have tried so many of the other recommended headphones for it, but nothing beats them. I think for anyone who likes modern music, they have to give them a try. I agree, they are headphones for enjoyment and fun and they excel at that with their tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #99 of 164
The Edition 11 is wonderful. It's my preferred headphone for music, besting the Hifiman Arya in overall musical enjoyment. Detail and sound stage is a clear level or two above anything in the Signature series. It doesn't quite have the same clarity or detail of something like the Hifiman Arya, but it's close. What it does do better than any other headphone that I've tried is imaging, creating very precise instrument placement that creates a sort of hard sphere of sound around you in a large space. Some headphones sound like they have good instrument placement, let's say the Arya, but the sound is kind of dispersed or airy even if it's clear. The edition 11 produces sounds that are solid with clearly defined borders, which makes music more impactful & enjoyable. That imaging combined with it's great technical capabilities makes music come alive. The only downside is that it's not truly neutral. It's an interesting tuning where the lower mids are a hint thick, and at the same time the uppper mids are a bit lean. Nowhere near a V shape, but something different altogether. It's close enough to neutral that you can use heapthone cables to equalize the sound though (pure copper or pure silver depending on your setup).

I've tried plenty of Ultrasones... DJ, Pro, DXP, 580, 580i, 780i, and the 840. The edition 11 is the best of the bunch from both a techinical perspective & enjoyment. I've been meaning to write up a formal review, but I never do get around to it. So just wanted to chime in on some quick remarks.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #100 of 164
Yes, I love EDM and Ultrasone does EDM the best. I have tried so many of the other recommended headphones for it, but nothing beats them. I think for anyone who likes modern music, they have to give them a try. I agree, they are headphones for enjoyment and fun and they excel at that with their tuning.
Edition 11 is probs the best Ultrasone I've heard to date for edm. The imaging and soundstaging with the full and big low end is a true joy to listen

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #101 of 164
The Edition 11 is wonderful. It's my preferred headphone for music, besting the Hifiman Arya in overall musical enjoyment. Detail and sound stage is a clear level or two above anything in the Signature series. It doesn't quite have the same clarity or detail of something like the Hifiman Arya, but it's close. What it does do better than any other headphone that I've tried is imaging, creating very precise instrument placement that creates a sort of hard sphere of sound around you in a large space. Some headphones sound like they have good instrument placement, let's say the Arya, but the sound is kind of dispersed or airy even if it's clear. The edition 11 produces sounds that are solid with clearly defined borders, which makes music more impactful & enjoyable. That imaging combined with it's great technical capabilities makes music come alive. The only downside is that it's not truly neutral. It's an interesting tuning where the lower mids are a hint thick, and at the same time the uppper mids are a bit lean. Nowhere near a V shape, but something different altogether. It's close enough to neutral that you can use heapthone cables to equalize the sound though (pure copper or pure silver depending on your setup).

I've tried plenty of Ultrasones... DJ, Pro, DXP, 580, 580i, 780i, and the 840. The edition 11 is the best of the bunch from both a techinical perspective & enjoyment. I've been meaning to write up a formal review, but I never do get around to it. So just wanted to chime in on some quick remarks.
That's maybe the best thing about the Edition 11 though, not being neutral. Not being flat. It's a thick and full sounding headphone with insane dynamics and slam. It hits hard everywhere, lows, mids, treble, some of the best imaging ever, to me, even better than the Arya and the soundstage is great not as wide as Arya or HD800s but the depth is out of this world

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #102 of 164
Edition 11 is probs the best Ultrasone I've heard to date for edm. The imaging and soundstaging with the full and big low end is a true joy to listen
Have you heard Edition 8 yet? I agree with your comment on neutrality.

Every headphone in the seas is going for neutrality. Ultrasones are special to me as they inject some personality into their sound.

When I put on the edition 8, I hear distinctively the Ultrasone sound. They know what they are and they go for it, fully.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #103 of 164
That's maybe the best thing about the Edition 11 though, not being neutral. Not being flat. It's a thick and full sounding headphone with insane dynamics and slam.
Agreed-- It's only a negative for those looking for absolute neutral. I'm quite happy with the tuning as-is. It's not sharp or overly bright, and it's full where it counts. That, and if you don't like any aspect it can easily be changed with a cable swap to make it fuller or clearer to fit your preference. Overall it's a great tuning as an all rounder, but especially enjoyable for music.

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #104 of 164
Yes, The ED11 is a very full headphone, despite being a open-back. It is a great headphone and I still have joy with it. It’s a fun headphone, but with a very high quality sound.

But I hear most of the time very loud so I use the Celestee these days more than the ED11.

My biggest "issue“ with the ED11 beside the leakage is the enormous Soundstage. It‘s not really perfect for Black-Metal :)

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #105 of 164
Have you heard Edition 8 yet? I agree with your comment on neutrality.

Every headphone in the seas is going for neutrality. Ultrasones are special to me as they inject some personality into their sound.

When I put on the edition 8, I hear distinctively the Ultrasone sound. They know what they are and they go for it, fully.
Yes I have, such a great pair they are. Only reason why I don't have them is I don't really have use for a closed back headphone. If I'm out and about I prefer to use iems, if at home always open back. But maybe one day if I find one at a great price, I may take it 😁. The Edition 11 to me is one of the headphones out there that really has personality. If you like neutral, clinical, flat/studio, the Edition 11 will be a shock. If you love slam, fast impactful dynamics, insane amounts of depth, amazing imaging that does some crazy things, and alot of emotion in your music. The Edition 11 is one if the best headphones you could get at any price point. To put it, I'd take the Edition 11 over a Meze Empyrean, LCD-3, Fostex TH-909 and a few others. I'm not saying the Edition 11 outperforms them. But I personally love how the Edition 11 presents music and have yet to find a headphone that does it like the Edition 11. You just completely forget and let the music take you away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back