Upcoming Sony Xperia Z. DAC?
Apr 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:
Just as an FYI to people interested. Rumors start to pop up recently that the real Sony flagship that will come out in Q3/4 will have both cybershot camera and walkman DAC/amp in it.

I have heard these rumors too and if so I´m going to be pissed cause I just dished in excess of 1000 grand for an Xperia Z + Sony PHA-1. Granted I don´t think any cell phone will have a DAC/Amp that will rival the PHA-1 built into it without being the same size. Never the less, its a fact that these big corporations never go all out becuase they have to feed tech slowly to make a profit.
Sony will not come out with a high end DAC/Amp + high end Camera and Top of the line cell phone. They will do this gradually and every step or upgrade will make them money.
The fact that every model has a compromise is not casual its an intended defect so that the next model...well you get it right.!

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #62 of 88
I have heard these rumors too and if so I´m going to be pissed cause I just dished in excess of 1000 grand for an Xperia Z + Sony PHA-1. Granted I don´t think any cell phone will have a DAC/Amp that will rival the PHA-1 built into it without being the same size. Never the less, its a fact that these big corporations never go all out becuase they have to feed tech slowly to make a profit.
Sony will not come out with a high end DAC/Amp + high end Camera and Top of the line cell phone. They will do this gradually and every step or upgrade will make them money.
The fact that every model has a compromise is not casual its an intended defect so that the next model...well you get it right.!

So, you've spent over a million bucks on your rig. What country is this burden in? :rolleyes:

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:
So, you've spent over a million bucks on your rig. What country is this burden in?
rolleyes.gif

Ehh. first you need to recount the zeros. Thats 1000 or three  and thats not my point now is it.
rolleyes.gif
+
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #64 of 88
Quote:
Ehh. first you need to recount the zeros. Thats 1000 or three  and thats not my point now is it.
rolleyes.gif
+
confused.gif

Lol!!! I think you posted a boo-boo then,...cause you posted paying:

cause I just dished in excess of 1000 grand

Sounds like ya spent quite a chunk-o-change!!! 
popcorn.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #65 of 88
Still can't figure out why my post hit a nerve with you but no worries. Go spend some cash and get something nice to keep your mind away from silly thoughts. Lets get back to topic.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #66 of 88
Quote:
Still can't figure out why my post hit a nerve with you but no worries. Go spend some cash and get something nice to keep your mind away from silly thoughts. Lets get back to topic.

It didn't hit a nerve, I was being humorous!!! Besides, I just received my preorders of the new Depeche Mode & Killswitch Engage cd's, so I'm all good. 

Now, I'm DIEING to test out the HTC One, since Sony keeps (for some strange reason,...) missing the mark in an area they excel in: SQ. What gives? 

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #67 of 88
Quote:
It didn't hit a nerve, I was being humorous!!! Besides, I just received my preorders of the new Depeche Mode & Killswitch Engage cd's, so I'm all good. 

Now, I'm DIEING to test out the HTC One, since Sony keeps (for some strange reason,...) missing the mark in an area they excel in: SQ. What gives? 

Too many SQ opinions out there. And as we all now good numbers don´t always translate into good sound. For now I´m helping the xperia Z with a mega Dac/Amp. As I mentioned in my previous post I really doubt any smartphone will come with a killer amp/dac in the near future, thats just how the market works.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #68 of 88
My wanting the HTC One is that it has a built in amp, and is noticeably louder via the hp out as well as it's built in speakers.

As for measurements not being everything, I agree. I own the Lumia 920, and with it's mediocre testing I find it sounds quite good. And the volume is more than sufficient for my needs.

As they say "to each their own".

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #70 of 88
I can see how a built in amp would help. I'm comming from the Sony Acro S and I use it at 75% capacity.  Loud enough for me but then if you consider how close you are to max volume, clipping your phones is not good at all for phones or your ears. Let us know how it sound once you get it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #72 of 88
After enjoying my Walkman Z for the past couple months, I decided to hand on my iPhone 5 to a colleague and picked up a Xperia Z Friday. So far very impressed with the SQ. doesn't have the output of the Walkman (I guess this is due to a lightweight amp to conserve power) but still happy with it. The full HD screen is beautiful and a Fat32 formatted 64gb microSD works fine. Wish the Walkman took a SD card.

The stock phones are pretty dismal but that doesn't worry me. Enough power to drive my UMX3 well and even my P5 headphones. Baulks at my HD25s and barely audible with the HD600s.

Main gripe is it doesn't do gapless like the Walkman does but with the latest FW the stock player software plays FLAC. I hear they're updating to 4.2 OS sometime soon but that seems unconfirmed. Going to keep my Z-1070 for now.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #73 of 88
Thanks for the update Jp, my Z has yet to arrive...any plans on using an outboard Dac/amp_?

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #74 of 88
Thanks for the update Jp, my Z has yet to arrive...any plans on using an outboard Dac/amp_?

If I were to use my HD600, I'd have to amp it. But probably listen only casually and with IEMs mostly... My UMX3 sound great with the Xperia Z. Quite like my P5 with it also. But I'll tend to use either my Walkman Z or DX100 for critical listening anyway. Neither of them need and amp.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #75 of 88
Hi,
I just bought one two days ago and coming from an iPhone 5 it didn´t disappoint me it sound very good and much closer to the iPhone that I was expecting.
I highly recommend this phone, the HTC ONE is just a bit better sounding but the Sony has a bit less of hiss and a lower THD not much but there is if you focus on.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back