Upcoming: Hockey Playoffs
Apr 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 472
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hawks emotionally but money would be on Pittsburgh.

I'm a Blues fan but that ship sailed.

What action are you offering.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 472
I've been a Flyers fan since the 86-87 season. I went to several playoff games, and then I scored tickets to two finals games. I watched them win game 3 and game 6. They were by far the most exciting sporting events I've ever witnessed (or watched).

I then moved to Boston where I followed Boston closely.

So I'm also a minor fan of Boston. I had season seats for the bruins in 88,89, and 90. It's actually the last time the bruins were good, so I got to see Boston get destroyed by Edmonton twice. (At least the Flyers took it to 7 games)

I stopped following the Bruins in the mid 90's because the owner is a cheap SOB. I tried following the Flyers from new England but Directv's NHL Center Ice only showed 4 regular season Flyers game for the entire year, which means with Center Ice it cost me $45 per game to watch the Flyers.

So I pretty much stopped following Hockey. I'll try watching the playoffs this year.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #20 of 472
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a Flyers fan since the 86-87 season. I went to several playoff games, and then I scored tickets to two finals games. I watched them win game 3 and game 6. They were by far the most exciting sporting events I've ever witnessed (or watched).

I then moved to Boston where I followed Boston closely.

So I'm also a minor fan of Boston. I had season seats for the bruins in 88,89, and 90. It's actually the last time the bruins were good, so I got to see Boston get destroyed by Edmonton twice. (At least the Flyers took it to 7 games)

I stopped following the Bruins in the mid 90's because the owner is a cheap SOB. I tried following the Flyers from new England but Directv's NHL Center Ice only showed 4 regular season Flyers game for the entire year, which means with Center Ice it cost me $45 per game to watch the Flyers.

So I pretty much stopped following Hockey. I'll try watching the playoffs this year.

I was only a kid during that year but i know how it feels seeing your team win on TV, i've never had the privilege to see it done live but i can imagine how awesome it must have been.

Besides music, I'd have to say my other passion would be sports, it's just great seeing the players you support do well. It's quite unfortunate how DirectTV has limited you from following Hockey but i don't blame you, the rates to watch any game actually is outrageous.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #21 of 472
DirecTv doesn't limit hockey, availability and the NHL's market agreements do to some extent. Center Ice has over 1000 games a season, with 600 of them in high def. The only problem is you are limited by blackout agreements for what you can watch on center ice, so have to watch whichever broadcaster your local team has a deal with for in market games.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #22 of 472
Sens fan here. I have tickets for Alfie's 1000th game celebration tomorrow (April 10th has also just been named Alfie Day by the mayor of Ottawa) as well as game 3 of round 1. Go Sens!

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #23 of 472
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DirecTv doesn't limit hockey, availability and the NHL's market agreements do to some extent. Center Ice has over 1000 games a season, with 600 of them in high def. The only problem is you are limited by blackout agreements for what you can watch on center ice, so have to watch whichever broadcaster your local team has a deal with for in market games.

I don't know about Directv's broadcasting of games now, but back in the 95-96 season I actually counted, and for that season (It might have been the 96-97 season) Directv broadcast ZERO Flyers home games and only 4 Flyers away games. To add insult to injury Directv did not (Does not) release what games they would be broadcasting ether for the regular season or the playoffs. This meant that they expected customers (Me) to shell out $179.99 in the hope that they might show enough of my teams games to justify the $180 expenditure. Back then I had TIVO so I recorded every Flyers game. During the 90's I lived in NH so blackouts should not have been an issue for the Flyers.

The fact is that Versus now shows more Flyers games per year than Directv did back then. Directv might show more games now, but they still refuse to release a schedule of games to be broadcast either before the regular season or before the start of the playoffs. So the fan of a specific team has no way of determining in advance if the Center Ice package is worthwhile.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #24 of 472
directv is a satellite provider, not a broadcaster. Versus is on directv. 95/96 was so long ago as to not be relevant to anything. And directv doesn't determine what gets shown on tv, they just transmit what the NHL and the sportsnets etc deliver to them.

That said, center ice is significantly better than it used to be, but they are still beholden to the teams for what they get to show. The flyers are owned by comcast, so you're at comcast's whims as to which of their games get broadcast.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 472
Quote:

directv is a satellite provider, not a broadcaster. Versus is on directv. 95/96 was so long ago as to not be relevant to anything. And directv doesn't determine what gets shown on tv, they just transmit what the NHL and the sportsnets etc deliver to them.

That said, center ice is significantly better than it used to be, but they are still beholden to the teams for what they get to show. The flyers are owned by comcast, so you're at comcast's whims as to which of their games get broadcast.

What do you work for them? or maybe own stock? I'm glad you love DirecTV. If you read my 1st post I brought up my Directv experience primarily as the reason why I stopped following Hockey back in the 90's. I was really into hockey and lament not being able to follow it. I clearly stated when and how my experience with DirecTV's Center Ice happened.

Then you came back all defensive "DirecTv doesn't limit hockey" and quoting figures about how many games they show. Please note; I never said that they "limit hockey". then you get all semantic about DirecTV not broadcasting. Enjoy your DirecTV, I was a subscriber for years. I finally canceled not because of my opinions of the Center Ice package but because I was tired of loosing signal every time it rained or snowed.

I for one will be glued infront of the TV tonight watching Versus,... Go Flyers!

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 472
Quote:

The prices are still utterly ridiculous if you want to watch sports, and in my opinion broadcasters do limit all sports in that sense. It's all marketing, we all know the prices could be cheaper, but they know sports are on high demand, therefore they jack the prices up. Paying 180 bucks is equivalent to almost 3 months worth of directTV's service alone. It's bogus for those of us who moved to a different place and the teams they followed aren't on TV regularly anymore.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 472
Center Ice costs the same on every system. But honestly, $160, even if you just watch 1 team, gets you every game not on NBC or Versus. About $2 a game. If I didn't get caps games on my local provider, I'd pay for center ice. Cheaper than going to a single game in person.

I'm dropping directv in favor of cable, but it's not directv's fault hockey gets lousy free coverage...

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #29 of 472
grawk, are you sure direct tv gets the versus channel?
I seem to remember my wife specifically cancelling our direct tv subscription to get Comcast because Comcast carried versus this season and direct tv did not, this was back in September...I think direct tv wanted to charge the versus channel a large fee for carrying the channel and versus said no, so Direct TV didn't carry the channel.....I live in Boston area…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back