Unusually packaged music?
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 52
I always liked the AOL albums that came in the aluminum cases that slide open. They make great wall decorations and coasters. Plus, they are free!

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 52
This past year, Hong Kong Universal has been reissuing many Cantopop titles, many appearing for the first time on CD, on CDs resembling vinyl records. These CDs are also housed in mini-LP styled sleeve, complete with a mini duplicate of the lyric sheet. While CDs released in the "mini-LP sleeve" format isn't really new (all of the Hong Kong major music companies have done this, as well as the Japanese music companies), the Hong Kong Universal "mini-LP" CD is special because the data side of the CD is completely black as well.

uni_reissue02.jpg

The photo doesn't do any justice to the actual item.

On the flip side, I also have a CD (encoded in HDCD and marked on the sleeve) from a Taiwanese label that is housed in a LP-sized sleeve,

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 52
What about Bob Mould's band Sugar, whose debut album "Copper Blue" came in a limited edition package of two slabs of brushed copper , with the insert book and disc sandwiched in between, scratchy, dangerous, and very cool. Wish I still had it, lost in the "Great CD Break-Up of 1997".

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 52
Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game and The Outernational Sound have cardboard-type cases that fold out into 3 panels. And Richest Man In Babylon is a solid white CD case slipped in a cardboard "case" with a booklet.

And I know you said music, but the Alien Quadrilogy (DVD set of all 4 movies) is CRAZY. It's a 10-panel fold-out for 9 discs.

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
While CDs released in the "mini-LP sleeve" format isn't really new (all of the Hong Kong major music companies have done this, as well as the Japanese music companies)

I was just about to say I bought these three Yamazaki Maso EPs (Space Machine EPs) and they came in a really cool mini-mini-lp sleeve, as they are the 3'' discs. Photos won't even come close to doing these justice, so I won't bother
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #22 of 52
There was a Spiritualized disc that came with a drug bottle I think. There is also a Malcolm Mclaren single record that came in the shape of a woman holding a fan.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #23 of 52
Naga was talking about Steal This Album!

the songs were leftovers - outtakes - from the Toxicity recording sessions that fans were finding online and downloading left & right ......so the band finally decided to release them properly, instead of just having people "steal" them, hence the album title and main CD look - that of a CD-R.

Now, to align this with the rest of the thread: there were 4 other "versions" of that CD. Each band member designed his own CD artwork, so whereas the main release looked like a CD-R, others had just drawings and/or handwriting on them, and of course none of them had booklets so that one could see what the CD itself looked like.

Seeing almost all of those special edition versions (w/alternate CD art) years after the album's release at TARGET of all places -- THAT was the mind-blowing part!

also:

Blur's special edition of 13 came in a little white box with the CD itself packaged inside like a vinyl album would be: mini-gatefold cover & album sleeve over the CD.
...and now that i've looked at it again, i didn't realize William Orbit produced the album. huh.

edited so as to not look like i had joined the frey mentioned below
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #25 of 52
Ayreon - The Human Equation Deluxe Limited Edition

Not only will you get the 2 cds of the album plus a great DVD, but you'll get a case (size of a DVD case) looking like a book. With great illustrations inside etc.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 52
I think I'm going to make a post relevant to the thread.

How about OSI - Office of Strategic Influence, limited edition? The entire thing is made to look like a passport, and the two CDs reside in paper jackets bound inside the passport. The booklet is bound to the packaging between the two CDs and retains the passport theme.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #28 of 52
....ANY hooo... back on to something that other people are actually interested in.

Tool's Lateralus has some interesting packaging. Its hard to describe the pagaging but they made very good use of translucent plastics and flip books. Very cool packaging and even better artwork. Well done.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
....ANY hooo... back on to something that other people are actually interested in.

Tool's Lateralus has some interesting packaging. Its hard to describe the pagaging but they made very good use of translucent plastics and flip books. Very cool packaging and even better artwork. Well done.

Alex Grey is one hell of an artist.

BTW, there is a hidden word in the artwork on the second last page.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Tortoise ....I have their album "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". ..........and for once in a while, a progressive (indie?) group with pretty good lyrics!

Tortoise has pretty good lyrics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back