Unusual:Head-Amp for MC Cartridge?
Mar 30, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 9
They don't actually mean head as in headphone.This type of amp is usually used to amplify the MC cart signal so it can be feed into a MM phono stage instead of using a step up transformer.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 9
OK. I thought something was amiss.
biggrin.gif
Thanks Rob N

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 9
But, I think you COULD try using a headphone amp to add some gain to the signal, but it wouldn't sound good. You need to have a RIAA or other equalization filter to add bass. The input and output impedances probably wouldn't match will with the equipment either.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
They don't actually mean head as in headphone.This type of amp is usually used to amplify the MC cart signal so it can be feed into a MM phono stage instead of using a step up transformer.

I don't think it's a step-up transformer replacement - 10 dB of gain would be enough for that. That thingy is supposed to have 30 dB, enough for a real mc phono preamp... I guess, for them mc head just means the same as mc pickup.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N

I've seen things fitting Rob N's description. When I was a newbie I was almost driven nuts by a preamp that had an RCA out labelled head amp. It was for a MC-MM stage.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm pretty sure they're called head amps because they're a-HEAD of the preamp, which is ahead of the amp... the head-amp is at the head of a three-amplifier chain in other words.

They are also known as MC amps, MC phono stages and pre-preamps.

J!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back