Unused Orpheus system
Apr 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Deftoned

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I had a bit of a religious experience today for a headphone-nerd.

I had some spare time after work, so I thought I would swing by a small "local" audio(phile)-shop (with only one employee, a grumpy old man). I've been there once before, but I was quite hesitant to walk in there again, the store-owner isn't very nice... Well I bit the bullet, because I knew he had some fun stuff in there, and I was quite curious, so I went in there.

Well he had a lots of cool stuff in there.

But one thing trounced them all. In a monter behind some speakers, I saw it... The HEV90 and by its side, the wooden box which contained a brand new, never used HE90 headphone.

I had to ask him. He said that it had been on sale for about 18k(when it was new), but since no one had bought it in all theese years, he was going to keep it. But he said that he might be willing to sell it for about 30k (dollars).

Well, the reason I'm writing this is just that I'm a bit curious of what a brand new never used Orpheus system would sell for. And... I'm guessing there might be someone potentially interested in this.

That was all
orphsmile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 32
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 32
Wow, $30,000 is about 3 times the market value for the system, so I doubt even desperate buyers would consider purchasing them. In a few years, however, who knows what the resale value will be, so he may indeed get his money's worth for them.

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 32
he couldn't sell for 18,000 so now he would sell for 30,000?

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he couldn't sell for 18,000 so now he would sell for 30,000?

Hahaha, I think he was high when he said that.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 32
30K? Holy cow.... was he just pulling your leg?

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 32
Apr 28, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 32
You can get it on eBay right now for $9900 (Item number: 220105380428)
He relisted it for the second time and nobody buying it!
Look suspicious but if you live nearby and can go to pick it up then scam out of question.

Vlad.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 32
If I recall correctly, I've seen an Orpheus-system(new) sell for more than that (30k) in Sweden. But I'm not sure, the site that stated this(another hi-fi retailer) has withdrawn the inforamtion.

No, I dont think he was kidding me, but on second thougths he might have been exaggerating with a ludacris number just so he could prove he wasn't going to sell it (atleast not to me).

He said that he had had for sale when it was new, but since it's now getting more collectors value, he was going to keep it. As long as nobody is willing to pay premium for it.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 32
Just send him flowers and maybe he can smell the reality of life again
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I recall correctly, I've seen an Orpheus-system(new) sell for more than that (30k) in Sweden. But I'm not sure, the site that stated this(another hi-fi retailer) has withdrawn the inforamtion.

No, I dont think he was kidding me, but on second thougths he might have been exaggerating with a ludacris number just so he could prove he wasn't going to sell it (atleast not to me).

He said that he had had for sale when it was new, but since it's now getting more collectors value, he was going to keep it. As long as nobody is willing to pay premium for it.

May 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 32
Yeah I know this is an old thread, but since I know this man (I bought all my stuff at his place) I thought I could write something here.

I agree he is a little special. He has a great amount of stuff in his store, one time I asked him what those McIntosh speakers I had seen there cost, One million SEK he said it's about 146'200 US Dollar, Ok has anyone ever bought any of those? I asked, he said No. The whole system cost: 346'229 US Dollar. He also used to have some Sonus faber stradivari homage, I guess he has sold them actually.

I also asked about the Orpheus once if he had ever used it: "No" I don't think he wants to sell it at all, but everything has it's price. But what a wast of nice stuff!!

Link:
http://www.hifistallet.se/index2.php

May 11, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 32
TBH though, if I had a pair of Sonus Faber Strads ($40k [$50k list] speakers, hence much easier to sell than $100k+ speakers) or a fancy McIntosh system, not even the Orpheus would get much use
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back