UNSW Library Meet 22nd August
Aug 5, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #226 of 317
Omg I know... But as things usually go, I send an email somewhere to someone about something, ring them to remind them I sent it, wait a week, ring back only to find out they missed it and will "get right on it". lol

Unfortunately none of them are balanced. But I thought with the ol'Woo6se hanging around I would have a bit of a listen with the different dacs.
I thought the Ultra Micro would be interesting to someone as there doesn't seem to be much Headroom stuff in AU.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #227 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably from 12~6. Juzmister. Remind me to book the rooms and you could also ask torpy or Caution to help book as well if they don't mind since they're UNSW students.

Yep, just let me know if you need more bookings, there's a limit of one 2 hour booking per person as far as I know..

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #228 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a slight hitch with my gear list. The Sabre32 will not be ready on time, ATM it's on ply wood and it's too much of safety hazard for stray fingers.
So I'm sourceless for this meet, and do not intend even contemplating the 840c as it's a bad match.

Without a stellar balanced source at the helm it'll be a let down ...

I'll bring the HD800's no problem, I've a single ended adaptor, and will bring the Beta22 - but don't see the point unless like I said there's a source of the same calibre.

Jeremy how's your sabre tracking?

Tom, I know you might have yours ready - but you'd want to show off your system together as one unit. So that's understandable...

well its not really. its should be shipping as we speak, brian hasnt returned my emails the last couple of days. it was all set to ship, but they were short one trannie, so had to wait till this week. whether I have it cased well enough to bring on a plane with me by then is another thing.

I have all parts I need for the build here already and also just bought a new power conditioner if anyone is interested for me to bring that down. has 8 ports in 3 sections, 4 for digital, 2 4 pre-amps and such and 2 for power amps. has universal outputs so can use whatever power cables you like. pretty bloody heavy though
frown.gif
so yeah I guess it really depends on how long it will take to do my enclosure, since the actual build time for the dac itself is not that bad.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #230 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be bringing the Little Dot DAC_1 which has balanced and SE outputs; optical, coax, RCA and USB inputs.
Sure, it's not in the same league as the Sabre, but it'll be there.

Thanks elliot42, I appreciate that - but in all honesty I would rather showcase it with something I’m intimately familiar with beforehand.
The 840c for example, which is a fairly OK DAC is a let down in this system. It seems the source can make or break my set-up, I hope that didn’t sound like I have my nose stuck in the air - I just want to get the right impressions out there, especially second time round.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #232 of 317
Quote:

The 840c for example, which is a fairly OK DAC is a let down in this system. It seems the source can make or break my set-up, I hope that didn’t sound like I have my nose stuck in the air - I just want to get the right impressions out there, especially second time round.

I agree, especially with an amp/headphone as revealing as those two. A full-bodied, musical and refined source is a must, IMO. With more coloured components downstream you can get away with a less capable source, but the Beta and HD800 are too clear a window.

I'm hoping that I'll actually have a Sophia for my Woo this meet, as well. My old one died on me and I'm in the process of getting a warranty replacement.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #233 of 317
Quote:

I hope that didn’t sound like I have my nose stuck in the air

No, didn't sound that way. I can understand the need to have the right source for the setup and pairing $1400 headphones and multi-thousand $$ amp with a $300 DAC isn't an ideal situation. Just offering it as an absolute last resort if there's nothing else balanced available
tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing the HD800 again, but this time I'll bring more CDs I'm familiar with.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #234 of 317
well, my flights are booked an are non-refundable, so you guys better book that room or else!!! just received word of my buff32 and it will be on the way as of monday, so I figure it will be here by the end of the week, I chose the fast shipping option. so its just a matter of putting together a case for it in time. JH|13 will definitely be here ;p and several other shiny things
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #235 of 317
The UNSW Library information desk is open at 12pm and closes at 4pm (where we book in). I think we only have to book from 12-4. Can probably stay after the information desk closes, I doubt we will be kicked out.

UNSW students, make sure to get on the site next Saturday to make sure we get the rooms.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #236 of 317
Well, I can make a booking online a few days in advance for one of those timeslots (12-2 or 2-4), and yea, we get to keep the room after the desk closes. We won't get kicked out till the library itself closes (which is at 6 I think).

I'm guessing we're going to want to 412, 406 (which are the 14-seater rooms) or 402 (which seats 10).

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #237 of 317
Ok, excellent. I can use my sisters student number to book as well. Can you and Caution book the other room?

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #239 of 317
Sure thing. I'll let ya know when the booking's possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back