Unsticking araldite glue
Mar 29, 2006 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
I brought some used amps a few months back that have wooden cone feet added. Unfortunately they have been glued on with araldite and I need to get them off. With these feet on I am very limited to what racks I can buy to house my system on, just to much height. Any body know how I might get them off with out recking the case work, or is it not possible?

wood.jpg

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I did a quick search and it appears that the name "araldite" is actually a brand name which can represent any one of several different adhesive formulations. Many adhesives have specific solvents which will work with them. Perhaps you could do some surfing to see if you can find a solvent which would work, although since there seem to be various different adhesive formulations under the "araldite" name, you'd first have to identify which type was used. Perhaps, if you do know the type, finding a package of it would tell you how to remove it.

Actually, the first thing that came into my mind (so proceed at your own risk if you choose to try this ) was that since you have a bonding of metal and wood, perhaps rapidly subjecting the unit to extreme cold, such as putting it in a freezer for an hour or two , would contract the metal and wood at different rates/amounts and break the bond. It might take a tap or two with a hammer after freezing to finish the job. Then again, even if that did work, you might still wind up with glue residue on the case which may or may not be a problem. Again, that's just my idea. I have no idea if it would work or not.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

http://www.nfgsales.com/araldite2000.htm

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm not sure of that brand of glue, either. For what it's worth, here are some of my favorite solvents:

Denatured alcohol
Mineral spirits
Acetone (nail polish remover)
Goof-Off

I can't think of anything I haven't been able to remove with those four.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Hammer and good sharp chisel. One good blow in the right place will seperate the feet from the chassis.... the shearing strength of the araldite should be published on their website somewhere and it will be measured in Newton Metres (nM) you may be surprised just how easily they seperate if you whack them sharply in the right place, you could also consider clamping them and twisting them off. Before the "whack" in the right place applying heat with a hairdryer may be a good idea.

Honestly, if you fart around with solvents and prod at the thing you're likely to make a right old mess...... mole grip the feet and give them a bloody good sideways "whack" (whack the molegrips) should shear off no probs.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for replies will go with the brute force method Mike. I have some clamps (below) that I brought when I built my speakers. The grip you can get with these is massive nearly bust up my speakers when I first used them. Will get good leverage with them as well as their will be a long bar to grab hold of. Will keep you posted.

12werwt.1.jpg

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
What amps are those?

They are Croft. I just had them upgraded by them a few weeks ago, real sweet amps. Amar at Croft is one cool guy to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back