Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #20 of 326
Thanks for starting the thread Rensek.

I've got a couple of unbuilt decade old Oatley Electronics K272 6418 headphone kits plus some spare tubes at the bottom of my parts bin so I'm up for a coaster build.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6418-Tube-Preamp-Headphone-Kit/
I may even build up one of the K272 kits so I can make a comparison.

I may have to see if those kits are still around. I am always looking for something portable to take outside. I can use a large battery pack but something small and handy would be nice.

I have built the Whammy from DIYaudio, a class a headphone amp and while I am more of a tube guy, that amp is amazing. Right now i listen to it more than most amps I own.

I have experienced shipping to other countries and will probably avoid it from now on.
Thank you @Paladin79 . Probably won’t ever build one, but have enjoyed following you building yours.

Thank you ZZ, if I get the time I may do a few extra builds to help folks out, I have been involved with electronics since college but like many, I am more used to thru-hole circuit boards.Pretty much every company I have been with has moved me into management and paid for a lot of post grad education but I still like to work with tools and build a few things myself. It is never easy for me to teach a person something that I cannot do myself and I like to stay up on technology.

This is not an easy build by any means but I am adapting to it, I may need to get other tweezers and adapt a bit but I am used to figuring things out.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #21 of 326
Jul 8, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 326
Jul 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 326
I need to get with Jason tomorrow on a slight issue but my amps are working fine once the relay kicks in, luckily I have one to experiment with sitting around. :smile_phones:

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 326
Thank you ZZ, if I get the time I may do a few extra builds to help folks out, I have been involved with electronics since college but like many, I am more used to thru-hole circuit boards.Pretty much every company I have been with has moved me into management and paid for a lot of post grad education but I still like to work with tools and build a few things myself. It is never easy for me to teach a person something that I cannot do myself and I like to stay up on technology.

This is not an easy build by any means but I am adapting to it, I may need to get other tweezers and adapt a bit but I am used to figuring things out.

Absolutely.

If you've ever thought about it or find yourself with the time to, where would you (or anyone else here) direct me (or anyone else), if I was interested in getting into DIY amps. I'm guessing a complete noob would start with something other than an amp. But with what or where would that be?

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #25 of 326
Bottlehead or DIY Audio. Build a Bottlehead Crack first

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 326
F6453DF3-F595-4686-BF51-5828AFF3845E.jpeg I built a few and they are well documented and have a big following on here. $200 on sale, completed ones for $650 on EBay, I have turned down much more for mine but it was serious work.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 326
@Paladin79 That rig is ridiculous, steam punk and oh so cool :thumbsup:

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #30 of 326
1/8 inch copper plate, top, front and back, I added the patina. Cabinet is one inch thick quartered oak. I modified headphones to match, changed low impedance closed to high impedance open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back