Unofficial CES 2013 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45
So, is anyone else here at CES 2013?  If you are, feel free to share your experiences and impressions while we await the official Head-Fi coverage.

Unfortunately, I didn't to see too much today as I was stuck over at the Hilton (the ass end of CES).  Don't ask, it was for work so I had to be there today.  Likewise, tomorrow will be fill of meetings so I don't know how much headphone sightseeing I'll get to do.

Here's a smattering of what I've come across so far:

Meelectronics is showing off some dual [dynamic] driver IEMs.  I didn't get a chance to see/hear them at all, but I wanted to snap a quick pic as I walked by.  I'll go back for more details and a listen.

Meelec's also got some sort of "Diamond Tears" like cans.  They're big enough to be circumaural (assuming you don't have huge ears), and they've got some kind of quartz vein thing running down the sides.

And finally, a pic of their new EDM Universe offerings.  The visual is a bit too saccharin for my tastes, but if they sound good I'll wear 'em.  I'll wear anything that sounds good, my manhood is beyond dispute.

Looking for a funky DAC/amp for your iDevice (not Lightning connector)?  AddOn was on hand to show off their Telefunken i-Concerto series DAC/amps.  There's a large i-Concerto with three tubes and a small i-Concerto with two tubes.  Both have a built-in iDock.  Again, no time to sneak in an audition.  But if anyone is interested, I'll try to go back for some more information and some impressions.

Finally got a chance to listen to the new Ferrari by Logic 3 cans (from the Cavallino Collection).

The smaller T250 (supraaural) is typical bass heavy fare.  Looks great, sounds not so great (unless you're looking for bassy cans).  Meanwhile the larger T350 (circumaural) is pretty fantastic.  Still a bit weighty in the low end, but relatively balanced otherwise with a warm and natural presentation.

Both today and tomorrow are devoted to work, so that's all I've got for now.  But I'll be posting some more fun stuff soon.  If you are at CES right now as well, please feel free to share! 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 45
Sounds good! I heard Denon was releasing a new line, IDK if it's gonna be at CES or not, but if it is, can you drop on by and tell us how it is? Thanks! :xf_eek:

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 45
I have a meeting with Denon on Friday.  So assuming I don't get a chance to get info before then, I'll definitely get the scoop on Friday. 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 45
I have a meeting with Denon on Friday.  So assuming I don't get a chance to get info before then, I'll definitely get the scoop on Friday.  :smile:
Okay! Thanks Warren! Can't wait! :D

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Looking for a funky DAC/amp for your iDevice (not Lightning connector)?... if anyone is interested, I'll try to go back for some more information and some impressions.

I have a passing interest.  If you get a chance for a quick listen, I would be interested to hear what you have to say.  Don't go out of your way though, I'm sure there are much bigger fish to fry!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 45
You've got to check out FiiO's booth for the X3 if you got the chance. They've told the thread that they're bringing a near-production unit there.
THIS before Denon!!! :p

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:
Quote:
You've got to check out FiiO's booth for the X3 if you got the chance. They've told the thread that they're bringing a near-production unit there.

THIS before Denon!!!
tongue.gif

LOL, I'll do my best. 
wink.gif

I didn't get to do hardly anything at all today.  It was meetings, meetings, meetings, work, work, work all day long.  But, at the end of the day, I did get to stop by the Sennheiser booth.

(Head-Fi member weirdfishes shown at right w/the orange bag)

Of course, the place is decked out like a Sennheiser showroom with everything available for auditioning.  And then...

The mighty, mighty Orpheus.  That's the one they had behind the glass case.  There was another one in the listening booth nearby.  Before you ask, no I didn't get a chance to hear it.  It was the end of the day, I was totally beat, and I have plans to come back tomorrow.

But I did get a chance to audition the Momentums.  It was actually rather pleasing.  Lightly veiled mids, and bassy enough to not be considered neutral, but a pleasing listen nonetheless.  A decent pair of portables with just the right amount of swank.

And who should I happen to run into while I'm there? 

Didn't want to barge in the meeting room, but Jude (and Joe) seemed in good spirits when we chatted after.  He has been - as one would imagine - unbelievably busy.  Big thanks to Jude for all the Head-Fi coverage.

Overall, a productive day for me work-wise, but thoroughly unsatisfying hobby-wise.  I'll have to make up for that tomorrow as I hit the South Hall and the Venetian in force tomorrow.

::yawn:: now onto dinner and nightlife...
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 45

THIS before Denon!!! :p

LOL, I'll do my best.  :wink:

I didn't get to do hardly anything at all today.  It was meetings, meetings, meetings, work, work, work all day long.  But, at the end of the day, I did get to stop by the Sennheiser booth.

Of course, the place is decked out like a Sennheiser showroom with everything available for auditioning.  And then...

The mighty, mighty Orpheus.  That's the one they had behind the glass case.  There was another one in the listening booth nearby.  Before you ask, no I didn't get a chance to hear it.  It was the end of the day, I was totally beat, and I have plans to come back tomorrow.

But I did get a chance to audition the Momentums.  It was actually rather pleasing.  Lightly veiled mids, and bassy enough to not be considered neutral, but a pleasing listen nonetheless.  A decent pair of portables with just the right amount of swank.

Didn't want to barge in the meeting room, but Jude (and Joe) seemed in good spirits when we chatted after.  He has been - as one would imagine - unbelievably busy.  Big thanks to Jude for all the Head-Fi coverage.

Overall, a productive day for me work-wise, but thoroughly unsatisfying hobby-wise.  I'll have to make up for that tomorrow as I hit the South Hall and the Venetian in force tomorrow.

::yawn:: now onto dinner and nightlife... :smile:
Ooh... hope you start having fun, and you get to listen to the almighty Orpheus! LUCKY!!! :D

EDIT: What is Jude doing with that huge backpack, it must be his coughstolencough stash of headphones/amps/DACs for "further research". :p

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
Ooh... hope you start having fun

Last night wasn't too bad.  Beer, limo, gin & tonic, tapas, more beer, unwholesome stuff that shall not be discussed here, Ben & Jerry's, crashed.  All the while hanging out with some amazing people.  I've had worse nights. 
smile.gif

Today should be a good.  I get to start off the day by checking out (what is supposed to be) an amazing 5.1 soundbar.

Quote:
and you get to listen to the almighty Orpheus! LUCKY!!!
biggrin.gif

From what I have been told, it is quite the experience.

Quote:
EDIT: What is Jude doing with that huge backpack, it must be his coughstolencough stash of headphones/amps/DACs for "further research".
tongue.gif

LOL!  You'd think so right?  Actually I've seen it.  It's packed with tons of Photo-Fi gear.  Not glamourous perhaps, but that's where all those awesome photos come from.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 45
Last night wasn't too bad.  Beer, limo, gin & tonic, tapas, more beer, unwholesome stuff that shall not be discussed here, Ben & Jerry's, crashed.  All the while hanging out with some amazing people.  I've had worse nights.  :smile:
Wait, so after the "cannot be discussed" you went out and bought ice cream?!? :eek:

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 45

Looking for a funky DAC/amp for your iDevice (not Lightning connector)?  AddOn was on hand to show off their Telefunken i-Concerto series DAC/amps.  There's a large i-Concerto with three tubes and a small i-Concerto with two tubes.  Both have a built-in iDock.  Again, no time to sneak in an audition.  But if anyone is interested, I'll try to go back for some more information and some impressions.

Does anyone else think that AddOn missed an opportunity to use a cool hot rod name like "Tri-Power" for that first amp??

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

LOL, I'll do my best. 
wink.gif

::yawn:: now onto dinner and nightlife...
smile.gif

One of these days I'll actually listen to a Sennheiser headphone.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:
Thanks for the coverage.  Those Ferrari T350 are pretty good right? 

Yeah, they're really not half bad.  I heard the T250 first, and that was thoroughly unimpressive.  So I didn't have very high hopes for the T350.  Turns out it was much more balanced than I thought it would be.  Still too rich for my blood due to the branding, but pretty decent sound for some very pretty cans.

Quote:

Bring a BIG backpack like Jude so you can carry all the free goodies from Denon. :)

Hmm, I doubt I'll be getting free goodies.  I think it's more of an information-gathering meeting, which means that I'll get to audition a bunch of stuff! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Last night wasn't too bad.  Beer, limo, gin & tonic, tapas, more beer, unwholesome stuff that shall not be discussed here, Ben & Jerry's, crashed.  All the while hanging out with some amazing people.  I've had worse nights. 
smile.gif

Wait, so after the "cannot be discussed" you went out and bought ice cream?!?
eek.gif

Sometimes, that's all that's left to do. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone else think that AddOn missed an opportunity to use a cool hot rod name like "Tri-Power" for that first amp??

Maybe they thought it might be confused with something a little less awesome, like TriPath or something.

Quote:

One of these days I'll actually listen to a Sennheiser headphone.

We're gonna need to fix that. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back