Unique, vintage pair of Grado SR-80's (pics)
May 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had these for a while now, but thought I'd post some pics of what might be one of the rarest Grado headphones I've seen (at least from my experience). It's a vintage Grado SR-80 with the HP-1 headband, aluminum mesh driver cover (usually only seen on the SR100's, SR200's and later the SR-225's and SR325's) and terminated with a 1/4" plug. I believe they have the transition drivers as the cloth is pinkish. Would be even cooler if they had the HP1000 drivers like we've seen in some SR100 and SR200 pairs, but can't have it all, right? Anyway, they sound really nice... similar to but not as good as the excellent SR200's I once owned that had the HP1 drivers in them (that I still regret ever selling). I'm guessing they have the same drivers that were used in the regular SR100 and SR200 headphones. Anyway, hope some of you vintage Grado aficionados enjoy this. 

May 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 6
  I've had these for a while now, but thought I'd post some pics of what might be one of the rarest Grado headphones I've seen (at least from my experience). It's a vintage Grado SR-80 with the HP-1 headband, aluminum mesh driver cover (usually only seen on the SR100's, SR200's and later the SR-225's and SR325's) and terminated with a 1/4" plug. I believe they have the transition drivers as the cloth is pinkish. Would be even cooler if they had the HP1000 drivers like we've seen in some SR100 and SR200 pairs, but can't have it all, right? Anyway, they sound really nice... similar to but not as good as the excellent SR200's I once owned that had the HP1 drivers in them (that I still regret ever selling). I'm guessing they have the same drivers that were used in the regular SR100 and SR200 headphones. Anyway, hope some of you vintage Grado aficionados enjoy this. 

Nice...I had a pair of SR80 for a while that matched yours, except no metal mesh, plastic. Pink transition drivers too. People reading this will gasp in horror, but I woodied them in some African Blackwood cups. They sounded gorgeous. I eventually sold them to fund my explorations into making my own cups. No regrets really, but they did sound pretty damn good...

May 17, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Did they have the same rounded metal headband as the HP1's? I've seen various different SR80's over the years but have never come across another one with the old style headband. I've only ever seen SR100, SR200, SR300, and SR325 headphones with this headband, and all of those had HP-1 drivers in them. I've also never seen a 1/4" plug on the lower models. It almost seems like a mistake or something on Joe's part, or maybe he ran out of parts and decided to improvise (which is not exactly hard to believe since there have been so many variants for Grado's over the years)

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Based on the minimal responses though it seems like vintage Grado's have pretty much been forgotten around here. Either that or there just aren't that many of such pairs left, or the owners are keeping them to themselves. Too bad as I really, really love the sound signature of Joe's headphones. To me they have a way more realistic (neutral) sound through the frequency spectrum than anything John has put out, all without being boring. They are more transparent and image better. I will definitely be keeping this weird pair for a while

May 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Mine had the HP1 headband too, but not the HP1 drivers. I think the listing I got mine on put them in the nineties as well...not 100% on that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back