Unique melody wire
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Andybi78

New Head-Fier
I have just sent off my ear impressions and shure se530 to ampcity for a remould and would like a new wire too, what other brand wires will fit as only upgrade on amp city is £150 and I was thinking of less go start with.
also is an amp required or will my iPhone suffice .

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 17
Chris_himself does some pretty cheap ones. Great value for money from what I hear.
qusp does some as well, bit higher end but great quality and loads of options for materials and customization (I have 2)
ALO has a few, no experience with those.
Custom-iem.com sells quite a lot of the Beat Audio ones
Whiplash Audio has the TWag V2 which is great.

Check out this post for a bunch of reviews. http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/13-custom-iem-tf10-cables-reviewed-uber-muzik-v5f-added-1-03-2012

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 17
Chris_himself and qusp are both users here on Head-Fi who do custom cables for IEMs (the connector is the same for UM/JH and alot of others). And yes, they will fit the UM reshell :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 17
Aren't they all pretty much like the Westone-style connector? Generally, most wires will fit your UM reshells as the connectors are more or less similar. To answer your second question, you won't need an amplifier unless you really want a minimal increase in sound quality, but then you'd need an LOD as well to prevent double-amping. Your iPhone has plenty of oomph to power them if not more.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 17
Our connection is sightly different to the Westone, JH, whomever else's connector.  The difference is mostly in the pin diameter.  Cables not made for UM IEM's that best fit our IEM's are cables made for Westone IEM's.

To date we have officially worked with Beat Audio, Ampcity and Qusp, all of whom have access to our pins and socket detail.  We hope to continue to add to this list!

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 17
Matt, why did UM deem it necessary to deviate from the industry standard pin-sizing?

This is unnecessarily obstructive to customers who may already have invested several hundred dollars in expensive silver cables for other custom IEMs, and who, quite legitimately, wish to use these expensive cables with other CIEMs in their collection, including, perhaps a Merlin or Miracle - why stand in their way by intentionally making UM gear incompatible..?

It's not as though UM even make competing high-end aftermarket cables, (theoretical) sales of which they might conceivably wish to protect through use of proprietary connectors.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 17
Whatever the discussion was, here's I think what I need to clarify:

Basically, most pins from most custom IEM manufactures have the same pin diameter and even the same distance between the pins. 
The issue occurs at the same of the sockets as some are recessed, some of flat, and some have weird connector shapes such as the new UE type. 

I talked about this with Beat Audio long time ago, and that's why you guys no longer see the recessed/flat option for socket types. 
Beat Audio hates all the different socket types as well, just like how many devices have different charging ports, and we always have to carry so many different chargers around. 
Thus, they came up with the one-type-solves-all solution with their current connector that looks like the recessed type. 
This way, it will be compatible with most sockets. 

There are still some weird ones such as sockets from 1964 where their recessed sockets are more recessed than others, but you just have to notify me when ordering to avoid incompatibility issues. 

The socket realm of the custom earphones are actually already a lot better than those universal fit ones where the IE8 connectors are obviously deviate from the se535 ones. Those are the ones that Beat Audio took some serious effort on, and all those connectors now look superb in my opinion. But then there's sony....sigh...as always...(and they even invented a new type of micro sd just for their ps vita ><)

So, if you have a JH or Westone cable, you can use it with UM earphones as well. The issue is that never plug and unplug cables too often (obviously don't do it daily), since they will obviously become loose after a while. Thus, only do it when necessary. 

Enjoy music and enjoy life!
~ Stephen

Quote:
Matt, why did UM deem it necessary to deviate from the industry standard pin-sizing?

This is unnecessarily obstructive to customers who may already have invested several hundred dollars in expensive silver cables for other custom IEMs, and who, quite legitimately, wish to use these expensive cables with other CIEMs in their collection, including, perhaps a Merlin or Miracle - why stand in their way by intentionally making UM gear incompatible..?

It's not as though UM even make competing high-end aftermarket cables, (theoretical) sales of which they might conceivably wish to protect through use of proprietary connectors.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 17
I just got my unique melody reshells today and had bought a effect audion Athena to go with, however there is no right or left symbol on the wire. They are covered though one with a plastic black tip, one with white tip.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 17
I just got my unique melody reshells today and had bought a effect audion Athena to go with, however there is no right or left symbol on the wire. They are covered though one with a plastic black tip, one with white tip.

So is this a question you're asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back