Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #3,664 of 3,931
Quote:
I just bit on a sweet as the audiologist did not have the block to bite on, will it affect the ear impression? 

it depends...it's a bit a game of luck. I did my first impressions without biteblock, left ear was perfect, right ear needed to be refited

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,667 of 3,931
Quote:

what is the difference if I tensed my jaw muscle?

If you tense your jaw muscles, there is a high probability that it will alter the shape of your ear canal while the silicone is curing.

That's fine if you tense your jaw muscles while listening to your CIEMs, but if you keep your jaw relaxed when listening, then you may have issues with seal.

Others may deride what I'm saying but getting a good seal with CIEMs is a very fine line.

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #3,670 of 3,931
Only thing my audiologist asked me to do is to snap my jaw one time. After that I was free to relax or whatever. I even coughed like dozen times. Seal is perfect.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3,672 of 3,931
Ah. I'm in my ** Edited - see post below** week of waiting for my customs to come back, and I used a bite block..

But I honestly have no idea if I tensed my jaw or not. Now I'm nervous.. Needing a refit is my biggest fear at the moment, considering the current wait times. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,673 of 3,931
One thing I should have pointed out (which, I think, is mentioned in the thread I linked) is that people vary in the amount of change of shape of their ear canal between different jaw positions. So for some singers (who use their CIEMs with their jaw in all positions, whilst performing), they retain a good seal, but other singers may lose seal during singing because their individual anatomy happens to be that their ear canal changes shape quite a lot as they move their jaw.

So, in that respect, it can be pot-luck as to whether your ear canal changes shape a lot, between different jaw positions.

As for tensing your jaw muscles, I would still avoid this as much as possible whilst having ear impressions taken, since you're not going to be tensing your jaw whilst listening to your eventual CIEMs, unless maybe you like chewing gum!

Wait and see. If you need to have a re-fit, then you'll be in good company - a surprisingly large proportion of CIEM buyers do not have a successful seal first time around (although I have found UM lab to be particularly excellent in their fit - they absolutely nailed my fit, first time, unlike FS, who were disastrously poor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back