Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,986 of 3,931
Thanks AnakChan, I was relieved to see your comments about the tight feel and after about an hour they are already starting to feel a little bit better.  I'm really blown away by the sound on these right now.  I did a simple TF10 reshell.  I've been listening to TF10s for a few years now so I expected the only improvement to be a better fit/seal.  I thought I had been getting a good seal before but somehow everything sounds improved with this UM reshell.  I would almost doubt that they used the right guts if they hadn't sent me the obliterated shells of my old TF10s.

Only downside is that they ignored my request to have the color transition from translucent black to translucent purple.  That is kind of a shame since this involved quite a bit of money and effort... I would have liked to be able to say they are 100% perfect.  I'm also nervous about how long the cable will last.  I baby my headphones as best I can and yet the cables still seem to break ~ once a year.  The thought that I'm locked into only using cables from UM from here on out makes me nervous.  Pics below because... well... I'm excited so why not.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,987 of 3,931

Quote:
Only downside is that they ignored my request to have the color transition from translucent black to translucent purple.  That is kind of a shame since this involved quite a bit of money and effort... 

Great remoulds. I've just passed the 4 week mark for my SE530x4, sadly no word on when they're going to arrive. Yusuf at ampcity.co.uk said he'll get back to me on that one soon. Can't wait to have a listen to them.

I went for a similar Purple>Smoked Black combo on mine so I hope they do it right. That said, yours look awesome as they are.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,988 of 3,931
i just got back my reshelled CIEM. not sure how a custom should ffeel it as it is my first. they do block out quite abit of sound. maybe the same as comply but when i press them in they block out alot more. is it because they are too loose? or it is supposed to be like this.

thought of putting heat shrink ( transparent ) on the tip that goes into the ear to have a tighter fit..

CIEM noob haha

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,989 of 3,931
May I ask how long the turnaround time is?

Mine isolate well enough however if I'm at a presentation (with speakers, etc), then they don't isolate the volume from the presentation speakers.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2,991 of 3,931
I'm a noob myself but that sounds pretty loose.  When I first got mine and put them in my ears felt "stuffed".  I definitely don't feel any need to (or benefit from) pushing on them.  I also would be hesitant to put heat shrink on anything going that deep into my ear.  
Quote:
i just got back my reshelled CIEM. not sure how a custom should ffeel it as it is my first. they do block out quite abit of sound. maybe the same as comply but when i press them in they block out alot more. is it because they are too loose? or it is supposed to be like this.

thought of putting heat shrink ( transparent ) on the tip that goes into the ear to have a tighter fit..

CIEM noob haha

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,993 of 3,931
I had a request for a few more pictures of my reshells.  For colors I requested:

Faceplate color: Black (translucent)
Shell Color: Purple (translucent)
Tip Color: Purple (translucent)
and then in special requests I wrote "Transition from [size=10pt]Translucent Black to Translucent Purple"[/size]

[size=10pt]I don't think they did the transition, but the end result is still pretty nice.  [/size]

So in the first image you can see that the faceplate is actually quite thin.  There is really only a thin layer of translucent black on there.  The second shot compares the very purple inside to the darker purple faceplate.  The final shot is of a gross ear.  Weird.  But hopefully it gives some idea of what they look like while being worn.  I like that they look unique on the inside but don't look over the top while being worn.

Also, I noticed that these let me turn the volume way down when I'm listening to music.  I expected that and it is probably great for my hearing but... well... they don't sound as good at the lowest volumes.   Is that just a fact of life with headphones or is it possibly something to do with my source (usually an iphone or macbook pro)?  I'd love to keep those super low volumes that are great for my hearing but also the great quality sound at the more moderate volumes.  I still haven't tried turning them up LOUD yet.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,994 of 3,931

Quote:
So in the first image you can see that the faceplate is actually quite thin.  There is really only a thin layer of translucent black on there.

It's a typical faceplate, you know? It's not too thin or too thick

They look nice, though. Black is not overwhelimg the rest of the design, which looks actually good.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,995 of 3,931
Has anyone upgraded their 4 driver customs to UM 8 drivers ? I am wondering if anyone has some impressions. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2,996 of 3,931
what tips does UM use on its demos, i have a universal model of the Miracle, not a demo, just a universal... and i would really like to kno where i can pick up some more tips for it, or tips that will fit it, its quite a wide nozzle...

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,999 of 3,931
what tips does UM use on its demos, i have a universal model of the Miracle, not a demo, just a universal... and i would really like to kno where i can pick up some more tips for it, or tips that will fit it, its quite a wide nozzle...

medium compy T400 or T500 (t500 fits better for the 'old mold' (3 month ago or longer?), since you could put it on more easily - tho the pics are of the new mold (errr not sure if they even used it for any other orders) http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/571313/user_id/125162 on the old mold Tx500 fit great and some say reversed T400 fit well too. The new mold I had had nozzles too shallow but for large comply T500

If you use reverse fitted comply tips, you may need to trim off the plastic with an unsafe razor.

I'll get to try their 'new' UMAus/Global mold in the next 1-2 weeks and eventually write about my universal UM experience : )

>Raaggh been waiting 4 weeks for my reshells since sending impressions now and no update except they got them.

EMS?

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #3,000 of 3,931

Quote:
Raaggh been waiting 4 weeks for my reshells since sending impressions now and no update except they got them.

You should email them for updates, at least that's what I did when I was curious when my reshell's going to be finished. My reshell's approaching the 5 weeks "promised" turnaround time since UM lab received them. Hopefully it will turn up sometime this week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back