Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,591 of 3,931
Mage owners might be happy to know, UM will upgrade them to 6 driver monitors. Mine should be here tomorrow. I'm kinda confused as to what they are exactly. I know they have been working on a 6 driver monitor and it was in the final stages of testing, so I was under the impression it used the same TWFKs, so when upgrading to the 6 driver monitors, I just assumed I was getting the new 6 driver design. But after emailing them asking for the name, (4 driver UM = Mage, 6 driver UM = ?) I didn't really get a solid answer. So, I'm not sure if I'm getting the new UM 6 driver monitors or simply a Mage 6 driver upgrade. Anyways, I'll let everyone know how they sound.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #1,593 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone its review time!!!!!!!!

Lets get the background straight. I loved the TF10 Pros. In fact I instantly knew that they would be my sound signature of choice once I heard them. I even had some fit problems, but I was able to get through all the problems after ordering some dual flanges. I went through trials with other top universal IEM's like the se530, Westone 3, and the IE8. All of them were more comfortable, none of them sounded as good. They were all in the area, but if you have ever been to a concert, a good rock and roll concert you know that the mids of the se530 are just not natural. What people have been forgetting is that the best pair of headphones reproduce sound as it is performed, not synthesized. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that if the TF10's were put into the shell of lets say the se530 instead of its Frankenstein esq shell then it would be the most popular universal IEM around.

I did not do this through sam, although I was in contact with him while my phones were at Unique Melody. I did this through Hi-Fi Taiwan, which actually ended up costing me a little more than it should have, but Sam would not get back to me at the time.

Here are some pics (sorry, only have a cell phone):

I have spent about a month with my custom IEM's and have been impressed by them every day. I had a pretty good fit the the TF10, but the sound coming from these is something different. Its like going from a fairly high end violin to a Stradivarius, the music is taken to another level. Nuances are there that had previously never existed. Hearing the string vibrate till it stop, even the flavor of the wood comes in the tiniest places. That's the difference between a universal iem and custom iem. It's not the overall sound that changes, its the many nuances. The sound is let louse. The artist can perform.

The sound stage expands. You would think that it wouldn't since the TF10's sound stage is pretty big for an IEM already, but this is definitely bigger and more detailed. The sound stage is about equivalent to The Denon D2000's if that gives you an idea. Pretty good even for a full size, but there are definitely better. If you guys have ever heard an HD800 through a headroom balanced, then you would know that sound stage on the D2000's is pretty small in comparison.

The mids. They are slightly less recessed than on the TF10 pro. I think this could be because the seal is so much better with the customs than the universal. I still wouldn't call them lush, but they do have some detail. They are nothing like the Westone 3 or the se530's mids.

Lows and Highs- The lows go deeper and the Highs stay about the same. The Treble extension is not as harsh, but just as detailed as the TF10 Pro. Really not much to say, but if you are a TF10 pro fan you will still get your upper and lower extension.

The Bass- Deeper, and has more impact. Fast.

Overall the sound is thicker, more detailed and refined than its universal brother. I am pretty happy with the purchase, and encourage others who are thinking about this to take the plunge if you are thinking about going away from the TF10 because of comfort.

frankenshel lol

its not that bad, but i need mine reshelled

i wonder if the ue5eb takes any punch away? as thats the main reason i rock them

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #1,594 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mage owners might be happy to know, UM will upgrade them to 6 driver monitors. Mine should be here tomorrow. I'm kinda confused as to what they are exactly. I know they have been working on a 6 driver monitor and it was in the final stages of testing, so I was under the impression it used the same TWFKs, so when upgrading to the 6 driver monitors, I just assumed I was getting the new 6 driver design. But after emailing them asking for the name, (4 driver UM = Mage, 6 driver UM = ?) I didn't really get a solid answer. So, I'm not sure if I'm getting the new UM 6 driver monitors or simply a Mage 6 driver upgrade. Anyways, I'll let everyone know how they sound.

Can't wait your review
beyersmile.png

Btw their triple driver custom "AERO" is $449, quad driver custom "MAGE" is $549, so I guess their new 6 driver custom is around $750
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,595 of 3,931
Listening to my "Mage 6" now (at least, that's what my frequency response graph says). I'm almost certain this isn't the new 6 driver monitor they've been working on, but simply a Mage remold with additional drivers. I've been trying to reach Sam to ask him, but he hasn't bean on lately.

I'll post pictures later, but they definitely sound great and the fit is perfect. Even better than my original Mages and TF10 remolds. These sound better than the original Mages to my ears. They definitely provide more bass and impact as most people agreed, the Mages lacked. The highs and mids are just as crisp as they were before and instrument separation and clarity kicks the shi* out of my TF10s.

I'm so glad I get to put these TF10s away (and don't have to EQ anymore).

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #1,597 of 3,931
I bought a pair of used JH13s ... of course not custom molded to my ears. Will use the for a while but want to send them off to get remolded. I hear good things about UM and I live in Tokyo so the proximity is convenient. I have been quoted $159 for the remolds. Question: Has anyone had any 13s remolded. What is your impression. And does anyone have anything else to add or ideas? Thanks up front.

Skoog

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #1,598 of 3,931
I've sent my pair of JH13 Pro to UM about 6 weeks ago. They have confirmed they have the parcel and asked me to pay 159$ exactly 4 weeks ago.
I am still waiting to have them remolded and shipped back (apart from "we'll let you know", no news since), hopefully soon. I suspect another 2 weeks until I get them in UK.
I will keep you updated.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #1,599 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by revenge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've sent my pair of JH13 Pro to UM about 6 weeks ago. They have confirmed they have the parcel and asked me to pay 159$ exactly 4 weeks ago.
I am still waiting to have them remolded and shipped back (apart from "we'll let you know", no news since), hopefully soon. I suspect another 2 weeks until I get them in UK.
I will keep you updated.

Revenge,

Thanks for letting me know. I am looking forward to hearing your impression.

In the meantime I will enjoy the 13s even though they were molded for someone else's ears.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,600 of 3,931
Hi all,

haven't touched this forum since I got my Freq shows..

I'm anticipating the new iphone soon and wanted to use that as my main hp/listening device.
I'd like to be able to use the remold with the iphone.

UM said they can do it with the vi cable, but they need me to send the cable over? any idea why? i thought it'd be a standard UE custom jack? are the customs different from the triplefi slots?

I know the triple fi has this recessed bit which is also on the vi...

My quandry is this.. i've read about the vi cables not lasting very long and if i'm too disappointed with them I'd want to go back to standard null audio/ue/westone cables... would this be possible or am I stuck with some slot that can only fit the triplefi kinda cables?

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #1,601 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM said they can do it with the vi cable, but they need me to send the cable over? any idea why? i thought it'd be a standard UE custom jack? are the customs different from the triplefi slots?

if you look on the product page on UE's website for the vi cable it says it won't work with the customs...

vi cable just slips in and out of the custom sockets, ie they don't stay in at all

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,602 of 3,931
oh I do see that now!!

oh dear.. no wonder they needed me to send in the cables so they could mould one for it.. that means if i ever need to change it back to custom cables i'd be a goner!!

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,603 of 3,931
For reassurance, UM has remolded plenty of JH13s, so don't worry too much. Sam was even nice enough to send me the frequency response graph for the JH13.

Slowth, if you do get universal sockets (to fit your vi cable), you are not out of hope. A lot of people have used custom cables (Westone, UE, etc.) with their universals. While most people have to file the plugs down and around to get a good fit, I remember reading some people just push like hell and get them in. So you can still use custom cables if necessary.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see why anyone hasn't contacted one of the cable makers to see if any of them would be able to make a custom cable using the mic from the vi cable. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult for them.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,604 of 3,931
i guess we'd think it could be quite an upcost to get someone to mod a custom cable that way.

UM did reply back about why I need to send in the cable.. something about puttin a control chip inside the remold or something? i should still be able to do what you talked about yes? didn't even know there's another chip involved!!
Well UM has said they've done the vi version before so at least it'd work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back