Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,908 of 3,931
I do have experience with UM UK. Suffice to say, things really didn't go as planned. So i went ahead and CCed Stephen in one of the email conversation. After that everything went smoothly! The powers that Stephen be!
biggrin.gif

Which stephen do i need to CC? I'm also having problems with UM UK. theyre not responding to my emails.

May 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,909 of 3,931
All, this is my first post so I hope I don't offend by posting a question in this thread.

I have owned a pair of se530 for about 7 years. I have used them daily and they are now showing their age, albeit only cosmetically. The cable is now starting to crack and as you'll be aware this cannot be replaced (or can it?). I have no reason to switch from Shure and it would make sense for me to pick up a pair of se535.

However for the exact same price I can get my se530 reshelled with the additions of a 4th driver.

I have no reason to move the se530 on apart from the cable. But I don't think I can handle the wait for UM to get them reshelled.

I guess what I'm asking is will the reshelled with a 4th driver be that much better than new pair of se535? I appreciate this is subjective, but all thoughts are welcome. I don't have the money to try a few different options, so it will be a one time decision.

P.S. If it's better for me to start a new thread please just say.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #3,911 of 3,931
Hello, thinking about to reshell my Westone W50.

Anyone here with a Westone W50 reshell, impressions ? Should I add a driver?

Thanks Tony

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,914 of 3,931
I'm not terribly thrilled with the workmanship on my UE 18 Pros reshelled back in Nov. '11.  They did fit well and sound great.  However, the left one broke in my ear less than two years after purchasing as I was removing.  I was lucky pieces didn't fall down my ear canal.

Anyways - I notified Stephen at the time just so the problem was on the record - but I didn't want to go through the bother of mailing it back to China and waiting for its return unless I had to.  Anyways, it broke again and seems much more brittle now.  I realize it's now 4 years post purchase, but the problem occurred less than two years post purchase (I even sent them photos at the time) and I didn't make a fuss as I was able to handle with glue (although it looked crummy as a result).

I asked Stephen a couple months ago what would happen if they break again and his reply back was I'd be out of luck and in for $300 to reshell ... that's certainly not standing behind their workmanship!  To quote: "Custom iems don't last a life time because our ears do change shape every few years, and reshells are necessary as well. Like buying a car, there is maintenance cost associated with earphone purchases."

Oh well - I'm just venting as I guess I'm out of luck if the glue does not hold again.  At some point, gluing it back is not going to work any longer.  

He did say back in Nov. '11 "If the problem worsens in the near future, email me, and i will solve it for you accordingly.".  I guess I should have taken him up on it then vs. wait and see if the glue might solve the problem in perpetuity (which if it worked would save UM the cost/time of a reshell and me the trouble of getting molds done again and shipping back to China).   If I took care of it then, it would have presumably been at UM's expense, but even though I acted in good faith and waited to see if the glue would be a permanent fix for poor workmanship, repairing it now will be at my expense.  

Clearly these shouldn't snap in your ear as you put them in or out!

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #3,915 of 3,931
  Got my TF10x4 the other day after spending much time in this thread. My TF10 were falling apart and I figured I might as well reshell them rather than buy another set of universals.

I chose the TF10 with an extra driver on each side instead of the top TF10x8 model because I was a bit wary of the TF10x8 sound signature. The TF10x8 would be a lot of dough to drop if I ended up not liking it. Still, I'm not entirely sold on the sound of the TF10x4. It can sound a bit unnatural at times. They also seem a bit more sensitive than they used to be.

The overall process took 5 weeks. I dealt with Stephen Guo at custom-iem.com. Communication wasn't perfect, but better than I expected dealing with a company half way across the globe. Shipping from UM after being made was quick (3 days total according to FedEx tracking).

The disassembled TF10 housing was sent back:

The CIEM themselves. Build quality seems fairly good to me (wiring is clean, not much bubbling, if any).

The FR graph:

how much is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back