Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #361 of 484
My review is nearly done, all your questions will be answered then.
Btw, PP6 is a CIEM earpiece, DAC+6-amp combo. DAC is based on Algorythm Solo from what I heard, bi no tri-**** 6- amping is done by 6 different amps and active crossover filter is done by a DSP from my guess.
I don't think any of the above matters because a) low, med, hi have really good isolation and definition, I think the active crossover works to a degree, b) DAC amp is definitely better than my F7 + O2 combo, c) There is no- at least to me- noise introduced by tri-amping and the gain filter, so all's good.

TL;DR: It sounds fantastic, but wait for my review.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #362 of 484
Very excited to read this review! Thanks for sharing....
popcorn.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #363 of 484
Quote:
Btw, PP6 is a CIEM earpiece, DAC+6-amp combo. DAC is based on Algorythm Solo from what I heard, bi no tri-**** 6- amping is done by 6 different amps and active crossover filter is done by a DSP from my guess.
I don't think any of the above matters because a) low, med, hi have really good isolation and definition, I think the active crossover works to a degree, b) DAC amp is definitely better than my F7 + O2 combo, c) There is no- at least to me- noise introduced by tri-amping and the gain filter, so all's good.

I am looking forward to your review.  I am getting a customized unit so I can really compare apples to apples...

And, UM is running a Christmas promotion...everyone that gets a PP6 will get a free adapter cable when they are available. The Miracle and Merlin are also available at a discount.  Go to the Facebook page for more details.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #364 of 484
I guess that the DAC/amp will downsample all 24/192 files ?

Also Will The DAC support ALAC files !

And finaly, is thé DAC supported by the Samsung S3 ?

Tanks

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #365 of 484
A (no rooting required) Samsung Galaxy S3 can include another USB audio software than the stock one: USB Audio Recorder PRO
"Supported are mono and stereo streams, 16-bit and 24-bit and any sample rate (up to 192kHz) that the device provides."
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/]http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1020

Some USB DACs, like the FiiO E17, not working with stock USB audio software, can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO:

music stored on Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Recorder PRO player > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #366 of 484
Quote:
A (no rooting required) Samsung Galaxy S3 can include another USB audio software than the stock one: USB Audio Recorder PRO
"Supported are mono and stereo streams, 16-bit and 24-bit and any sample rate (up to 192kHz) that the device provides."
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/]http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1020

Some USB DACs, like the FiiO E17, not working with stock USB audio software, can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO:

music stored on Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Recorder PRO player > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Thank you so much, DanBa! You have no idea how happy I am right now. 
The USB Audio Recorder Pro app is still somewhat buggy, but that would be fixed of course as time pass. I hope there are similar apps out in the future that's made for playing music. 

Here's a picture of what I'm listening to right now:

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #367 of 484
Quote:
The USB Audio Recorder Pro app is still somewhat buggy, but that would be fixed of course as time pass. I hope there are similar apps out in the future that's made for playing music. 

Damn Stephen...I have no interest in the PP6 but that pix is making my mouth water!

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #368 of 484

Come on... We can't wait anymore to read it ! Pleaaaaase post it ! :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #369 of 484
I would not say it's dark sounding, a la LCD3, or even the HE500 to a very minor extent. Dark to me implies a fairly even slope downward.

The bump in the "cloud" only refers to upper bass and to a certain extent lower mids, i.e. centered around ~200Hz. Personally I don't think it's veiled in this region from a technical point of view, but a bump here could certainly cause that perception. I could be wrong. The lack of perceived low bass is very troubling though. Treble is clear but strident (a peak?) - becoming fatiguing after 45 minutes. I suspect better results with the correct tips and deeper insertion. I'll play around with it more a bit and see if I can make it work better.

Never heard the Miracle.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #370 of 484
Quote:
I would not say it's dark sounding, a la LCD3, or even the HE500 to a very minor extent. Dark to me implies a fairly even slope downward.

The bump in the "cloud" only refers to upper bass and to a certain extent lower mids, i.e. centered around ~200Hz. Personally I don't think it's veiled in this region from a technical point of view, but a bump here could certainly cause that perception. I could be wrong. The lack of perceived low bass is very troubling though. Treble is clear but strident (a peak?) - becoming fatiguing after 45 minutes. I suspect better results with the correct tips and deeper insertion. I'll play around with it more a bit and see if I can make it work better.

Never heard the Miracle.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.  I have tried numerous demos, which is what the PP6 is, and some are better than others, for example good demos I have heard include Rooth, and UE while the bad have included UM and JHA.  So I offer a word of caution about the low bass region as that is an area where I have noticed a lack in most demos that aren't there for the real versions I own.  A deeper insertion may increase the deep bass.  

Let us know your thoughts after more experimenting.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #371 of 484
Quote:

Thanks for posting your thoughts.  I have tried numerous demos, which is what the PP6 is, and some are better than others, for example good demos I have heard include Rooth, and UE while the bad have included UM and JHA.  So I offer a word of caution about the low bass region as that is an area where I have noticed a lack in most demos that aren't there for the real versions I own.  A deeper insertion may increase the deep bass.  

Is the demo Purrin's holding a prototype or it actually resembles the final product? I thought the PP6 design was finalized already and ready for production?

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #372 of 484
Well, this is my very first review, here it goes.

Overview:

When I had first heard about PP6 from a Uni tutor, I heard “Tri-amp”, “Active-crossover”, and “2200$”. Normally, I thought the guy was out of his mind. I had already purchased my Fostex TH900 nearly half an year ago and already owned a Unique Melody Miracle paired with Fiio F7 and Stepdance2/O2 amp, buying PP6 was out of question.
However, when I got my first pay from my internship and my secondhand O2 finally broke without warranty, I decided PP6 might be worth an adventure.

Lesson on Active vs Passive

One of the main features of PP6 is the active crossover, unlike passive crossover of many headphones, IEMs. As you know many sound systems cannot cover all audio spectrum-frequencies- with a single speaker. It is inefficient and leads to horrible clipping noises. There is two solutions for this, active and passive crossover.
Passive crossover uses a passive-non gaining-filter consisting of resistors and other signal processor to split the signal from amplifier. Typically, the set up consists of a single amplifier which takes the signal from Source->DAC and splits them into corresponding frequency therefore speakers.
Source->DAC->Amp->(SpeakerHiFreq, SpeakerMidFreq, SpeakerLowFreq)
Active crossover uses an active crossover filter which feeds signals suited for different frequencies to multiple amps of corresponding frequency. I’m pretty sure-correct me if I’m wrong- that PP6 uses a digital signal processor to feed into the 6 (left,right)*(low,mid,high) amps.
Source->DAC/DSP->((left,right)*(low,mid,high)amps)->Corresponding drivers.
Active crossover is generally considered superior as each drivers are better insulated from others and reducing the distortion, power efficient, and generally leads to sound with less clipping. However this maybe counter with introduced noise due to the gain-process.

Order and Delivery:

Order was easy, through the Unique Melody Aus. After that, I got my molding done in a recommended audiologist in Parramatta. It was pretty much the same as when I got my miracle, took 15 minutes on both sides and wasn’t too uncomfortable.
Delivery was slightly more complicated. I submitted my order on early October and hoped to get the device by November 25th as I had my flight back to Korea. The complication arose from the CIEM cable, the previous model was too loose and had to be replaced. I got my PP6 delivered to me on 5th of December. It took significantly longer than my miracle which both me and my friend’s were delivered less than 3 weeks. However, I heard other people getting theirs after 3 months, I decided it wasn’t too bad.

Build Quality and Fit:

Fit was superb. I thought my Miracle fit was pretty good, but the PP6 fit was as tight as possible without feeling uncomfortable. I used my PP6 during my flight to Jeju and it had arguably almost as good isolation as my Quietcomfort 15. I also used PP6 while having tea or light meal without too much discomfort.
Build quality of each unit is also superb. PP6 DAC Amp is enclosed in a small-very small indeed considering there was 3000mah battery, 6 amps, and a DAC- aluminum case. The volume knob was smooth and secure, same with other controls. The earpieces too were very well done: no bubbles, my request artwork beautifully painted in. The cable was eye-catching and was not prone to tangling, it’s connection to the DAC/AMP was solid as.
However, PP6 wasn’t entirely without problems. The forementioned issue with cable and earpiece connection wasn’t entirely fixed. Yes, it was reasonably secure, but there were couple of times when I was trying to equip or unequip my PP6 the cable disconnected. Thankfully, my earpieces were very well molded and never fell to the ground, still I was getting pretty worried with the connection. I think the cable connection is one of those things that will get very worn over time. If it gets worse, I will just have to glue mine in.
EDIT: After nearly a month of use, it didn’t get noticeably worse. However, the miniUSB in for PP6 is a bit fragile, just be careful. Use optical if possible, connections are rock solid.

Mobility and Isolation:

Isolation is excellent and considering the PP6 Amp’s small size, this may well be my favorite portable rig. The only limiting factor of this is the connectivity of PP6. I cannot use it with my Android phone nor tablet; I could only use it with my desktop PC and the bulky battery sucking Macbookpro. I’m seriously considering Surface Pro for my PP6, I mean DX100 is 800$, with that price tag, I’d rather buy the Surface.
EDIT: Updates with Android compatibility: Nil. The audio tester, audio recorder apps do not work with PP6 ,they do recognize it but I hear white noise with heavily distorted music. Working on it now. For 100th time, PP6 do not work with GS3 for now.

Sound Quality:

Get ready for poor grammar, unfinished sentences, and way too many adjectives!

In the end, I never had any experience with the noise problem mentioned in active crossover part.

Conclusion:

Well, this is where I summarize my experience with PP6 and tell you whether you should buy it or not. Few things first:
-          PP6 have the sound signature of CIEMs, especially that of UM which means clarity, nice focused bass-sometimes, even over most frequency ranges and so on.
-          Compared to headphones with dynamic transducers, obviously PP6 would fail to let you “feel” the bass, depends on person but it never really bothered me. Also, if you try CIEMs for the first time, you will feel that sounds are much more “crowded” due to the combination of small soundstage and fuller sounding med’s.
-          PP6 IS NOT Miracle, they have different sound signatures. I guess this would largely depend on which DAC/AMP you have, but with my O2+ Fiio 7, O2, O2 + solo, O2 + Stepdance 2, it was different. I dare say the changes in PP6 were improvements: clarity surprisingly improved, nice interference/beats, reinforced bass.
Now is PP6 worth 2200 price tag? Depends, but I’d say yes. The reasons for it are:
-          Miracle which is 900$ which is pretty cheap for what you get, add to that Algorythm Solo-maybe couple or three of them because PP6 is Tri-amp- battery, nice build quality, cable, DSP, magical tri-amping thingy with active crossover, etc, and you get 900+500*2+???= 1900, yes I think the price reasonably justified.
-          But is it worth it? Ie) Is active crossover worth it? Well to begin with, only other active crossover experiment I had was with my dad and our quad-amped setup with old-but good- speakers. I can’t say “Oh that active crossover is sooo good” but I can say “there is a definite improvement in sound from Miracle”
-          It is not bat-crazy. For an example, you pay 5000$ for Sony R10 and bet the sound quality would be worth it. Now, with R10 you are betting all that money with no warranty whatsoever and a decade old technology. With PP6, you can try something new that’s technically sensible, with warranty, and in a neat package. I think it is worth an adventure.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #373 of 484
Sorry for the lateness and poor quality of the review. I was away on a skiing trip and when I read bmicheal's post, I was like "damn, I completely forgot about that." I tested 25 songs a day and took awhile. I'm still doing more tests-perhaps with AAC and different set ups. Tell me what you guys want to see next.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #374 of 484
Quote:

UM, that set up is not working with other Android devices ATM eg: Transformer Prime, Nexus 4, and Galaxy Nexus.
Also, it would be marvelous for someone in UM to make an app-player or plugin for other players like PowerAMP- for PP6 usb.
Cheers.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #375 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went scrounging around the house to find some tips I knew would work. Because I was able to obtain a good seal this time around, the bass issues (emphasized upper bass) I previously had completely went away. The tonal balance is much better. In comparison to the UERM (powered directly from the Sony X):

1. UERM is has more forward upper mids.
  2. PP6 has more overall bass. This is not a bad thing since as I mentioned before, I apply slight bass boost to the UERM to increase its enjoyability factor (the UERM just sounds too much like an accurate studio monitor.) The level of bass emphasis is not excessive. Given that the black box already has three levels of bass boost, I would have preferred a more neutral presentation.
  3. UERM has more apparent sub / low bass extension. We are talking about ~35Hz here. There is just more presence and power on the UERM with those low low low notes. We are not talking about bass slam here. I don't know if this is a limitation of the black box or not. Amps tend to play a part on making or breaking this aspect of sound reproduction.
  4. PP6 has a lower treble peak. There is some stridency in the treble, sibilance with voices, sharpness with snare drums (depending upon how they are tuned), splashiness with percussion etc. Many HF readers know that I am sensitive to treble peaks (probably an understatement). I find the treble peak of the PP6 tolerable somewhat, although fatigue does set in for me after 30 minutes*. The lower treble peak is the PP6's achilles heel.
  5. UERM is more refined tonally. Difficult to quantify this. Tonally, the UERM sounds smoother, more cohesive, and less ragged throughout the entire audio spectrum. This has always been one of the UERM's strengths.

The PP6 have a little bit of that U shaped frequency response thing going on. Not a bad thing. Most people like a little more bass, and a little extra treble helps for those who have damaged hearing (which I'm convinced 80% of young people today have.) I noted on the black box, there is bass boost switch. I wish there were varying levels of treble cut! Haha.

As I've said before, I've had a lot of experience building active speakers. The benefits of going active are definitely discernible here. I'm astounded at the level of precision, control, instrument separation, space, openness, and "blackground" of the PP6. It should be noted however that the UERM does gets much closer to the PP6 (in these "active amping" aspects) when driving with separate outboard amp such as the UHA-6. But oftentimes, I just like to keep things simple and just plug the UERM into the Sony X directly.

Finally, a serious disadvantage of active is that we are limited somewhat to the customized active circuitry. The amp / active circuitry in the black box are not nearly to the quality of say the UHA-6 or ALO Rx mk3 (two of the best portable amps I've heard at their respective price points.)  How did I come to this conclusion? I fed various sources into the black box (PerfectWave mk2, Sony X, my modified DCX2496, iPhone), and its very obvious the amp section is a very strong limiting factor. It doesn't scale, and it very much has its own sound signature. It's a bit on the sterile sounding side**. But as I've indicated before, this limitation is likely to be of little consequence in actual portable use for the majority IEM users (I know many of you think all DACs sound the same!) The black box isn't bad though, just not what I would expect of a balls-to-the-wall implementation.

Niggles:

1. The turn-on pop is unacceptable. It's rather loud and ear damaging. (Happened to me the second time when I wasn't paying attention.) It's pain to remove IEMs to turn on the black box and put them back on again. If this were a premium Apple product and I were Steve Jobs, I would have strangled an engineer (a la Darth Vader) for this oversight.
  2. The volume goes from no volume to moderate volume from the 9:30 to 10:00 position.

For reference and comparison so readers can calibrate according to their own personal preferences:

* I can last just a little bit over an hour with the ER-4S. I think highly of the ER-4S with deep insertion and some EQ.
** Heck, I think the iPhone4 and iPod Classic are sterile sounding too, but to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back