Unique Melody Newest Flagship-- Mason Fabled Sound Special Edition/Mason Fusang CIEM&UIEM
May 11, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #451 of 1,311
May 11, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #452 of 1,311
1620778430797.png

May 11, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #453 of 1,311
/comic sans
"Never be the Same Again"

What's so bad about that? :wink:

I don’t like marketing tag lines on my products, it belongs on the box or in the promotional materials.

May 11, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #454 of 1,311
I don’t like marketing tag lines on my products, it belongs on the box or in the promotional materials.
I plan to use this at the bar...

"How would you like to never be the same again...?" :smirk:

oh god that's creepy

May 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #455 of 1,311
Man, have you decided on your next DAP?

For a pairing with FS, I would highly recommend you try P6 Pro over C9. Andrew has a demo unit.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #456 of 1,311
Came back to this thread after a few days of listening to the FS and I am very sad to see so much mention of the IEM that comes packaged in a $0.50 cardboard box...you know, the IEM with a $0.50 acrylic shell? Yes, I own it as well, but this thread is my happy reprieve from that thing!

-Collin-

May 12, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #457 of 1,311
Came back to this thread after a few days of listening to the FS and I am very sad to see so much mention of the IEM that comes packaged in a $0.50 cardboard box...you know, the IEM with a $0.50 acrylic shell? Yes, I own it as well, but this thread is my happy reprieve from that thing!

-Collin-
You’re right-birds can’t survive in the desert :frowning2:

May 12, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #458 of 1,311
After five continuous days of burn-in, I believe the FS has fully settled in. The following are my initial impressions without comparing it to others in my collection, so please consider these observations as of yet non-definitive until I do a comparison.

First, a little background. Here are my top 3 artists so you get an idea of what music I enjoy although my tastes truly span from bebop in the 50s to the British invasion in the 60s to progressive rock in the 70s to new wave in the 80s to grunge in the 90s and indie/edm in the 2000s:

Male Artists…………….Female Artists…………..…Bands

Matthew Ryan………….Kate Bush…………………Talk Talk
Neil Young……………...Tori Amos………………….New Order
Israel Nash…………..…Sinéad O’Connor…………Massive Attack

I’m currently using a Sony ZX300 with MrWalkman’s custom firmware that elevates the sound to a WM1A level. I also own an SA700, but I cannot use it with the FS due to the 4.4mm connector. I’m actively trying to sell my SA700, but if I don’t, I’ll buy a PWA AK adapter as recommended by @bluestorm1992. If I do sell it, the jury is still out on its replacement.

Being relatively new to flagship IEMs, I don’t have the vocabulary yet to go into detail about the Mason FS (@Deezel177, I would love to read a review by you on the FS since your detailed observations in your reviews are quite excellent and informative, no doubt due to your experience as a musician and recording engineer), but clearly it is a reference level IEM as would be expected for its price. As I hear it, the midrange is the most glorious frequency range with a sweetness that is addictive and fully engaging. Traveling upwards, before burn-in, the trebles are very warm sounding but I was happy that this tonal quality changed after about 75 hours of play to a more extended, detailed sound with good shimmer and decay. The bass performance is pretty neutral to my ears, and I do find myself adding a couple dB around 120Hz, similar to what I do with my Odin. I like mid-bass presence finding too much sub-bass detracts from long listening sessions due to ear fatigue.

All sounds good so far, but the FS does have an upper midrange bump that reminds me a little of the Odin. Not as pronounced for sure, but like the Odin, the FS really shines with well recorded material, especially hi res files. I would love to see a graph on the FS; perhaps @UniqueMelody can post one so I can confirm my observations.

Like @F700, I‘m not too fond of the term, technicalities. I’m not sure why … perhaps it’s due to my high end home audio experience where we never used this word for soundstage and imaging description. Anyway, staging/imaging is the most unique aspect of the FS. I commented in an earlier post it feels like I’m on stage with the performers instead of in the audience. Additionally, on some recordings, a strange phenomenon occurs where the imaging reaches behind one’s head, really spooky to hear when it happens! The z-axis is very different from what I’ve heard before. The stage is not in front of you, rather, it’s on the same plane as one’s head, very intimate sounding. The x-axis is very wide although I’ll have to do a comparison with the Odin and V14 at a later time to see how it compares. The y-axis is very good, so all together the term, holographic, is appropriate here (I do believe this is often overused in comments and reviews).

OK, that’s it for now. Is the FS worth its asking price? To the experienced audiophile who has slowly graduated up the ladder to flagships, I believe it is although the premise of diminishing returns applies here, but in my case, the music listening experience has become immersive.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #459 of 1,311
So has anyone dared to try any other cables on the FS? The stock cable is obviously very high quality, but I am struggling with comfort. Maybe it’s the angle that the cable sits on my ear, because the Traillii cable feels fine and comfortable (and they’re very similar ergonomically). Just curious if anyone has tried anything else? First up on my list to try is the Iliad, will report back.

-Collin-

May 12, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #460 of 1,311
So has anyone dared to try any other cables on the FS? The stock cable is obviously very high quality, but I am struggling with comfort. Maybe it’s the angle that the cable sits on my ear, because the Traillii cable feels fine and comfortable (and they’re very similar ergonomically). Just curious if anyone has tried anything else? First up on my list to try is the Iliad, will report back.

-Collin-
Same with Iliad for me. Tried it for a short session last week and it appeared to be a bit too V shaped. This was a problem for me since I found the vocal to be a bit too recessed (before the burn-in).

I am now pairing FS with P6 Pro so the recessed mid thing has become much better. Will pair it with Iliad this afternoon and see how things go. :)

May 12, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #463 of 1,311
Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #464 of 1,311
That is an old iem! Unique melody me.1

Screenshot_20210512-175021_Samsung Internet.jpg

bad assumption on my part, I saw the picture on UM’s twitter feed, so I assumed it was current. Thanks for the correction. 👍

May 12, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #465 of 1,311
bad assumption on my part, I saw the picture on UM’s twitter feed, so I assumed it was current. Thanks for the correction. 👍
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back