Unique Melody Newest Flagship-- Mason Fabled Sound Special Edition/Mason Fusang CIEM&UIEM
Apr 14, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #1,291 of 1,311
Orpheus if it is 4 feet long, is $154.50 per inch.

Does not sound so bad when you think about it that way. Pushes my comfort level, too much for a cable, best for me not to hear it.

I liked Mason FS with the P6 Pro, keeps it pocketable, agree about when switching from another set it takes an hour or so for me to appreciate the FS again.
I really really don't mean this in an argumentative way, just explaining why people do this insanity :D I don't want a DNA Stellaris or the Verite C, because I'm always moving -- because the rental market is f-d and my landlady throws me out, or my boss fires me, and I have no long term sense of security whatsoever. So I feel like IEMs can go with me anywhere. However bad things get, I can always put them on and go to that beautiful, immense soundstage they produce. And leave this place behind. Feels to me I can listen to my Orpheus-FS under the bridge, or in a tent in the beach in Brighton, in March, if it comes to that. What will I do with a DNA Stellaris there? Orpheus makes that soundstage I'll go to feel like Louis XIV's summer home. I can also sell it more easily, and post it more easily, etc, when I need to turn it into cash. (At least it feels like that)

I don't have anywhere further to go with IEM's than the summitest of TOTL. And I don't have rental security for anything else. Economics, and generational economics especially, affect hifi a lot. In the 70s people knew they'll have a BIG ASS HOUSE. So they got speakers and a stereo system for that. Totally useless nowadays. We're packed so tight into apartments I can't listen to anything above laptop speakers without the neighbours coming to knock. I got Emit M-100 speakers somewhere in a storage unit costing me money just to keep them there. This is the economy behind the head fi boom we're all seeing for the past 15 years. I think IEMs are better suited to soothe that uprooted anciety than full sized cans. That's why we see endless special editions and variations on earphones, huge leaps in earphone tech, thousands of releases every year -- and immense, cutting edge material science in cables especially -- but headphone releases are much slower.

Another thing is, I just love cables with IEMs. They're whatever for speakers and meh for full sized cans. But IEMs dont' have a soundstage, so, for some reason no one quite knows yet, the cable forms a massive part of the soundstage the mind constructs. It's genuinely mysterious stuff. Why do these gauge differences and wire architectures and exotic material combinations have such a striking psychoacoustic effect? Cable manufacturers don't know either. They just try out a ton of different things, experiment until something has a cool effect, then they refine it, etc. It's kinda like they synthesized amphetamine and LSD in the thirties and twenties. Those were the molecules, they made them, took them and reported what they do to the human body. Many did nothing. Some did amazing things. They didn't know why and how they do those things, what neuroreceptor the molecule affects etc. But they made them, and tried them. They were psychoactive. We're flying blind with cables like that too, cables are also psychoactive. PW Audio "first times" is named that because Peter Wong tried, for the first time, combinations of copper that that no human had ever tried to listen to. He spent lockdown like that. We get to listen to metals, listen to wire architecture...

I don't know, I just think it's a very cool thing to participate in, cooler to me than tube amps currently, which have been around forever. Tube amps are gorgoues though. When I no longer feel like I'll be thrown into Poor Jail if I sneeze the wrong way, I'll get one :D

This has been off topic and verging on cable-arguments -- please don't take this as an invitation to derail thread to cable fights :D Just wanted to share what the Orpheus means to me economically and conceptually.

So that this also inludes some Mason FS, I am glad to report that the yes, second day of test listening and the Orpheus is a much, much better cable for the FS than Attila. I can't imagine there is anything better out there right now either. What you need is a source that has lean mids so it balances things out. Orpheus adds mid thickness, source removes, end result is perfect. You get immense soundstage, better separation, and a touch of magic on top. Problem is, there are no lean-mids sources out there that I know of. Even AKs are fat, and L&Ps especially very juicy. The dx200Ti is that, but they don't make them like that any more.
@ Marat Sar: I still think those cable prices are crazy- literally- but you really got me with your last post :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,292 of 1,311
I really really don't mean this in an argumentative way, just explaining why people do this insanity :D I don't want a DNA Stellaris or the Verite C, because I'm always moving -- because the rental market is f-d and my landlady throws me out, or my boss fires me, and I have no long term sense of security whatsoever. So I feel like IEMs can go with me anywhere. However bad things get, I can always put them on and go to that beautiful, immense soundstage they produce. And leave this place behind. Feels to me I can listen to my Orpheus-FS under the bridge, or in a tent in the beach in Brighton, in March, if it comes to that. What will I do with a DNA Stellaris there? Orpheus makes that soundstage I'll go to feel like Louis XIV's summer home. I can also sell it more easily, and post it more easily, etc, when I need to turn it into cash. (At least it feels like that)

I don't have anywhere further to go with IEM's than the summitest of TOTL. And I don't have rental security for anything else. Economics, and generational economics especially, affect hifi a lot. In the 70s people knew they'll have a BIG ASS HOUSE. So they got speakers and a stereo system for that. Totally useless nowadays. We're packed so tight into apartments I can't listen to anything above laptop speakers without the neighbours coming to knock. I got Emit M-100 speakers somewhere in a storage unit costing me money just to keep them there. This is the economy behind the head fi boom we're all seeing for the past 15 years. I think IEMs are better suited to soothe that uprooted anciety than full sized cans. That's why we see endless special editions and variations on earphones, huge leaps in earphone tech, thousands of releases every year -- and immense, cutting edge material science in cables especially -- but headphone releases are much slower.

Another thing is, I just love cables with IEMs. They're whatever for speakers and meh for full sized cans. But IEMs dont' have a soundstage, so, for some reason no one quite knows yet, the cable forms a massive part of the soundstage the mind constructs. It's genuinely mysterious stuff. Why do these gauge differences and wire architectures and exotic material combinations have such a striking psychoacoustic effect? Cable manufacturers don't know either. They just try out a ton of different things, experiment until something has a cool effect, then they refine it, etc. It's kinda like they synthesized amphetamine and LSD in the thirties and twenties. Those were the molecules, they made them, took them and reported what they do to the human body. Many did nothing. Some did amazing things. They didn't know why and how they do those things, what neuroreceptor the molecule affects etc. But they made them, and tried them. They were psychoactive. We're flying blind with cables like that too, cables are also psychoactive. PW Audio "first times" is named that because Peter Wong tried, for the first time, combinations of copper that that no human had ever tried to listen to. He spent lockdown like that. We get to listen to metals, listen to wire architecture...

I don't know, I just think it's a very cool thing to participate in, cooler to me than tube amps currently, which have been around forever. Tube amps are gorgoues though. When I no longer feel like I'll be thrown into Poor Jail if I sneeze the wrong way, I'll get one :D

This has been off topic and verging on cable-arguments -- please don't take this as an invitation to derail thread to cable fights :D Just wanted to share what the Orpheus means to me economically and conceptually.

So that this also inludes some Mason FS, I am glad to report that the yes, second day of test listening and the Orpheus is a much, much better cable for the FS than Attila. I can't imagine there is anything better out there right now either. What you need is a source that has lean mids so it balances things out. Orpheus adds mid thickness, source removes, end result is perfect. You get immense soundstage, better separation, and a touch of magic on top. Problem is, there are no lean-mids sources out there that I know of. Even AKs are fat, and L&Ps especially very juicy. The dx200Ti is that, but they don't make them like that any more.
Feeling the honesty you express here.

Hey in the grand scheme of life’s total earnings and total spend these costs are fractional. And if it takes us places in our thoughts that make life more tolerable, great spend of our money.

At the end of the day music and how it modifies my thoughts is extremely important to me.
Gear that presents music in a new way than I am used to is also valuable as it inspires more listening.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #1,293 of 1,311

"Problem is, there are no lean-mids sources out there that I know of."

I think you should seriously consider N8ii. It's not exactly lean, but rather revealing and micro detailed without being bright or harsh, and with the unique ability to finetune the pair up synergy, going from either being transparent to tastefully colored. In my opinion, what sets this DAP apart is having access to Solid State or NuTubes + Solid State (not either SS or Tubes, because the Tubes are either enabled or disabled to give extra texture to the mids), Class A or Class AB amp type (Class A is where you get that smooth laidback magic in sound), and extra voltage boost going between P and P+ (does wonders to DD driver sound dynamics). I have a feeling you might have the same "where have you been all my life" feeling with N8ii as you have when you discovered Orpheus :wink:

What is unique about this latest Cayin DAP, with all the available tuning choices it offers, it doesn't change its sound as much as it changes its pair up synergy with your IEMs/headphones. Because the sound improvement I get with one pair of IEMs doesn't necessary applies to another pair of IEMs. And this is the coolest thing about this DAP. While I often go back to Mid Gain, P+, Tubes, and Class AB, I enjoy playing around with different settings to hear how it changes the pair up synergy, to find that sweet spot. And, it also a very fast Android DAP, so you get access to all the streaming apps. Definitely take it under your consideration.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #1,294 of 1,311
"Problem is, there are no lean-mids sources out there that I know of."

I think you should seriously consider N8ii. It's not exactly lean, but rather revealing and micro detailed without being bright or harsh, and with the unique ability to finetune the pair up synergy, going from either being transparent to tastefully colored. In my opinion, what sets this DAP apart is having access to Solid State or NuTubes + Solid State (not either SS or Tubes, because the Tubes are either enabled or disabled to give extra texture to the mids), Class A or Class AB amp type (Class A is where you get that smooth laidback magic in sound), and extra voltage boost going between P and P+ (does wonders to DD driver sound dynamics). I have a feeling you might have the same "where have you been all my life" feeling with N8ii as you have when you discovered Orpheus :wink:

What is unique about this latest Cayin DAP, with all the available tuning choices it offers, it doesn't change its sound as much as it changes its pair up synergy with your IEMs/headphones. Because the sound improvement I get with one pair of IEMs doesn't necessary applies to another pair of IEMs. And this is the coolest thing about this DAP. While I often go back to Mid Gain, P+, Tubes, and Class AB, I enjoy playing around with different settings to hear how it changes the pair up synergy, to find that sweet spot. And, it also a very fast Android DAP, so you get access to all the streaming apps. Definitely take it under your consideration.

Sounds amazing, how's soundstage width compare to SP2000S. I only have that one question about all DAPs and indeed all things in life. Ukraine war? Cool, cool... is the soundstage wide? Will it input c9 with a good soundstage?

Kidding aside, how is it? :D

EDIT: Got asnwers from googling your in depth first impressions of N8ii already, thanks for the good reviews!

(PS thanks for the compliments on my last post to fellow heafiers there :) Out of work writers like compliments.)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,295 of 1,311
Dear all,
i am new here because always write in another USA forum for high end and not earphones.
I always had good earphones since 1978 when i bought Koss esp9,was 18 years old,and then Stax Lambda,Gamma,Omega and 009 and 009s with amp Megahertz Guerra,but always listened very few because luckily i always had a dedicated room for my hifi system and sold all these earphones.
But i am becoming crazy for top iem
I have A&K AK 380 bought in 2015 and listened in travel,holiday,garden and had Final Fibass and Pianoforte X,good em but nothing special,Then i bought near 2 years ago Empire Wraith and was really a big step,but reading the crazy people in this forum push me to buy something better and i decided to buy Traillii and Red Halo Fe from Musicteck,Andrew is very kind and professional.
Andrew suggest to buy first Red Halo Fe because he had only 2 in stock while Traillii is always available,so yesterday arrived Red Halo Fe.

Attachments

• IMG_8994.jpg
    IMG_8994.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8998.jpg
    IMG_8998.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8997.jpg
    IMG_8997.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8999.jpg
    IMG_8999.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9001.jpg
    IMG_9001.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,296 of 1,311
Congratulations Gianni, you've got a great pair of IEM's there!

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,297 of 1,311
The box,accessory,leather box,cable,iem,all seems of good quality and started to listened yesterday and today for 6 hours.
My dap AK 380 is good but enough like new generation like AK 2000,LPGT,L&P,ecc so in future i will improve this.
What i can say is that i am shocking for the sound,Stax omega and 009 with Megahertz,was a very good sound but for me not exciting like this,could be i prefer the sound of iem. I was thinking to reached a high level with Wraith,but this is really much better in every parameter.
I don't know very well English so is difficult to do a detailed report but i found sound very very natural from mid bass to mid high,voice like Peter,Paul & Mary are magic and very real,the vibraphone of Jazz at the Pawnshop few time listened so real,fast and dynamic,the deep bass could be no deep like DD but in Le Temps passe of Michel Jonasz go down with big pressure than no need DD,the high are not shining but the triangle of La Folia De La espana is so clear and natural,Voice of Fabrizio de Andre' or Gianmaria Testa are so real,and ELP Brain salad Surgery has so many power that can give pain, and heifetz violin is so natural.
Instrument are big and there is a lot of space between instrunment
In my system listen only vynil and i have the 8 of among the best cartridges in the market because every has his little different sound,
and now all of you are responsible if i will be crazy of iem.
Now i am very happy and exciting to listen this Red Halo,but one my part of brain is thinking how will sound Traillii with first time and Aroma Jewel in comparison
Regards to everybody

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,298 of 1,311
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried the First time shielding with Mason FS? I recently wanted to upgrade my collection, either buy another TOTAL iem like Traillii or another high-end cable like First time shielding for my Mason FS, I still can't decide because I don't have time to try anything new recently, I don't know if shielded cables for the first time would be worth buying it as an upgrade for my FS. Need some advice from everyone, thank you!

Currently using a C9 + LPGT TI paired with FS, my current cables are Metropolis ft 50s and original UM Attilia cables.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,299 of 1,311
The box,accessory,leather box,cable,iem,all seems of good quality and started to listened yesterday and today for 6 hours.
My dap AK 380 is good but enough like new generation like AK 2000,LPGT,L&P,ecc so in future i will improve this.
What i can say is that i am shocking for the sound,Stax omega and 009 with Megahertz,was a very good sound but for me not exciting like this,could be i prefer the sound of iem. I was thinking to reached a high level with Wraith,but this is really much better in every parameter.
I don't know very well English so is difficult to do a detailed report but i found sound very very natural from mid bass to mid high,voice like Peter,Paul & Mary are magic and very real,the vibraphone of Jazz at the Pawnshop few time listened so real,fast and dynamic,the deep bass could be no deep like DD but in Le Temps passe of Michel Jonasz go down with big pressure than no need DD,the high are not shining but the triangle of La Folia De La espana is so clear and natural,Voice of Fabrizio de Andre' or Gianmaria Testa are so real,and ELP Brain salad Surgery has so many power that can give pain, and heifetz violin is so natural.
Instrument are big and there is a lot of space between instrunment
In my system listen only vynil and i have the 8 of among the best cartridges in the market because every has his little different sound,
and now all of you are responsible if i will be crazy of iem.
Now i am very happy and exciting to listen this Red Halo,but one my part of brain is thinking how will sound Traillii with first time and Aroma Jewel in comparison
Regards to everybody

The first time I heard Jazz at the Pawnshop was at the Audio Research room in the early 90s at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and I was floored by its sound which was so realistic. Granted, AR was using its tube gear driving a pair of Infinity RS-2B loudspeakers to great effect, but that album left an indelible imprint in my mind. ✌️

May 3, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,300 of 1,311
Let the extremely positive shilling reviews begin. "This IEM is the best. Soundstage is not just out of your head good, but literally out of your BODY good. No, they didn't send one to me for free. No, I wasn't paid. No, I won't let Crinacle or Antdroid borrow it. They won't be fair to it because they might say something negative. We're going the Oriolus Traillii snake oil route." Please don't be that :) I loved the mk2.
I thought i was the only guy to notice that stuff. Whenever i posted gripes about an overpriced American IEM in a forum i would get double teamed by the promoters disguised as headphone supremacist.

So i stopped posting my gripes.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,301 of 1,311
Haha, I mean if it's really good and even the most critical reviewers have to agree it is good, I would almost have to get it. I mean I would rather get really good audio equipment and car parts than that Chanel bag my gf keeps talking about.
Who are the most critical reviewers in your opinion?

May 17, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #1,302 of 1,311
Hi Community i have a question. mest mkii owner should be choose Mest indigo or skip to Mason FS in a near future (My system is N6ii, DX300 Amp12, SE180)

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,303 of 1,311
Hi Community i have a question. mest mkii owner should be choose Mest indigo or skip to Mason FS in a near future (My system is N6ii, DX300 Amp12, SE180)
I haven't personally heard the MEST Indigo, but I have the Mason (the Fusang version, to be precise) and the MEST Mk II.

From what I've read, it seems Indigo is more of an evolution and refinement of the MEST sound signature, whereas the Mason is a rather different tuning.
Mason is not a 'Quadbrid' IEM; it is simply an evolution of UM's classic all-BA flagship design and sound, which is what first put them on the map and continues to impress. The only addition here is the bone conduction drivers.
It's not as bassy as the MEST Mk II, but what it does have is a hugely impressive note weight and density, in addition to TOTL sound and technical performance to match.

I'm sure others can comment on what the Indigo brings to the table; I've certainly heard/read a lot of very positive feedback about it.

My point I suppose would be that the Indigo and Mason are very different tunings and propositions generally.
Which you choose might depend on what things you loved about the MEST Mk II, and which things you wished you could change?

May 17, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #1,304 of 1,311
I haven't personally heard the MEST Indigo, but I have the Mason (the Fusang version, to be precise) and the MEST Mk II.

From what I've read, it seems Indigo is more of an evolution and refinement of the MEST sound signature, whereas the Mason is a rather different tuning.
Mason is not a 'Quadbrid' IEM; it is simply an evolution of UM's classic all-BA flagship design and sound, which is what first put them on the map and continues to impress. The only addition here is the bone conduction drivers.
It's not as bassy as the MEST Mk II, but what it does have is a hugely impressive note weight and density, in addition to TOTL sound and technical performance to match.

I'm sure others can comment on what the Indigo brings to the table; I've certainly heard/read a lot of very positive feedback about it.

My point I suppose would be that the Indigo and Mason are very different tunings and propositions generally.
Which you choose might depend on what things you loved about the MEST Mk II, and which things you wished you could change?

I had MEST OG and JP and now Mason FS. I agree with everything @Layman1 said. Mason goes for the more mid centric rich and smooth timbre. Twister has a review of earlier Mason here ( https://twister6.com/2018/04/17/unique-melody-um-mason-v3/2/ ) and to me the general description still applies to Mason FS. The addition of BCD probably provides extra tactility and depth compared to earlier Mason but I haven't heard the V3, so I don't know...

There's DAP synergy aspect too. I didn't think it paired well with DX300/240. I sold my N6ii before I got Mason so I can't say. I basically only like it out of my L&P...

For a shameless plug, I have put my FS for sale...

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,305 of 1,311
Any news regarding Multiverse Mentor, the concept, sound differences between new and old versions and the Mason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back