Unique Melody Newest Flagship-- Mason Fabled Sound Special Edition/Mason Fusang CIEM&UIEM
May 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #346 of 1,311
That would be great! What source do you plan to get them after SA700?

I’m going to use my ZX300 with custom firmware for now, I want to believe Sony is getting ready to introduce replacements for the WM1A and WM1Z—maybe at IFA this year—so until that happens, the ZX300/C9 should be fine.

So, until the C9 arrives, my perspective on the FS is shaded by the limitations of the ZX300.

By the way, how do you like the case for your C9? The only aesthetic qualm I have about it is I saw Cayin’s marketing tag line on it and I hope it can be removed.

May 6, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #347 of 1,311
I kind of expect it to sound like a highly refined MKII. The graph for the FS UM posted is quite similar if I recall correctly. I was completely happy with my MKII until one of those metal hats fell off, and Andrew was kind enough to arrange a replacement, but then the FS hit and I decided to apply the monies to the FS purchase.
Given your expectation, I think FS will not disappointment you. To me it is MEST taken to the ultimate format. Todd said this could be a MEST MK 3; I would say this is like MESK MK X. 🤣

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #348 of 1,311
I’m going to use my ZX300 with custom firmware for now, I want to believe Sony is getting ready to introduce replacements for the WM1A and WM1Z—maybe at IFA this year—so until that happens, the ZX300/C9 should be fine.

So, until the C9 arrives, my perspective on the FS is shaded by the limitations of the ZX300.

By the way, how do you like the case for your C9? The only aesthetic qualm I have about it is I saw Cayin’s marketing tag line on it and I hope it can be removed.
Hahah, yeah that tag is funny. Otherwise, in terms of heat dissipation and offering protection, it works very very well.

May 6, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #349 of 1,311
May 6, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #350 of 1,311
May 6, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #351 of 1,311
Given your expectation, I think FS will not disappointment you. To me it is MEST taken to the ultimate format. Todd said this could be a MEST MK 3; I would say this is like MESK MK X. 🤣
Mason FS, Not a Falcon (Falcons kill birds).
Seems it could unseat my Elysium for vocals though.

May 6, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #352 of 1,311
Mason FS, Not a Falcon (Falcons kill birds).
Seems it could unseat my Elysium for vocals though.

In comparison from memory, Mason vocals are more “real” sounding whereas Elysiums come off a bit more “euphoric” or “emotional” with a wetness to them. Masons vocals to me are 110% it’s strong point. I listen to mostly EDM so I don’t quite appreciate it as much as I know someone else would, but the vocals are damn good.

May 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #353 of 1,311
In comparison from memory, Mason vocals are more “real” sounding whereas Elysiums come off a bit more “euphoric” or “emotional” with a wetness to them. Masons vocals to me are 110% it’s strong point. I listen to mostly EDM so I don’t quite appreciate it as much as I know someone else would, but the vocals are damn good.
That is kind of how I would describe vocals Traillii vs. Elysium. Perhaps Mason FS vocals falls in the middle, not as Euphoric as Elysium, but warmer and more forward than Traillii?

May 6, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #354 of 1,311
That is kind of how I would describe vocals Traillii vs. Elysium. Perhaps Mason FS vocals falls in the middle, not as Euphoric as Elysium, but warmer and more forward than Traillii?
I am not a big fan of Ely’s mid, I think partly because of the relative weak bass from it such that the whole presentation feels unnatural to me. FS’s bass is pretty good and does not lead me to think it is unnatural.

May 6, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #355 of 1,311
They’re definitely more forward than Traillii, but I’d say Traillii at least to me goes towards the emotional side too , so Mason vocals come off a bit drier in comparison.

May 6, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #356 of 1,311
They’re definitely more forward than Traillii, but I’d say Traillii at least to me goes towards the emotional side too , so Mason vocals come off a bit drier in comparison.
I agree. This is one of the major reasons I feel that the FS is more neutral than Traillii.

May 6, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #357 of 1,311
May 6, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #358 of 1,311
Still as engaging?
Depending on what you look for. Its feeling of surroundingness will give you the “you are there” feeling, but it is not as emotional as the bird.

May 6, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #359 of 1,311
Definitely more neutral than Traillii. Treble is smooth and bass is quite good but not as elevated as Traillii.

It is very engaging still , I do think the Traillii is more engaging to me though just due to how the soundstage is. So it just depends what you consider engaging. The way the Mason projects it’s note size reminds me a bit of the erlkonig with thicker notes and images and more intimate, so it is still engaging, just in a different way.

With the Mason I feel like I have a band performing straight for me in smaller personal space, with the Traillii it’s like I am in a concert hall. Think House of Blues v Madison Square Garden, lol.

May 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #360 of 1,311
Hmm...mid-centric but dry'ish mids? :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back