Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #3,301 of 7,302
Ok so some shmuck tried to commit fraud on me on eBay for the MEST OG.

I got a message asking me what I would accept for a buyout (to avoid the auction). I told him $850 (which is already a lower price for the OG market), and he responded by saying he would pay me the $850 plus $150 for next day shipping. The thing is, he asked me to send a request for the purchase to his PayPal.

I figured, it doesn’t matter I guess, so I sent him a $1000 request. As it stood in my PayPal transaction list as “pending,” he messaged me saying he paid and that I should ship it right away. I checked the status and it still said pending. “Ok,” I thought, “maybe there’s a processing delay.”

So a few hours later I check messages and email and see an email from “Notification,” and upon clicking on it to see the actual email address, it says “service@paydesk” or something. Now, PayPal always sends notifications from a “service@paypal.com.” So this sketchy email he sent from “Notification” was immediately the big red flag that told me he was a fraud, paired with me still seeing “pending” on the request on PayPal. The email even said in it that I would receive the money as soon as I shipped the item! What a dingus.

So anyway, because of him I had closed my auction and now lost the watchers who were keeping an eye on the item.

Sorry to post here again to share my eBay listing, but this is the last time. I will keep this auction up for 3 days and, if it doesn’t sell, then I will be holding the MEST for several months before offering it up for sale again. Like someone pointed out, attention may not be on OG for awhile.

Here’s the auction if anyone is interested:
eBay MEST OG auction, starting at $799

To the person on the forum who sold it to me for $920, no hard feelings! I just wanted to let you know that your sale to me was entirely fair and honorable given the market at the time :) If I can only get $799 for it now, it is what it is. I think it ought to be closer to $900, but what can one do, you know?
eBay in general, buyer and seller beware.
There is a lot of fraud out there.

May 8, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,303 of 7,302
May 8, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,304 of 7,302
I need help deciding whether or not to buy the MEST MKII. Ever since my Westone W60 broke there has been a gaping HiFi hole in my life.

I believe I have treble sensitivity issues in the areas in red, and I've had treble sensitivity to *many* IEMs I've demoed. I basically listened through the various frequencies of a tone generator to identify the areas that hurt me.

I demoed about 50 different IEMs before settling in on my W60 because it did not induce any treble sensitivity while at the same time sounding very good. Looking at the blue W60 graph line, it just so happens to have a very relaxed frequency response in the areas where I am treble sensitive.

I have demoed both the Anole VX and Z1R and both of them are just a tad too sparkly and possibly fatiguing to me. Looking at the graphs, I think I see why.

Crinacle doesn't have the FR of the MEST 2 yet. so I'm using the MEST 1 graph. Based on this. the MEST 1 could be borderline too bright for me. I'd like to buy the MEST 2 (it's currently on sale in China) but I have no way of test listening to it.

So people who have the MEST 2, or both the MEST 1 and 2, what are your thoughts? Would the MEST 2 possibly be too bright for me?

I've tried other IEMs like the Layla II Universal, UERR, UE18+ Pro, Shure KSE1500, UM Mentor V3, and they were all fantastic without any fatigue. I also have the BLON-03 and that has no issues. I've had treble issues with every single KZ I've ever tried, about six.

IEM Compare 2.png

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,305 of 7,302
I need help deciding whether or not to buy the MEST MKII. Ever since my Westone W60 broke there has been a gaping HiFi hole in my life.

I believe I have treble sensitivity issues in the areas in red, and I've had treble sensitivity to *many* IEMs I've demoed. I basically listened through the various frequencies of a tone generator to identify the areas that hurt me.

I demoed about 50 different IEMs before settling in on my W60 because it did not induce any treble sensitivity while at the same time sounding very good. Looking at the blue W60 graph line, it just so happens to have a very relaxed frequency response in the areas where I am treble sensitive.

I have demoed both the Anole VX and Z1R and both of them are just a tad too sparkly and possibly fatiguing to me. Looking at the graphs, I think I see why.

Crinacle doesn't have the FR of the MEST 2 yet. so I'm using the MEST 1 graph. Based on this. the MEST 1 could be borderline too bright for me. I'd like to buy the MEST 2 (it's currently on sale in China) but I have no way of test listening to it.

So people who have the MEST 2, or both the MEST 1 and 2, what are your thoughts? Would the MEST 2 possibly be too bright for me?

I've tried other IEMs like the Layla II Universal, UERR, UE18+ Pro, Shure KSE1500, UM Mentor V3, and they were all fantastic without any fatigue. I also have the BLON-03 and that has no issues. I've had treble issues with every single KZ I've ever tried, about six.
Antdroid has the Mest MK2 graph in his web page, but he has not the Westone or the Z1R graphs:
https://iems.audiodiscourse.com/?share=MEST MK2,Anole VX,MEST

May 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3,307 of 7,302

IEM Compare 2.png

Its hard to judge how something will sound if you crop off the rest of the FR, since that all matters. You can manipulate the Squiggles by normalizing to any frequency and change how the relative peaks look. This is important to note because the W60 has much more elevated mids and bass, while the others shown have recessed mids and elevated subbass in comparison, which can affect how the upper-mids/treble (the area where your concerned about) sounds.

The 1-5KHz region is the most sensitive region to human ears, so it isn't a surprise that you would fine it sensitive, but the MEST is a bit more laid back in this region than the Z1R for sure, and about on par with the VX. The VX has a big dip and then a big rise at 7-8Khz which can affect sibilance in some songs though. The MEST og and to a very small degree on the MK2 has a small rise around 6KHz, which I can see maybe bothering some people. The MK2 is less aggressive here than the MK1 from my experience.

That said, the W60 looks like a dark tuning with a big spike in the treble region, which I'm surprised doesnt bother you. The tuning is kinda similar to something like the Campfire Andromeda original or even the newer 2020 model though recommend using this on an ultra low impedance and quiet source. Other options maybe the Sony IER-M7?
graph (17).png

May 8, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,308 of 7,302
Its hard to judge how something will sound if you crop off the rest of the FR, since that all matters. You can manipulate the Squiggles by normalizing to any frequency and change how the relative peaks look. This is important to note because the W60 has much more elevated mids and bass, while the others shown have recessed mids and elevated subbass in comparison, which can affect how the upper-mids/treble (the area where your concerned about) sounds.

The 1-5KHz region is the most sensitive region to human ears, so it isn't a surprise that you would fine it sensitive, but the MEST is a bit more laid back in this region than the Z1R for sure, and about on par with the VX. The VX has a big dip and then a big rise at 7-8Khz which can affect sibilance in some songs though. The MEST og and to a very small degree on the MK2 has a small rise around 6KHz, which I can see maybe bothering some people. The MK2 is less aggressive here than the MK1 from my experience.

That said, the W60 looks like a dark tuning with a big spike in the treble region, which I'm surprised doesnt bother you. The tuning is kinda similar to something like the Campfire Andromeda original or even the newer 2020 model though recommend using this on an ultra low impedance and quiet source. Other options maybe the Sony IER-M7?

Yes, the W60's peak at 8k is unnoticeably by me. For my sensitivities:

5.75 - 7k is bad, with 6k being the worst.
7.5 - 8.6k is great.
8.8k is bad.
9k is ok.

/facepalm

The W60 tuning is darker, but only slightly IMO... but that little bit of darkness eventually got on my nerves especially compared to sets like the Anole VX and I think the Andromeda.

I demoed a pre-2020 Andromeda and I thought it was good... but I had also demoed a UM Mentor V3 beforehand and I enjoyed the Mentor V3 much more - I still can't get it out of my mind. Unfortunately I can't get over the Mentor V3's big shells and proprietary cable. Plus no one seems to have a good FR graph of it.

The M7 sounded crisp but lacked the body that I was looking for.

---

I'm curious if you could do some quick listens of these two songs on the MEST II:

Blonde Maze, Half an Orange - Places I'll Go: On the MEST MKII is it fatiguing and sibilant? The bells ringing in the beginning can be too sharp and vocals can be too sibilant on bright sets - "places", "except", "thoughts", etc.

San Holo - Still Looking (CESQEAUX Remix) - right at the beginning of the song at 0:02 there are like these xylophone knocks. On the UM Mentor V3 they make my brain kind of hallucinate while I don't get any such thing on the Andromeda or Anole VX, haha.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,309 of 7,302
Yes, the W60's peak at 8k is unnoticeably by me. For my sensitivities:

5.75 - 7k is bad, with 6k being the worst.
7.5 - 8.6k is great.
8.8k is bad.
9k is ok.

/facepalm

The W60 tuning is darker, but only slightly IMO... but that little bit of darkness eventually got on my nerves especially compared to sets like the Anole VX and I think the Andromeda.

I demoed a pre-2020 Andromeda and I thought it was good... but I had also demoed a UM Mentor V3 beforehand and I enjoyed the Mentor V3 much more - I still can't get it out of my mind. Unfortunately I can't get over the Mentor V3's big shells and proprietary cable. Plus no one seems to have a good FR graph of it.

The M7 sounded crisp but lacked the body that I was looking for.

---

I'm curious if you could do some quick listens of these two songs on the MEST II:

Blonde Maze, Half an Orange - Places I'll Go: On the MEST MKII is it fatiguing and sibilant? The bells ringing in the beginning can be too sharp and vocals can be too sibilant on bright sets - "places", "except", "thoughts", etc.

San Holo - Still Looking (CESQEAUX Remix) - right at the beginning of the song at 0:02 there are like these xylophone knocks. On the UM Mentor V3 they make my brain kind of hallucinate while I don't get any such thing on the Andromeda or Anole VX, haha.

I can't at the moment as I lent the MEST Mk2 to Tyler's Eclectic to do check out and do a video review in the near future. I can once I get it back. Or when he does a livestream, you can ask him to listen to it yourself. :)

May 9, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #3,310 of 7,302
Anyone with the Unique Melody MEST II or other similar IEM can report on these two songs for me?

Blonde Maze, Half an Orange - Places I'll Go
https://tidal.com/browse/track/108542538

On the MEST MKII is it fatiguing and sibilant? The bells ringing in the beginning can be too sharp and vocals can be too sibilant on bright sets - words in the song like "places", "except", "thoughts", etc. can often be not great.

San Holo - Still Looking (CESQEAUX Remix)

Right at the beginning of the song at 0:02 there are like these xylophone knocks. On the UM Mentor V3 they make my brain kind of hallucinate while I don't get any such thing on the Andromeda or Anole VX, haha.

May 9, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #3,311 of 7,302
Blonde Maze, Half an Orange - Places I'll Go
Keeping in mind I am not as treble sensitive like I didn't have issues with IER-Z1R treble. Based off of quick listen and would like others to share their experience. MEST MkII paired with M8, I didn't have an issue with sibilance. MEST MkII on RME ADI 2 DAC FS, maaaybe starting to get a little fatiguing. It's a tad easier to listen to it on Andromeda 2020. If you end up getting MEST, you can try different tips as well to tone down treble a little bit if you have issue.

Right at the beginning of the song at 0:02 there are like these xylophone knocks. On the UM Mentor V3 they make my brain kind of hallucinate while I don't get any such thing on the Andromeda or Anole VX, haha.
That's a cool sound lol. On MEST MkII it sounds a bit farther away than on Andromeda 2020. Not sure if it'll make your brain kind of hallucinate

May 9, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,312 of 7,302
That's a cool sound lol. On MEST MkII it sounds a bit farther away than on Andromeda 2020. Not sure if it'll make your brain kind of hallucinate
Thanks for the report. Haha, the xylophone on the Mentor V3 made me feel like things were knocking around inside my brain case, lol. No such shenanigans with the Anole VX, Andromeda, or Westone W60 though. I think that's what I appreciate the most about higher end IEMs - you get these cool psychoacoustic effects sometimes.

May 9, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3,314 of 7,302
Sunday night and relaxing with a glass of wine and some psychill, this album sounds stunning on the MEST MKII.

Love me some entheogenic! Top stuff!

My pick tonight is GoGoPenguin's new remix album - GGP/RMX. Incredible production value and sounds top on the MEST.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,315 of 7,302
eBay in general, buyer and seller beware.
There is a lot of fraud out there.
I've found eBay pretty safe. That's because there is a buyer guarantee. If a seller advertises a 30-day return policy, I've found it works every time. I've even had 2 products that a bulk seller got wrong in his ad mostly likely since he bought out a hifi store that went out of business and didn't know what he had. I had lots of leverage where I could have gotten my money back, but opted to negotiate a better deal both times. I find eBay to be a good marketplace if you know what you are buying. If you don't know what you are buying, you can easily get the wrong product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back