Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #2,431 of 7,302
I think your high expectations are warranted.

Regarding blind purchases, other than the Zen and the A8000, all my other current IEMs were blind purchases, but since I’m focused on flagships of known regard, I’ve yet to be disappointed.
Namaste and thanks for your input

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,432 of 7,302
Was wondering if someone can chime in whether they use Low, Medium or High gain settings on their DAP with the UM Mest Mk2?

Trying to see how good of a match the Hiby R6 2020 will be with them and what gain setting to use.
If it helps: on my Hiby R6 2020 with the MEST Mk1 (a lovely combination), Medium gain lets me listen comfortably at a volume of 50 or so. Haven't felt the need to try high gain.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,433 of 7,302
Maybe something better than Mest Mk2 exist but I can say Mk2 is incredible for its price...😍

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #2,434 of 7,302
Maybe something better than Mest Mk2 exist but I can say Mk2 is incredible for its price...
And what about MEST v1 Uni INTL for $1099? Not as worth it?

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,435 of 7,302
M
And what about MEST v1 Uni INTL for $1099? Not as worth it?
I didn’t listen to the OG but I passed over it because of its size and something worst on mids, Mk2 has an amazing sound signature, i think is perfect to me with my dap

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #2,436 of 7,302
Looking at grabbing a MEST v1, coming from the mid-fi level of FD5, DM8, A7, FH3, etc. Does anything compete with MEST for ~$1100..?

What are the best tips for it?

Is the bass light at all? Or does it match or best FH3, FD5, A7 etc?

Is the fit similar to TFZ No.3, or DM8?
I jumped on the MEST v.1 pretty quickly after getting my FD5, and I almost feel a little bad about it: the Fiios are excellent, but they're not getting nearly as much attention. I haven't done any close A-B testing, but to me, the MEST are a clear improvement across the board, bass quality included. Worth it!

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,437 of 7,302
I jumped on the MEST v.1 pretty quickly after getting my FD5, and I almost feel a little bad about it: the Fiios are excellent, but they're not getting nearly as much attention. I haven't done any close A-B testing, but to me, the MEST are a clear improvement across the board, bass quality included. Worth it!
Could you describe the sound sig/balance? Not lacking bass, obviously. =p Just...great? (Did you get a Uni or custom?)

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,438 of 7,302
Could you describe the sound sig/balance? Not lacking bass, obviously. =p Just...great? (Did you get a Uni or custom?)
Ha, you mean "just great" isn't specific enough? I know my impressions are rather subjective and semi-gushing in nature. Another caveat: I don't have experience with a wide range of IEMs, so I can't offer useful comparisons to the others you might be familiar with.

Before purchasing, I'd read that they have a generally W-shaped signature, and that seems to mesh with my experience. For me, the clarity, imaging, and soundstage are the best I've heard out of something this (relatively) tiny, and are the real stars. Those, and whatever other spooky intangibles Unique Melody threw in to make them so addicitve.

Oh, and I got the universals. I'm horrified to discover that I apparently have large ears--no real fit issues, but I wouldn't mind if they were a little smaller. (Enter the Mk2, I suppose...)

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #2,439 of 7,302
Ha, you mean "just great" isn't specific enough? I know my impressions are rather subjective and semi-gushing in nature. Another caveat: I don't have experience with a wide range of IEMs, so I can't offer useful comparisons to the others you might be familiar with.

Before purchasing, I'd read that they have a generally W-shaped signature, and that seems to mesh with my experience. For me, the clarity, imaging, and soundstage are the best I've heard out of something this (relatively) tiny, and are the real stars. Those, and whatever other spooky intangibles Unique Melody threw in to make them so addicitve.

Oh, and I got the universals. I'm horrified to discover that I apparently have large ears--no real fit issues, but I wouldn't mind if they were a little smaller. (Enter the Mk2, I suppose...)
Interesting, interesting..! And can you make any comparisons of MEST to Focal Clear, Arya, LCD-X/2/3/GX?

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #2,441 of 7,302
Interesting, interesting..! And can you make any comparisons of MEST to Focal Clear, Arya, LCD-X/2/3/GX?
Oof, I wish! I'm sure someone here can, though. The highest I’ve ever gone to break the “mid-fi” barrier was with the Focal Elear, which I know are pretty divisive, but I like ‘em. But, I suppose you could say they both they and the MEST have that initial excitement factor in common, as well a sound signature that might be described—depending on your preferences—as either “unique” (ha) or “unnatural.” Listening to the MEST, the music can feel, I don’t know, more “tangible” somehow, and there are very brief moments of total immersion when the headphones themselves seem to vanish. (Ugh, what a tired and pretentious hi-fi cliché, but it's how I feel!)

With that, I’ll stop my babbling for a while. The MEST are calling…

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,442 of 7,302
I'll give them a try, cheers. It could also be the need for me to adjust, most of my listening of late is via the IER-M9 and very different. I did have some time on the ZEN also just this week but the majority of late has been the M9.
Can you kindly compare the M9 with mest mk.ii?

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,443 of 7,302
If one chooses to purchase a custom MKII, will I need to get new ear impressions changed about every two years or so?
It's all dependent on your own ear anatomy. I've heard weight gain/loss can possibly affect CIEM fit, but some owners can have the same set for many years without having any issues.

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,445 of 7,302
Can you kindly compare the M9 with mest mk.ii?

Very high level as I still need more time but initial observations:

Mest - much deeper bass but still brighter than M9, significantly wider soundstage, much more exciting presentation and better timbre

M9 - more relaxed presentation; much more intimate - having less soundstage I don't see as a minus, more another way to present the music

The soundstage is just unreal on the MEST - I went for a walk this morning, first time out with them and they passed that test with flying colours, zero microphonics and using the clip (thanks @ian91), it sits very nicely. I was listening to the following track, a remix of a classic - there is the sound of an aircraft near the start, I genuinely thought it was a low flying aircraft which would be unusual where I live - I was looking up to see where it was, then copped on it was in the track! - I'm not proficient in the technicalities but indeed trying to learn, I'm guessing thats the sub bass giving that deep rumble? Pretty incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back