Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,786 of 7,302
Got my Azla Xelastec tips yesterday. Fit and comfort issues now a thing of the past, these work wonderfully. I have a suspicion that a tiny bit of high frequency detail has been shaved off (I could be wrong and I haven't A/B tested with other tips yet) so I will still investigate the Spinfit 230s. But for now I have a dependable and secure result. My first time using these slightly sticky tips and I'm a fan!

As is so often the case, I'm very grateful to all of you who share your experiences, successes, failures, thoughts and ideas on Head Fi. This community is an absolute boon to anyone involved in this money-depleting "hobby"!!
Xelastec + Mest a pair made in heaven :gs1000smile:

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,787 of 7,302
Excuse me, I'm using translator

it works for me:
1-Open your mouth to limit
2-Introduce the IEM tip
3-Shut your mouth

opening to the mouth, rectify the external auditory duct at its start and facilitates 2.

If you open your mouth to limit and change the sound, it's not well placed.
Greetings
Useful info!

Typically I do the following:

1 - IEMs rotated 90 degrees forward
2 - Tips into the ears, following the path of the ear canal
3 - Once fully inserted, rotate IEMs 90 degrees back (clockwise on left, counter on right)

That usually results in the best fit and seal for me.
Occasionally I will pull the top of my ear up, to release the pressure. But not often.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #1,788 of 7,302
Is it just me or is the mest sounds better with higher impedence?

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,790 of 7,302
hello,
I got a pretty nice deal on the Tia Trio,
how does it compare with the MEST ?

thank you so much,

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,793 of 7,302
Hi Maru10, I am sorry HiFigo is not our authorized dealer. If you could please send the serial number of your MEST to me thru PM. We will transfer your MEST into our profile.

I think I have emailed them before to remove MEST from their website but apparently they didn't listen. The problem with these unauthorized dealers is they cannot help you process your warranty or it may take a way longer time for you to get your IEMs repaired. Even if you directly contact our service department, they can't track your IEMs and it will take extra time for you to get the service.
Hello UniqueMelody, I have PMd you my SN, and I would like to inquire what next; should I worry about the authenticity of my MEST? Should I require return/refund? Thank you in advance!

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,794 of 7,302
Hello UniqueMelody, I have PMd you my SN, and I would like to inquire what next; should I worry about the authenticity of my MEST? Should I require return/refund? Thank you in advance!
I wouldn't worry. HifiGo may not be a UM authorized seller, but in any case it is a reliable seller and has a good reputation in the forum, I have bought other things there and have never had problems with them. Of course, I bought the Mest from MusicTeck and Andrew was great.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,795 of 7,302
I love the Asla tips. So far my favorite are the Azla Sednafitlight tips because they fit my ears so well.

I also have xlastic tips for my Airpods Pro and they are the only tips that would give me a proper seal with those IEMs. Absolutely love them. I haven't tried the Xlastic with the Mest. Anyone have any impressions on the relative change in sound signature between the two? I ask because the Sednafitlight have wider bores than the xlastic and I was wondering if that made a difference to the sound.

Either way, I am going to try it. Just wondered.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,796 of 7,302
I bought a 20 ohm impedance adapter to go with the Monarchs that I am awaiting arrival. I tried it with my Mest and I didn’t like it at all. The net effect was to take the clarity of the mest and made it sound really bad to me.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,797 of 7,302

I bought a 20 ohm impedance adapter to go with the Monarchs that I am awaiting arrival. I tried it with my Mest and I didn’t like it at all. The net effect was to take the clarity of the mest and made it sound really bad to me.
According the measurements from audiodiscourse.com higher output impedance:
  1. boost mid and sub-bass
  2. scoops midrange
  3. tames the treble
So it essentially converts W-shaped sound of the MEST into L-shaped.
UM MEST CIEM OI.png

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,798 of 7,302
  2. scoops midrange
  3. tames the treble
UM MEST CIEM OI.png
I'll have to try it again. It sounded so bad that I took it off immediately. As I said, the first thing it did was take away the fantastic transparency of sound and made it muddy. And, I expected better bass, but it was a lot worse to my ear.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,799 of 7,302
  2. scoops midrange
  3. tames the treble
UM MEST CIEM OI.png
I gotta say, while that may be what the impedance adapter actually does FR-wise, in practice, it completely messes up the tonality and cohesiveness of thE MEST. I found the use of a 20 Ohm adapter on the MEST to be terrible. I also have no idea how it influences the BC driver.
I'll have to try it again. It sounded so bad that I took it off immediately. As I said, the first thing it did was take away the fantastic transparency of sound and made it muddy. And, I expected better bass, but it was a lot worse to my ear.
I also couldn’t stand the sound for long. It sounded very muddy and veiled, just......wrong.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,800 of 7,302
hello,
I got a pretty nice deal on the Tia Trio,
how does it compare with the MEST ?

thank you so much,
I also just received a Tia Trió, and have the MEST, so in a couple of days, I should be able to provide some analysis. If you have any particular music you'd like to compare, feel free to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back