Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,756 of 7,302
Thanks for the great comparison.

I do agree about foam tips spoiling what makes the MEST so special, but I will add that if you’re willing to modify the foam tips, by cutting off maybe 1/3 of the end of the ear tip, it doesn’t affect the treble much. With the modified tips, the core will run the entire length of the ear tip. It is the foam overhang, that goes beyond the core, that primarily saps up all of the treble energy. For me, with cut Tenmak foams, a tiny bit of upper treble is dampened, making it sound more realistic to (and not as splashy sounding), plus I can insert the IEMs deep.

If you really want the ear tip to not affect the sound, cut around 1/2 of the ear tip end off, then the core essentially won‘t go past the end of the IEM nozzle, and the ear tip will only serve to seal the area between the nozzle and the walls of your ear canal.
Thanks for the tip mate...just ordered some Tenmaks from Amazon...will have a go!

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,757 of 7,302
Ok. I am there. I am in the "Mest is Best" camp. It took me several days of tip rolling, cable rolling and amp rolling, but I am now a card carrying member of this club. When you get the right tips and amps, the Unique Melody Mest is a tremendously great sounding IEM. It is now my go to all arounder.

Favorite pairing: Tidal Hifi > Chord Hugo 2 > UM Mest > AZLA SednaEarfitLight eartips.

Second favorite pairing for outdoor walking: Tidal Hifi downloaded music on iPhone XS Max > Lotoo PAW S1 > UM Mest.

The right ear tips are essential to getting the most out of these IEMs. It didn't all come together until I found the tips with the exact right fit.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #1,758 of 7,302
Yes, it does have a pressure relief function and it pulls up the frequency a bit. So the JP/HK version has a slightly brighter and crispier signature than the international version.
What's the best way to buy the JP/HK versions as a US buyer? I have the international version, but the fit isn't great with my ears and the buzzing noise I'm getting on one side is driving me a bit nuts haha.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,759 of 7,302
What's the best way to buy the JP/HK versions as a US buyer? I have the international version, but the fit isn't great with my ears and the buzzing noise I'm getting on one side is driving me a bit nuts haha.
Out HK dealer is DMA audio, JP dealer is Mix Wave. You can contact them to place an order.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,760 of 7,302
Might have already been mentioned in here....

What are some of your favorite songs to hear on the MEST to show off its qualities?
Michael Wollny - Muhlrad

Amazing on MEST. One of those tracks that makes U12T sound sloppy
Anyone got anything to say about the MEST vs the U12t? I'm considering selling the MEST to get them, but I'm worried the bass won't be the same.
I personally had Z1R and U12T as my set in stone endgame... until I got a MEST just to sample.

I personally prefer the MEST to the U12T, and even if the U12T is more complimentary to the Z1R, I still prefer having MEST as my Z1R alternative.

U12T: Fabulously tuned, poor (relative to other TOTL's) super high frequency resolution and texture, poor bass extension
MEST: Lean-ish midbass (less than U12T), a bit forward in the upper mids/low treble for some types of music, midrange recession (male voices)

The MEST has more tuning flaws, but significantly better resolving prowess and dynamics. It's kind of like comparing an HD800 to a Susvara.

For perspective, this is my top 9 of all time for iem's.

1. KSE1500 with EQ
2. Z1R
3. MEST/ Elysium (Fun vs accurate)
5. A8000
6. U12T/ M9/ VE8
9. EX1000

Problem with all iem's they all have shortcomings... Hopefully something absolutely mind blowing comes in the coming years!

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,761 of 7,302
I loved the MEST when I had-- it made it on to my very short list of IEMs I could be satisfied with as a "one and only". It's a significant step up from the u12t imho. I am tempted to pick one up just to hear it through my Shanling M8.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,762 of 7,302
I loved the MEST when I had-- it made it on to my very short list of IEMs I could be satisfied with as a "one and only". It's a significant step up from the u12t imho. I am tempted to pick one up just to hear it through my Shanling M8.

Ah man, it's such a glorious pairing. All the soundstage you'd want.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,764 of 7,302
I have a simple question. Just received my UM MEST, but the 4.4 and 3.5 adapters were not included in my package. We’re they supposed to be?

I believe that the adapters are not included in the package.
At least they didn't come to me either.
Fortunately I have the ones that did come with the Clairvoyance.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,766 of 7,302
I believe that the adapters are not included in the package.
At least they didn't come to me either.
Fortunately I have the ones that did come with the Clairvoyance.
I didn't get any either. But I already have the adapters from Amazon.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,767 of 7,302

What sucks is I sold my MEST right before acquiring the M8. I recently reacquired the MEST, but have already sold off my M8. Perhaps one day the two will align...

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,769 of 7,302
This might seem as an unusual question, but i certainly would like to know any answer. Are there any relevant characteristics between wide bore and small bore tips with the MEST?

It is an IEM very dependent on tips, its sound changes completely. I prefer it with wide bore tips, to enjoy all its magic.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,770 of 7,302
I have a simple question. Just received my UM MEST, but the 4.4 and 3.5 adapters were not included in my package. We’re they supposed to be?
They are not supposed to be, originally were sent out only with the reviewers sample. That being said, I ordered my mest from HIFIGO (excellent seller in my opinion, offers a shipping options where you do not have to worry about customs), and received both amplifiers inside the box, wrapped in a bag with "gift" sticker over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back