Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #316 of 7,301
I was aware of the slight tuning differences for the Asian market, but was not aware of the extra venting. Where is the extra vent located? Do you have pics?

I actually went to check my MEST as it was originally purchased from e-earphone, but mine is in fact the single-vented (on the faceplate) version.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #317 of 7,301
I was aware of the slight tuning differences for the Asian market, but was not aware of the extra venting. Where is the extra vent located? Do you have pics?

I actually went to check my MEST as it was originally purchased from e-earphone, but mine is in fact the single-vented (on the faceplate) version.

If you got it from e-earphone, it should be the Japanese version. Isn’t it all black carbon?

The Japanese version comes with through-vent from nozzle to face plate to help with pressure and get a better response, in addition to shell vent for DD.

I’ve been on the fence about ordering from Japan :)

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000297870/ct1821/page1/recommend/

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #318 of 7,301
If you got it from e-earphone, it should be the Japanese version. Isn’t it all black carbon?

The Japanese version comes with through-vent from nozzle to face plate to help with pressure and get a better response, in addition to shell vent for DD.

I’ve been on the fence about ordering from Japan :)

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000297870/ct1821/page1/recommend/

I assumed mine was purchased from e-earphone as it was shipped to me in an e-earphone box by the original owner. It would’ve cool to receive the Japanese version, but my understanding is the original version is tuned for pop & it’s sub-genres, as well as classical, while the international version is tuned towards rock/metal.

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #319 of 7,301
I assumed mine was purchased from e-earphone as it was shipped to me in an e-earphone box by the original owner. It would’ve cool to receive the Japanese version, but my understanding is the original version is tuned for pop & it’s sub-genres, as well as classical, while the international version is tuned towards rock/metal.

Are the US red or blue versions the original or international?

I heard the Japanese one was tuned by the distributor there so it doesn’t sound like it’s found anywhere else.

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #321 of 7,301
I bought mine from eEarphone, and it's the Japanese tuning, with the two vents on the faceplate. And, yes, it's all black/grey rather than the blue or red accents of the international version.

I listen almost entirely to classical, and the MEST sounds great to me.

4_000000297870.jpg

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #323 of 7,301
I bought mine from eEarphone, and it's the Japanese tuning, with the two vents on the faceplate. And, yes, it's all black/grey rather than the blue or red accents of the international version.

I listen almost entirely to classical, and the MEST sounds great to me.

4_000000297870.jpg
Interesting, also the 2pin socket is different from the one I tried, this ones have a recessed sockets instead of the extruded one la that I’ve seen on most of the UM iems.

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #326 of 7,301
Dang, the black/grey version is sexy. Is that the universal version or a shallow fitting custom? The US version has metal nozzles.
It's universal. I didn't realise the 'normal' version had metal nozzles. Although now I look (I've been using the stock tips, so hadn't bothered to look at the nozzles) my Mini MEST has metal nozzles as well.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #327 of 7,301
It's universal. I didn't realise the 'normal' version had metal nozzles. Although now I look (I've been using the stock tips, so hadn't bothered to look at the nozzles) my Mini MEST has metal nozzles as well.

So the differences between the US & International versions are:
1) Slight tuning differences
2) Dual vent on International version
3) Extruded socket vs recessed socket
4) Metal nozzle on U.S. version
The International version shell looks to be somewhat more sculpted as well

So what are your thoughts on Mini-MEST?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #328 of 7,301
So the differences between the US & International versions are:
1) Slight tuning differences
2) Dual vent on International version
3) Extruded socket vs recessed socket
4) Metal nozzle on U.S. version
The International version shell looks to be somewhat more sculpted as well

So what are your thoughts on Mini-MEST?
I like it in isolation, but when I compare it to the MEST, I do miss the DD bass. It's a less full-bodied and, I think, a little less resolving sound. True to its name, the overall impression is 'smaller' than the MEST.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #329 of 7,301
Hi, is the tour still happening? I unfortunately wasn't able to be notified as I got my username changed from Matz Arcangel to my current one. I should be after Resolve.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #330 of 7,301
Hi, is the tour still happening? I unfortunately wasn't able to be notified as I got my username changed from Matz Arcangel to my current one. I should be after Resolve.
Yes, Resolve is the next participant, and you were scheduled after him.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back