Unique Melody Merlin Impressions Thread (All review and impression links located in the 1st and 2nd posts. Pics in posts 3 and 4)
Jul 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #182 of 207
Just got mine this week! Love them.

Here's some pics!
http://imgur.com/a/jMi1Q

The packaging seems to have changed again from the previous posts, it comes in a relatively small White box like this one from uniquemelody.co: http://www.uniquemelody.co/slideshow/img/sample_slides/Mentor.jpg
Comes with the black aluminium cylindrical case + accessories. 

The case in my photos is a Pelican 1010 :)

Edit: Oh, and the wait time was just over 6 weeks from sending off impressions to getting the iems back through Unique Melody Global (uniquemelody.co) - tough wait, but worth it!

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #183 of 207
Just got mine this week! Love them.

Here's some pics!
http://imgur.com/a/jMi1Q

The packaging seems to have changed again from the previous posts, it comes in a relatively small White box like this one from uniquemelody.co: http://www.uniquemelody.co/slideshow/img/sample_slides/Mentor.jpg
Comes with the black aluminium cylindrical case + accessories. 

The case in my photos is a Pelican 1010 :)

Edit: Oh, and the wait time was just over 6 weeks from sending off impressions to getting the iems back through Unique Melody Global (uniquemelody.co) - tough wait, but worth it!

Nice man. How's it compare to other full size headphones you've used, particularly bass??? I only ever owned high quality full sized cans, so I don't know how these custom IEMs sound.

Also, how much did it cost including impressions? Thanks.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #184 of 207
Nice man. How's it compare to other full size headphones you've used, particularly bass??? I only ever owned high quality full sized cans, so I don't know how these custom IEMs sound.

Also, how much did it cost including impressions? Thanks.

I'm coming from the LCD-X. 

Cost-wise: all up including impressions, shipping and the Merlins it was about $1100 NZD (~$950 USD). So, about half the cost of the LCD-X. 

I'd like to preamble this by saying I don't consider myself experienced enough to give a truly objective review, this just based on my limited experience :wink:

Honestly the bass was always my major gripe with the LCD-X. It's an absolutely amazing sounding headphone, and the best out of any i've tried... but I always wished there was a touch more bass. I'm sure a bit of EQ'ing could have adjusted it to my heart's content, but I'm weird and don't like EQing anything if I can help it. The bass on the Merlins is simply delicious, and perfectly matches my audio palate. Based on the marketing and other peoples reviews I'd gone in thinking it might be a bit too strong for my taste, not the case. 

I think what's been most surprising is how good the soundstage is on the Merlins (also commented on a lot in reviews). The LCD-X is mind-blowing in this area. The Merlins can't quite boast that same level of epic 3D sound that the LCD-X has, but for in ears at half the price, and with the much more satisfying bass... really can't go wrong! There's just something really exciting about having such big sound in such a small (and light compared to the LCD-X!) package. I'm also a sucker for the colour customization and personalised fit, super satisfied 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #185 of 207

Cost-wise: all up including impressions, shipping and the Merlins it was about $1100 NZD (~$950 USD). So, about half the cost of the LCD-X. 

I'd like to preamble this by saying I don't consider myself experienced enough to give a truly objective review, this just based on my limited experience :wink:

Honestly the bass was always my major gripe with the LCD-X. It's an absolutely amazing sounding headphone, and the best out of any i've tried... but I always wished there was a touch more bass. I'm sure a bit of EQ'ing could have adjusted it to my heart's content, but I'm weird and don't like EQing anything if I can help it. The bass on the Merlins is simply delicious, and perfectly matches my audio palate. Based on the marketing and other peoples reviews I'd gone in thinking it might be a bit too strong for my taste, not the case. 

I think what's been most surprising is how good the soundstage is on the Merlins (also commented on a lot in reviews). The LCD-X is mind-blowing in this area. The Merlins can't quite boast that same level of epic 3D sound that the LCD-X has, but for in ears at half the price, and with the much more satisfying bass... really can't go wrong! There's just something really exciting about having such big sound in such a small (and light compared to the LCD-X!) package. I'm also a sucker for the colour customization and personalised fit, super satisfied :ksc75smile:

Thanks for your thoughts. Did the Merlins go up in price??? I could've sworn they use to cost $750. On the website they're $880...

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #186 of 207

I think what's been most surprising is how good the soundstage is on the Merlins (also commented on a lot in reviews). The LCD-X is mind-blowing in this area. The Merlins can't quite boast that same level of epic 3D sound that the LCD-X has, but for in ears at half the price, and with the much more satisfying bass... really can't go wrong! There's just something really exciting about having such big sound in such a small (and light compared to the LCD-X!) package. I'm also a sucker for the colour customization and personalised fit, super satisfied 
ksc75smile.gif

Congrats on your new customs! How is the isolation for you? Would it be good enough for plane flights?

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #187 of 207

Congrats on your new customs! How is the isolation for you? Would it be good enough for plane flights?

Yea man the fit is great, and so isolation is really really good. The audiologist I used took fantastic impressions which must've helped. 

In our busy office with talking and music and phone calls going on, i can only hear the slightest murmer of conversation. With music playing? Nothing at all. It seems to cut out all low-drone sorta noise so I'm assuming for plane travel they'll be excellent :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #188 of 207

Yea man the fit is great, and so isolation is really really good. The audiologist I used took fantastic impressions which must've helped. 

In our busy office with talking and music and phone calls going on, i can only hear the slightest murmer of conversation. With music playing? Nothing at all. It seems to cut out all low-drone sorta noise so I'm assuming for plane travel they'll be excellent :)

Awesome! It's been a toss-up in reviews as far as isolation goes. Thanks for the info 
beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #189 of 207

Awesome! It's been a toss-up in reviews as far as isolation goes. Thanks for the info 
beerchug.gif

The isolation on my set is pretty durn good, and they're quite nice for flights.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #193 of 207
Thats what i thought in the first place, but this post got me worried 
  Merlins sounds fine with DX50, but Merlins can sound much better (so much that I wouldn't recommend to buy Merlins if DX50 is the only source you will be using them with, IMO it's wasting money...), for example on DX100... also there is a slight background hum clearly hearable when music not plays and hum volume is stronger on LO Gain (on MID and HI gain it's almost the same hum volume).

May 8, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #194 of 207
Bump a dead thread. Anyone have an idea on what the best upgrade from a Merlin could be? Thinking Roxanne, but reviews are mixed and sound signature might not be right. No Layla, way to much cash. Ideas?

May 9, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #195 of 207
Bump a dead thread. Anyone have an idea on what the best upgrade from a Merlin could be? Thinking Roxanne, but reviews are mixed and sound signature might not be right. No Layla, way to much cash. Ideas?

rhapsodio solar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back