Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Aug 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #571 of 850
still didn't get my 2nd  Mentor, but i dont think they will be sibilant, its nothing like the default Treble is the limit of what can they do, its the limit were it will be appealing to all the customers, but as a Treble head i will always ask for more, so in case you are not a Treble head, i say stay with the default version

i did listen to the Roxxane but not for long, a friend of mine happened to be visiting UAE and he made listen to it for hours,

i didn't like the mids at all, since i like the warm sweet, lush kind of thick mids since i listen to japanese female vocals a lot, some would still be fine with the mids on the roxxane though, the bass is enough for all there, the Treble is slightly on the dark side, but not this rolled off, yet its really not for me, some people like that and some avoid it at all cost

in the end its up for what you want in the sound sig, for me the Roxxane is the last ciem that i would pick, not because i am a hater, its because it wont offer what i want, in case it would i would been one of the first owners on head-fi :p 

you really can't go wrong with the Mentor, in case you want even warmer mids, and the kind of smooth but extended Treble then the K10 is for you, the bass there is fine too. 

sorry about not commenting on the NT6 , i really wana comment on this one, yet this will take time, i will have this year i hope, always wanted to try it out. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #572 of 850
  Awesome...I wasn't aware of "treble +"...is that a free modification they can perform on a universal? Does treble + make the Mentor sibilant? Where does the treble + mod have an affect in the frequencies? I am not a treble-head, but I do like detail. I would like every IEM I own to have a different sound sig if possible...

Also Shini....I see you have owned alot of headphones in your experiences...what/where do you feel the Mentor stands in terms of soundstage and airiness? 

I don't think you want to go treble+. the normal Mentor is already very extended all the way to the sky, yet very smooth, the mid vocal has layers, I haven't touched my se846 since I got the Mentor, I got stuck with the se846 it was my wife's gift.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #573 of 850
I think the Mentor and 1p2 complement each other very well, when I go back to Mentor after listen to 1p2, I miss 1p2's textured overwhelming bass, but when I listen to the 1p2, I miss the extended treble from the Mentor, the 1p2 is missing some tones from the high, Mid vocals are also different, 1p2 sound fuller and a bit forward, Mentor wins at clarity.
If I can only keep one Mentor would be my choice, I hope my upcoming Ref 1 will extend a bit more on the high.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #574 of 850

I don't think you want to go treble+. the normal Mentor is already very extended all the way to the sky, yet very smooth, the mid vocal has layers, I haven't touched my se846 since I got the Mentor, I got stuck with the se846 it was my wife's gift.

Thank you coolmingli. I am sensitive to sibilance I must say. I will just keep it as it is. I like the way you just described the sound. I also have the 846 and think it is great, so hearing that you haven't touched it since receiving the Mentor really heightens my expectations. You are a good man for keeping your wife's gift, and what a nice wife for getting you a 846. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #575 of 850
  but when I listen to the 1p2, I miss the extended treble from the Mentor.

i  am sure that one of the 1st owners of the Mentor and the 1Plus2 fine the 1Plus2 win at the Treble extension , maybe its the cables

cause the 1Plus2 tend to sound better with the gold cable were the Mentor tend to sound the best with silver cables. 

the higher quality cables really play a role when it comes to getting the best out of the CIEM, some do fit and some don't.

yet all are opinions ^^ sorry not trying to deny your statement, we all got different ears in the end.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #576 of 850
  I think the Mentor and 1p2 complement each other very well, when I go back to Mentor after listen to 1p2, I miss 1p2's textured overwhelming bass, but when I listen to the 1p2, I miss the extended treble from the Mentor, the 1p2 is missing some tones from the high, Mid vocals are also different, 1p2 sound fuller and a bit forward, Mentor wins at clarity.
If I can only keep one Mentor would be my choice, I hope my upcoming Ref 1 will extend a bit more on the high.

This also is a confirming comment. 1plus2 was also on my list next to the Roxanne Universal. I wish it wasn't such a process to buy the 1p2. After leaving messages/calling...no response...oh well. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #577 of 850
  i  am sure that one of the 1st owners of the Mentor and the 1Plus2 fine the 1Plus2 win at the Treble extension , maybe its the cables

cause the 1Plus2 tend to sound better with the gold cable were the Mentor tend to sound the best with silver cables. 

the higher quality cables really play a role when it comes to getting the best out of the CIEM, some do fit and some don't.

yet all are opinions ^^ sorry not trying to deny your statement, we all got different ears in the end.

That is interesting, I had the 2 side by side comparison for weeks, I always felt the 1p2 missed something at the upper end, I posted that impression in the 1p2 section as well and got booted, I thought people over there may have not listened to the Mentor so they didn't know what there were talking about it, now the same opinion from you a Mentor owner, I may need my ear re calibrated. Maybe I described wrong due to lack of experience and knowledge, but I thought it was very very very obvious, the 1p2 is missing some tones from the treble.  

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #578 of 850

This also is a confirming comment. 1plus2 was also on my list next to the Roxanne Universal. I wish it wasn't such a process to buy the 1p2. After leaving messages/calling...no response...oh well. 

I have found Gavin to be super responsive over dozens of emails, he usually responds within hours. I would give him another chance, this is strange.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #579 of 850

Contact Gaivn thru the forum, he is very accommodating, I wouldn't touch the Roxanne if I were you, get the Mentor. Before I got into this hobby, I was a bass head, I never thought I would love treble and extended treble, I thought they sound harsh, the Mentor totally changed my listening habit with it's liquid smooth high, with that said, it doesn't mean the Mentor has no bass, it just doesn't overwhelm, bass quality is shy only compare to 1p2 which has a dynamic drive. 
My music library starts to change accordingly.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #580 of 850
If I could purchase the 1p2 as easily as the Mentor it would have been done. Maybe I'll try again at the 1p2 if for some reason the mentor disappoints. 1p2 and roxanne are on my list of future iems.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #585 of 850
I believe the stock cable is a Westone Epic Cable. I have the BTG Starlight cable and hear no difference between the two. It's not a 1000 dollar cable and I've never had the luxury to test the difference with anything close, so on that front I can offer no help. Practically, it depends on what you're using the cable with. If its your phone and you have a case on it, there's a good change it wont fit due the the cable's termination size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back