Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jan 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #197 of 850
  Sorry, that's not in the plan. 

"Phew!!" 
wink_face.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #198 of 850

search on ebay. you will see lots of options. 

Thanks Stephen.....the 334s are put away and I am listening strictly with the Mentor. I do really like them. I am hearing sounds in my favorite songs I did not know where there before.
It's like the first times every time I listen to my LCD3s, I am become engaged in the music and what I hear makes me stop and appreciate the passage I just heard.  

I appreciate your prompt replies to my emails and the quick time it took to get my pair.

As the orders come in, wait time may grow a bit, but your customers will hear that the wait was worth it.  Aloha, Steve

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #199 of 850
  Thanks Stephen.....the 334s are put away and I am listening strictly with the Mentor. I do really like them. I am hearing sounds in my favorite songs I did not know where there before.
It's like the first times every time I listen to my LCD3s, I am become engaged in the music and what I hear makes me stop and appreciate the passage I just heard.  

I appreciate your prompt replies to my emails and the quick time it took to get my pair.

As the orders come in, wait time may grow a bit, but your customers will hear that the wait was worth it.  Aloha, Steve

sadly my pair will hv to wait till after CNY

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #202 of 850
With the help of Stephen (UM Lab) and SF Express, the package was sent out yesterday and arrived in HK today according to online tracking, and just how could I not give the courier a call and arrange in-person pick up from the warehouse!

Here are some snap shots I took before heading out for a haircut!

Gotta say, the packaging is nice and simple. The metal storage container is solid build but the internal layering material is a little annoying, with tiny bits of the material coming off initially. The Mentor themselves are also nicely built, and they fit perfect for me, which I was a little concerned about before receiving them.

Enjoy!

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #206 of 850
Shini owned the miracle twice and now the mentor

I am sure he can help u out, i believe he already post some initial impressions and comparison ef the miracle in this thread a few pgs before

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #207 of 850
Shini owned the miracle twice and now the mentor

I am sure he can help u out, i believe he already post some initial impressions and comparison ef the miracle in this thread a few pgs before

I've once owned the miracles, so if someone could chime in and compare these 2...that'd be great

lol cmon Lazy roger smith XD follow the thread :p i did post initial impression then a mini review after 15-20 hours of listening, and a final review maybe in a two weeks or less.

also mine is Custom not Universal so i think its a slightly better comparison that Universal, due me getting better isolation. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #208 of 850
We want comparisons/impressions/review
wink.gif
!!!

The Mentor's been running for a few hours now, so should be warmed up

Souce: straight from PO of AK120

Initial impressions
Listened to a few of the usual tracks, I must say I am very glad that I made the purchase. I bought the Mentor based on my impressions and brief experience with the Miracle demo, which I found to suit my tastes/preference of sound signature rather well, and hoping the Mentor is an upgraded ver. of Miracle.

First with the fit and comfort, the Mentor is shelled much smaller than the 1plus2. Comfort-wise, both fit and sit nicely for me (but not as nicely as the Shure SE846) and pose no issue in terms of the comfortness when listening. As soon as I received the Mentor, i stripped away the stock tips, and changed to my fav tips: Spinfit tips. I use the Spitfit tips with my 1plus2 as well, and I find the Mentor have a slightly deeper insertion into the canal and thus, having slightly better isolation. So overall, the Mentor fits me very nicely!

So far I find the mids/vocal to be detailed yet smooth, and possessing slightly more body compared to 1+2. Top and bottom end extension is good, with the quantity of the bass just about right and with a nice punch to it. I have no sibilance issue with the Mentor AT ALL, which is contrary to some of the impression before. I find the treble to extend well but never sounding harsh at all. Compared to the 1plus2, Mentor's bass seems to have a little less impact as the 1plus2 bass to me, sounded very fast and deep (well controlled) -> due to the DD?

Then comes to my favourite part of the Mentor; the soundstage both horizontal and vertical is very well extended, providing a nice holographic sound. Whats differentiate the Mentor from the 1plus2 sounded very obvious to me, the sense of airyness and ambience really impresses me. In terms of resolution and analytic details, I can hear the usual details I hear with the 1plus2, but these are slightly more noticeable, possibly due to the more airy sound, offering a slightly more layered sound.

I also find the Mentor to be louder sounding than 1plus2 at the same volume setting. 

All in all, the Mentor and 1plus2 offer a different taste of sound for me, and both I enjoy and appreciate as much as one another. The 1plus2 have excellent bot/high extension, always delivering that touch of sparkle with the highs. The 1plus2 also have very good clarity and resolution, as well as having a slightly wider soundstage, but less so verticaly compared to the Mentor. I would say the 1plus2 is leaning towards the cold/analytic side, and the Mentor with a bit more warmth/body than the 1plus2 (slightly more colored sound vs 1plus2). 

My next IEM/CM purchase is likely to divert from what the 1plus2/Mentor offers, perhaps something like a Fitear CM, a more emotional and thicker sounding signature should be entertaining. 

Regarding cable pairing

Silver/gold alloy
    sounded a little too colored for my liking, the mids almost a little clouded. Not that it sounds bad, but personally I tend to prefer more seperation and clarity. However, the 1plus2 pairs very well with the silver/gold, adding more color and fun to the sound compared to the stock 'gold' cable; with the vocals projected slightly forward.

Pure silver litz
   it complements the Mentor quite well, adding to the airyness and spaciousness of the sound yet maintaining much of the Mentor's sound/tonality.

Some pics to show the size of Mentor and 1plus2

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #209 of 850
Which one extend the Treble even more? cause people compare the TH900 with 1Plus2 most of the time, with the Uber cable some said it does be as nice or better.

i thought that the Mentor isn't near the 1Plus2 , i loved the Mentor a lot but got no idea about 1Plus2 cause i don't have one yet.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #210 of 850
  Which one extend the Treble even more? cause people compare the TH900 with 1Plus2 most of the time, with the Uber cable some said it does be as nice or better.

i thought that the Mentor isn't near the 1Plus2 , i loved the Mentor a lot but got no idea about 1Plus2 cause i don't have one yet.

like i mentioned in the post, i find the 1plus2 have better treble/bass extension than the Mentor, but the Mentor is still pretty fresh from the box and 1plus2 i have been using for over 500+ hours at least. 

I think for most TOTL iem/cm, it comes down to how you prefer your sound, just like a matter of choice of coffee.

Both the Mentor and 1plus2 excels and is excellent at their own ways, I wouldnt really say the Mentor isn't near the 1plus2, cos they offer an unique sound/tonality respectively.

As for the Uber cable, I have heard many wonderful things abt it, but the poor portability and ergonomics is holding me back, since I do use it pretty often whilst on the move.

People might compare TH900 and 1plus2, but I think at the end, earphones will never deliver the same sound experience that headphones are capable of, just like headphones versus speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back