Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jan 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #76 of 850
  Ruff Ruff Ruff   
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

oh there is my doggy pal! let me translate, Saraguie: me too!! I CAN"T WAIT!!  

i know man, lets just wait :p hehehehe

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #77 of 850
Hopefully I'll find out soon if it's warm or not for me :) I barely ordered a week ago and getting antsy already lol

I'm a bit curious but the Mentor that they had during Mook Festival was the universal version correct? I would assume they would have that instead of a demo but it sounds like it would be the same thing.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #78 of 850

Wow, that is interesting. That's quite different from what Currawong & I heard at the show! From the way you've described it I wouldn't have thought it was the Mentor at all. I guess our ears do hear differently.

I don't recall using the words "warm" specifically but "full" (in comparison to the Miracles) was how I'd describe it.

It's different from what i think too. Oh well, maybe it's his silver cable, or people just hear differently.   =)
I think it would be better for and fairer to others customers if LyPForever to put the disclaimer that the Mentor is actually not customized to his ears, but borrowed from another user. And also plus the fact that he is an authorized dealer for Noble Audio. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #79 of 850
It's different from what i think too. Oh well, maybe it's his silver cable, or people just hear differently.   =)
I think it would be better for and fairer to others customers if LyPForever to put the disclaimer that the Mentor is actually not customized to his ears, but borrowed from another user. And also plus the fact that he is an authorized dealer for Noble Audio. 
:popcorn: missed all the fun judging by the missing posts didn't i :D ?

btw is the same FR chart smoothing applied to http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1002170/width/800/height/1000/flags/LLv as to your normal UM charts ? (curious if the peak is less sharp 5-10k then it normally is from memory) [some might less - less ringing, or different smoothing :D ? ]

ps i still think you need a separate page on custom-iems for the universal - clearly stating the returns policy for them re-fit [i.e. no returns for that reason, not free 60 day refit] (the price difference is fair and accounts for about the custom reshell if need be anyway, but just to be upfront :D and not mix universal and custom descriptions in one product page)

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #80 of 850
I just got notification from Stephen via email that my Mentor is done and I got a tracking. I'm hoping it will come Monday or Tuesday. I'm excited to get them. I'm guessing other people who ordered universal version will start getting theirs soon.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #84 of 850
I'm particularly interested to hear comparisons of the Mentor with the Miracle or the K10, so anyone here who is able to compare, I'd really appreciate your impressions, in due course.

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #85 of 850
I was thinking of just taking pictures and saying nothing 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I actually checked the tracking and it says Wednesday but still good considering it's coming from China. This is one of the rare times when I'm looking forward to next week bypassing the weekend :p

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #86 of 850
Congrats!  Please post some impressions. I am getting a bit impatient on waiting for the mentor universal :wink:

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #88 of 850
I had the opportunity to get a demo universal, but a VERY substantial deposit ia required...so I will wait on you guy's impressions.

Where did they offer a demo universal? I asked Stephen about demoing it with a deposit and he pretty much said no. Well he did say that they didn't really have much time to keep spares around but I interpreted that as no. He probably sensed I was weak and was going to end up buying the universal version 20 minutes later.

I kind of wish I could set up a loaner program but then I realized I would only trust a handful of people with an iem that expensive unless of course I received a very substantial deposit which defeats the purpose. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #89 of 850
Where did they offer a demo universal? I asked Stephen about demoing it with a deposit and he pretty much said no. Well he did say that they didn't really have much time to keep spares around but I interpreted that as no. He probably sensed I was weak and was going to end up buying the universal version 20 minutes later.

I kind of wish I could set up a loaner program but then I realized I would only trust a handful of people with an iem that expensive unless of course I received a very substantial deposit which defeats the purpose. 
They normally do not I suppose but I am in China, so it would have been easy to get one to me I suppose....

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #90 of 850
I would happily spend $30-40 to be able to spend one week with a top-tier IEM, the money spent offsetting the risk of ordering the "wrong" CIEM.

Imagine the Netflix of IEMs: you pay a deposit and choose to receive a universal version of a Roxanne, Mentor, K10 or other. After one week you ship it back. A company like UM could produce half a dozen of Mentor universals at a reasonable marketing cost. That would reduce the big barrier to purchase which is, for most of us, not being able to listen to the stuff before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back