Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #106 of 850
+1. Ordered from Stephen. Very responsive give him a shout for a universal version.

I ordered from Stephen Guo. You can find his profile on here and send him a PM. They ship from China but get here pretty fast. Stephen is from http://custom-iem.com/

edit: on the website, under 'how to order', has the instructions on how to contact Stephen :)

How are people ordering these (universals, that is)?  I can't find them on UM's site.  Anyone in the U.S. order the universal version yet?

Yup!! always contact stephen, if this guy was managing AU UM things would been different lol, nice guy and very helpful

Gratz on the Mentor people!! enjoy the music and shower us with mini reviews + final reviews later :p if you don't mind sharing the love >=)  

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #107 of 850
Keep on waiting while more people follow :evil:  

Yes for a 10 driver it's small. It is seriously crammed in there. It's pretty much just the internals in there and no space for anything else.

Most of the stuff I've been buying blind. There's some impressions but nothing like a demo. Of course usually I'm not an early adopter but I've been lucky the times I have been. 

Awaiting for your impressions! : )

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #108 of 850
heh. idk what to say.

So I Received my universal Mentor today

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/842396/unique-melody-mentor-universal/

here's the head-fi photo album link above - you can reference the pics for the details below from it

here's an embedded pic

UM did keep their promise and ship in time for CN NY. Stephen provided tracking when shipped and inquired about the order after it arrived.

Thank you Stephen (and errr for selling me knowing how picky of a customer I am)

it's really warm today - 42 degrees (not Fahrenheit) - not sure if I'm getting a good seal in warm weather and I've had things sound odd in extreme heat to me before. (e.g. slipping seal and disappearing isolation while seemingly having seal).
probably ignore these: I'll try in when it's cooler tomorrow morning (I hope it is). I did a bit of tip rolling and isolation (because of the seal?) is less than the larger and deeper insertion JH16FP universals (well, small customs from someone else that fit me as universals :D) but i hope when it cools down it should improve.

Comfort wise Mentor seem pretty good though, but again - not sure about seal/short nozzle and insertion depth. So far when I get a decent seal, I need to turn the bass up - 5-6 DB, and 7-8k - minus 3-4 db. The fun bit - is this is what I had to do for DN-1000 and AX60 too (even for H200 and Merlin bass, but not touching 5-10k at all). Either it's something with shallower insertion IEMs for me, or weather. I disliked the JH13 demo because of the 'detailed upper mids and treble and mids to sub-bass volume ratio :D . I suspect I just prefer the Merlin or JH16FP fun type tuning re upper mids and highs. The other thing is - for the more detailed type tuning I tend to listen at lower volumes as I find the perceived treble tuning more integrated with the sound (as in - you can't rock with them on some recordings :D)

I really like the new cable (it's supple, thicker but still not stiff and doesn't conduct sound when bumped. the y-split length is either placebo longer, or longer than the original UM westone style cable and I personally think the ysplit-less design will last longer (vs the annoying hard black plastic splitter)).

I've included some size pics to a small custom or large universal jh16fp - whichever way you like to think about it.

my UM case twists smoothly

What I didn't like so far: (and look when it says minor - it's subjective for me. what I really mean - it should be perfect and flawless)

a) (minor) Personally I have a lot tips so not a problem for me. If it's your first IEM though, and for a 1500 AUD IEMs could probably include a larger set to pick from than the 4 included :D [given fit is crucial and what not]... No, really. Aside from the standard set of silicone ones. Surely they cost $5 per 100 pc where UMLab is. Anyway.

b) (major OCD - probably doesn't bother most people) now to more constructive criticism
second - I've been over this before with UM. Why do I keep getting shipped semi-transparent faceplates when I say opaque black ^< if you guys haven't seen someone lose their marbles over faceplate black opacity levels before - here it is.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/684017/unique-melody-sm3x8-mk2-redux/sort/display_order/ <--- opaque black. pretty.
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/571313/unique-melody-sm3x8-custom-universal/ - transparent black - that is apparently opaque. come on guys - when I asked you made it happen before .
http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/5554946/width/400/flags/LL mentor it's not really opaque if you can see the driver... Why revert now?
http://www.custom-iem.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118&products_id=678 opaque black on the official site.

not quite opaque for the right faceplate in skildit's pics http://www.head-fi.org/t/696358/unique-melody-mentor-debut-in-tokyo-e-earphone-festival/90#post_10162643 . Just .... ugh.
I DON'T want to see a driver sticking out of the faceplate. and people will as usual 'oooh man stop nitpicking' .
Opaque black should be opaque. You know how people complain about bubbles - that's like a giant ugly bubble in the middle of the faceplate for $1500 IEMs. grrrrrrrrrrr /endrant

c) (minor) the IEM body is actually dark BLUE in brighter daylight. not Transparent black errr, it was meant to be lol

d) I did a bit of tip rolling and isolation is a bit disappointing (say for the train for quiet music) - med comply Tx500, single F silicon of 3 sizes and types, double F silicone. Although I suppose, I'll reserve my impressions on isolation for colder days

e) yes, as http://www.head-fi.org/t/696358/unique-melody-mentor-debut-in-tokyo-e-earphone-festival/90#post_10162643 skildit mentions the larger cables don't fit recessed phone cases, but that's hardly news for people with this type of plugs . Funnily enough viablue plugs and the like seem to also be incompatible with recessed sockets or these sorts of cases(the bigger the plug 'the better it is' (is probably what people who make them are thinking :D)

f) the milling on one of the nozzles is dodgy (mostly one of mine). Sure you don't see the nozzle, but when you change tips every year you can see someone's hand slip when doing it. several times. grrrr. QC ?

g) for the memory wire metal bit in the cable - you can see it's blackening in bits or rusting or something.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #109 of 850
The nozzle of the Mentor are a bit short so I can see tips falling of being an issue. Actually I had the TF10 tips come out due to that. I put these biflange tips and I pushed it past the nozzle a bit so it should be more secure. 

For some reason the stock cable doesn't work too well for me with my glasses. I have plenty that fit so I switched out to another one. As far as sound I do like what I hear so far. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since there was limited information on them as they are new and I'm not one to be an early adopter. My V6 Stage was also bought early on and I really like those.

The sound doesn't deviate too far from where I like it which is neutral. For an example of what I like think the UERM. I would say it's a fairly smooth sounding iem but not overly so where it distracts from the rest of the sound. I really like the mid range of these. From what I'm hearing so far what stands out is the mid range. What I mean by that is standing out is that the mid range is very good and not that I only hear the mid range and nothing else. The bass quantity is around where I like it. I would say it sits between my UERM and JH13 in bass amount. That means those that are expecting a bass head level iem need to look elsewhere. The Mentor is pretty smooth on top which differs from something like my V6 Stage and most of the iems I have really liked. Usually there's a bump on top where sibilance can be an issue if recordings are not good enough. This is why I say it's a smooth sounding iem. 

I won't say too much since it's early and I haven't had them too long. However right now I don't hear any glaring faults. I can't see someone saying I don't like the UM Mentor because of x,y,z but rather saying I don't like it because it is not my preferred signature. At this level it should be about signature rather than technical performance and I feel that is the case. 

On another note it seems that I'm the only one who did some customization on it in terms of color but it is more limited compared to customs. Stephen said the shell can be clear/black but the face plate can be at your choosing. When I first got the iem the felt inside the case might have made the iems look like a lint magnet but I'll see if it was that or just something else.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #110 of 850
The nozzle of the Mentor are a bit short so I can see tips falling of being an issue. Actually I had the TF10 tips come out due to that. I put these biflange tips and I pushed it past the nozzle a bit so it should be more secure. 

oh yea forgot the T400 size white silicon ones slip and stay in my right ear :| . comply sit on the nozzle ok. I suppose - hot weather - so not the most realistic indication, but normal use will eventually oil them too ? insertion wise mine are already borderline too shallow so I don't want to push them too far back. Stock ones didn't seem to slip from what I can tell so far. (the white silicon ones are a bit softer though)

For some reason the stock cable doesn't work too well for me with my glasses. I have plenty that fit so I switched out to another one. As far as sound I do like what I hear so far. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since there was limited information on them as they are new and I'm not one to be an early adopter. My V6 Stage was also bought early on and I really like those.

just the long hard memory wire?

I won't say too much since it's early and I haven't had them too long. However right now I don't hear any glaring faults. I can't see someone saying I don't like the UM Mentor because of x,y,z but rather saying I don't like it because it is not my preferred signature. At this level it should be about signature rather than technical performance and I feel that is the case. 

+1

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #111 of 850
It should be secure for now as I stretching the core a bit past the nozzle so it should be fine. It probably only works on tips with longer cores like a biflange tip. It may not work as well with a TF10 tip but I'll try later. If the nozzle on the Mentor was a bit longer I think this wouldn't be an issue.

The long memory wire may be what's making it not work as well. I have the stock cable now but I may end up using my Silver Poison cable as I do need a straight plug for my dap. Alternatively I did want to buy another cable from Peter at CustomArt so will probably go down that route. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #112 of 850
I really like the mid range of these. From what I'm hearing so far what stands out is the mid range. What I mean by that is standing out is that the mid range is very good and not that I only hear the mid range and nothing else. The bass quantity is around where I like it. I would say it sits between my UERM and JH13 in bass amount.

yup, I definitely think think people who loved the JH13 style would probably find Mentor highly appealing. (brighter, neutral-ish, bright but not thick mids, with the desired bumped up sub-bass depending on which one you lean towards)

Likewise - I do definitely appreciate the mids detail. Especially when switching between Merlin or JH16 and Mentor (mids detail and perceived highs detail increase as we go to the right :D of the list)

>If the nozzle on the Mentor was a bit longer I think this wouldn't be an issue.

yup. I'd take 1.5-2mm more easily.

oh that reminds - gotta try it with my other qusp silver cable.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #113 of 850
much apprecaite the upcoming reviews, i am also at the edge of pulling the trigger
either the N6 or the Mentor, but then 10BA units sounds appealing to me, i know it all depends on the tuning and other factors, but i would assume the sound cant get too bad with UM

can anyone comment more on the sound stage, transparency and detailing of the mentor?

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #114 of 850
  much apprecaite the upcoming reviews, i am also at the edge of pulling the trigger
either the N6 or the Mentor, but then 10BA units sounds appealing to me, i know it all depends on the tuning and other factors, but i would assume the sound cant get too bad with UM

can anyone comment more on the sound stage, transparency and detailing of the mentor?

I'm concerned because neither of you guys have raved about the SQ. I guess if it's just mediocre I will try to cancel my universal.
I do have FT!334s and Miracles and was hoping to get better. If you have the time please post a review.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #115 of 850
I don't see why you should be concerned just because there is no raving. I have some very good iems and not impressed easily. Maybe if I was coming from something of lower quality it would be different. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #117 of 850
I'm sure what people really want is a comparison between the top-tier UIEMs like the FT334. All I can do is my thoughts coming from the Westone 4.

Soundstage: It's wider from left to right. But you don't get the feeling of them being full sized headphones or speakers. Probably because how up-front the vocals are.

Separation and Clarity: Superb. Even though the vocals are in the forefront, you can still hear everything individually. I can even hear little nuances that I didn't before (for example, in Aloe Blacc's 'Miss Fortune' there is a tone sweep right at the beginning that I never heard before)

Isolation: With stock tips, not much. Doesn't go deep in the canal. Even though I feel I have a good fit, I can hear way too much of the outside.

Treble: More treble than the W4's, making it a more fun IEM to listen to. It's what I wanted. I can't yet tell if it is fatiguing because I'm listening to it at a higher volume than I'm used to since I don't have foam tips for them yet. I can certainly say they aren't laid back. 

Bass: There's more bass. Punchier. Rumblier. Still not at the level of dynamics though. I'm not getting an ear tingling sensation or feeeeeling it. I'm not saying it's bad, because it definitely is good in bass. It has just enough (for some more than enough). Just not feeling it course through me like I like bass to do. Still need better tips, though.

Overall they are a noticeable improvement over my Westone 4's. But this is all newbie speak, lol. Take what you will from it. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #118 of 850
yup, I definitely think think people who loved the JH13 style would probably find Mentor highly appealing. (brighter, neutral-ish, bright but not thick mids, with the desired bumped up sub-bass depending on which one you lean towards)

Likewise - I do definitely appreciate the mids detail. Especially when switching between Merlin or JH16 and Mentor (mids detail and perceived highs detail increase as we go to the right
biggrin.gif
of the list)

>If the nozzle on the Mentor was a bit longer I think this wouldn't be an issue.

yup. I'd take 1.5-2mm more easily.

oh that reminds - gotta try it with my other qusp silver cable.

I was planning to demo the JH13 but somehow the dealer only got JH16 available, so i tried out the UM Miracle instead, which had a sound sig that i think is quite nice. Then shortly afterwards, payment for the Universal Mentor was sent!

Fingers crossed on how the Mentor will turn out; hopefully the tuning will suit my tastes

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #119 of 850
  I'm sure what people really want is a comparison between the top-tier UIEMs like the FT334. All I can do is my thoughts coming from the Westone 4.

Soundstage: It's wider from left to right. But you don't get the feeling of them being full sized headphones or speakers. Probably because how up-front the vocals are.

Separation and Clarity: Superb. Even though the vocals are in the forefront, you can still hear everything individually. I can even hear little nuances that I didn't before (for example, in Aloe Blacc's 'Miss Fortune' there is a tone sweep right at the beginning that I never heard before)

Isolation: With stock tips, not much. Doesn't go deep in the canal. Even though I feel I have a good fit, I can hear way too much of the outside.

Treble: More treble than the W4's, making it a more fun IEM to listen to. It's what I wanted. I can't yet tell if it is fatiguing because I'm listening to it at a higher volume than I'm used to since I don't have foam tips for them yet. I can certainly say they aren't laid back. 

Bass: There's more bass. Punchier. Rumblier. Still not at the level of dynamics though. I'm not getting an ear tingling sensation or feeeeeling it. I'm not saying it's bad, because it definitely is good in bass. It has just enough (for some more than enough). Just not feeling it course through me like I like bass to do. Still need better tips, though.

Overall they are a noticeable improvement over my Westone 4's. But this is all newbie speak, lol. Take what you will from it. 

The isolation gets better if you can find a tip that goes deeper. I'm using some biflange tip when I had the RE0 and it's much better. Of course most of my tips didn't work too well except for this one for some strange reason. I agree about separation and clarity. It's good on both ends. I'll have to compare it to my UERM one day to see just how good it is. 

As far as sound stage I'm not really big on them especially in an iem. Even the largest stage doesn't compare to any full sized I've owned or heard. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #120 of 850
My CIEM Mentor will be shipped soon, i hope this week at least @_@ thanks for the minor info people, glad that the mids turned out to be warm :3 yet i have Tralucent Gold cable which is kind of bright -.-'' waiting for my Silver Widow cable, i will listen for the Mentor with stock cable for few hours and give some initial review then switch to the other cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back