Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Aug 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #556 of 850
Due to inactivity of this thread, tt seems that people are enjoying their Mentors or pursuing others.... 
biggrin.gif

Need some advice: best custom cable paired with Mentors? 

Will be going for balanced.

I have in the moment pure silver 24awg from HPL Audio which is single ended. And love it.

Want to hear experiences from others...Care to chip in? 

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #557 of 850
  Due to inactivity of this thread, tt seems that people are enjoying their Mentors or pursuing others.... 
biggrin.gif

Need some advice: best custom cable paired with Mentors? 

Will be going for balanced.

I have in the moment pure silver 24awg from HPL Audio which is single ended. And love it.

Want to hear experiences from others...Care to chip in? 

yes.....really enjoying my mentor and i have visit head fi less :frowning2:

i am now using the effect audio odin cable with my mentor..compare to the stock cable..i find that odin has improved the clarity and low for quite a bit ....

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #558 of 850
Mentor is the best thing ever came into my life, it took me 2 month to find the best cable, DAP and recently the tips for it,  the bass is on the lean side with less texture compare to the dynamic driver, but everything else out weight this only regret.
I am serious consider reshell my universal into custom.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #559 of 850
So what cables are you using Bro.? Eartips?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #560 of 850
So what cables are you using Bro.? Eartips?

At first I use the Comply, they muffed the sound, someone at the 1 plus 2 forum suggested the JVC spiral tips, a local member gave me a pair, while the JVC tips are very comfortable and don't come loose, but I found I lost all the bass, I don't know why, for all the silicon tips I tired  there were no bass. I went back to the Comply forum tips, cut the front part, now is all good, I also got a pair headphone lounge's balanced silver cable, my TWau Reference is coming, not sure if it will bring the Mentor one level up or not.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #561 of 850
Tried the Monster Tips.. It has this tubey (like you're in a pipe) sound. Maybe because the air passage is small. Thank's for the tip on the Comply. Yes it tend to suppress the upper frequencies thus having a muffled sound.

I am looking also the Twau Reference or Complement3 hoping to level up.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #562 of 850
  Just had a short listening session with universal fit Mentor and hybrid 3X, compared with my 4 years old Mage. Expecting to finally found my replacement for Mage but dissappointed as Mentor quite different from my Mage sound signature (with Fiio silver cable). Mentor noticible harder to drive too as I need to increase my iPhone volume by nearly 50% to get almost equal loudness.

My quick 2 cents, Mentor sound like Mage with HUGE and TALL subwoofer but vocalist being positioned next to the subwoofer, inside as indoor venue.

Generally smooth sounding, great details and imho best bass layering and depth I heard so far. Punchy bass but still polite and controlled. Make Mage's low end sound like chicken fart. Lower mid to higher mid sound a bit distant compared to Mage but Mage's mid quite in your face. Mid are smooth but thick and warm (?) compared to Mage. High sounded rolled off compared to Mage, doesnt extend high probably due to warm sound signature. Soundstage wise, Mentor sounds like in big hall/auditorium while Mage sound like open air ground, if that ever make sense. Both wide soundstage but Mentor sound towards dark side while Mage on the bright side.

Therefore, I still stick to my Mage until UM comes out with something new :hint:

p.s: Apologies if my comparison doesnt help as I stop testing/playing with audio stuff for quite some time. Thanks to Stereo Singapore too, for the chance to test it out

Lost my Mage and went to stereo to test out all the UM's ciems while deciding which one to go to, and Toughnut I totally agree with you. I hated Miracle for its U shaped sound and distant mids, talked to Stephen and he mentioned Mentor is like Mage with better bass and seperation, turns out its not really the case. Mentor sounds better than Miracle to my taste but I desire better presence of mids. To me Mentor's vocal still abit thin, and distant. It's very very detailed and seperation is in another level compared to Mage, but I still love the sound signature of Mage despite the chicken fart bass, lol.

In the end, a new pair of Mage is on it's way.  :)

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #563 of 850
  Lost my Mage and went to stereo to test out all the UM's ciems while deciding which one to go to, and Toughnut I totally agree with you. I hated Miracle for its U shaped sound and distant mids, talked to Stephen and he mentioned Mentor is like Mage with better bass and seperation, turns out its not really the case. Mentor sounds better than Miracle to my taste but I desire better presence of mids. To me Mentor's vocal still abit thin, and distant. It's very very detailed and seperation is in another level compared to Mage, but I still love the sound signature of Mage despite the chicken fart bass, lol.

In the end, a new pair of Mage is on it's way.  :)

hmmm i didn't dine the Mentor's mids to be thin, in fact its quite thick, warm and enjoyable, specially when listening to female vocals, i guess it does depend on what source are you using too, and amp as well.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #564 of 850
Shini, did you end up with the Toxic Silver Widows? How was it as compared to an all silver cable?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #565 of 850
Shini, did you end up with the Toxic Silver Widows? How was it as compared to an all silver cable?

it was something that you would never replace and would go Fan-Boy on it :3 

Sparkling smooth treble, tighter cleaner bass, and the vocals went even better , i forgot that all were using the stock cable too haha, its like the SW became my default option or something that i forgot that i am using it :p 

worth the waiting really, and you know how picky i am lol .

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #566 of 850
Here we go again...I picked up these over the Roxanne Universals...I'm excited to see how this compares against some of the other IEMS I love...846, ASG2, IE80...I didn't want the Rox because even though I appreciate the LCD2.2 sound, I don't wish to have a similar sounding IEM as people have been stating. Some say it sounds like the LCD-3. I do love my bass...what brought me to headfi a few years ago was the search for headphones that could output the most bass...I have gone completely full-circle. I now crave details, along with some bass texture. The thing that turned me off about the Roxanne's was the size/fit, as well as some complaints about the overall sound signature. I wanted IEMS with a developed soundstage, and details while still being fun. The 846 and ASG2 take care of a lot of my bass cravings. I was also very interested in the Merlins for a long long time, and the Mentors being the newest creation from UM, made sense. I understand that the Merlins and the Mentor still have different qualities, but also have some house similarities. Maybe I will pick up the Roxanne if it drops in price in the next few months. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #568 of 850
  Someone respond in the next 24 hours and make me feel like I made the right decision! 
redface.gif

the mentor rocks man :p  at least you wont get the same sound sig as LCD2 right? :3 

maybe ask for Treble + , they can make it extend more like 1Plus2 if you asked for that, i did order my 2nd pair, and asked for that, like this the Mentor will be the perfect CIEM >=) 

for me at least since a lot tend to be happy with the default Treble,  still Roxx vs Mentor mids wise, the Mentor is on another level, you can miss this creamy sweet mids of the mentor ^^

the bass isn't overwhelming too, its fun and have the right amount of punch, UM really know how to balance the sound and still make you enjoy.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #569 of 850
  the mentor rocks man :p  at least you wont get the same sound sig as LCD2 right? :3 

maybe ask for Treble + , they can make it extend more like 1Plus2 if you asked for that, i did order my 2nd pair, and asked for that, like this the Mentor will be the perfect CIEM >=) 

for me at least since a lot tend to be happy with the default Treble,  still Roxx vs Mentor mids wise, the Mentor is on another level, you can miss this creamy sweet mids of the mentor ^^

the bass isn't overwhelming too, its fun and have the right amount of punch, UM really know how to balance the sound and still make you enjoy.

Awesome...I wasn't aware of "treble +"...is that a free modification they can perform on a universal? Does treble + make the Mentor sibilant? Where does the treble + mod have an affect in the frequencies? I am not a treble-head, but I do like detail. I would like every IEM I own to have a different sound sig if possible...

Also Shini....I see you have owned alot of headphones in your experiences...what/where do you feel the Mentor stands in terms of soundstage and airiness? 

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #570 of 850

Do you have experience with the Roxanne? Any additional information you can make in comparison? I apologize in advance if I'm asking the same question. I read the entire thread twice, but love reiteration. (Also in Head-Fi land, 38 pages in a thread is minute.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back