Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #301 of 338
My Martian finally burn-in recently.

Before it is burn-in, I had been cable rolling from stock to sxc24, scx8 and also bought the pw no5 as i find the bass is not enough so trying cable rolling. I find that the stock cable and pw no5 is better than sxc24 and sxc8. Still not satisfied about the bass, i start tip rolling. From stock silicon to foam tips then bought the JVC Spiral Dot tips and found the bass is good!

Just try changing to JVC Spiral Dot tips. Got better bass. Worth to try for anyone need more bass on the Martian

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #302 of 338
Not as common as 2 pin and mmcx, but plenty of places offers this cable. You can find plenty on Luna shop or Aliexpress, some premium brands also offer them, for example Effect audio.

Simply search for Ultimate ears connectors or cable. Just be careful, don't buy the one for triple find, must have these angled connectors of USE, UM, Qdc.

I would still recommend going directly to UM for the cable. Lunashops connector is actually very slightly different from what manufacturers use as it has an extra small little strip of plastic on the connector that fits well with their own DIY 2 pin sockets, but becomes excessively tight with what the likes of UE and UM offer.

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #304 of 338
It depends on which you get. I have few from luna shop, some connectors were really tight and after few months even cracked. But different cable is working flawlessly.

I chat with a few aftermarket cable makers quite regularly and they've brought up the failure rate and cracking of those connectors. If you look at the two components at the top of the image, you'll see the little plastic strip in the middle I'm talking about. It basically prevents a full deep insertion as intended, unless you decide to really jam it in there - in which case you risk breaking it.
14-7s-tf10-10.jpg

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #306 of 338
Do you guys DIY your own cables or bought aftermarket?

i got this issue right now.. torn memory cable.. found somebody online willing to DIY a cable for me.. 26.5AWG pure copper for 50usd, 24AWG pure copper for 95usd or sliver for 182usd.. not sure is it worth it and should i go for copper or silver.

MwKp3

MwKp3
MwKp3

MwKp3

T1v5Oki

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #309 of 338
Recently, I just change the tip to sony hybrid and due to the good seal, i realize i have missed such a wonderful, natural and real sounding from Martian. I have been still not satisfied with the bass from Martian even after burn-in till i change to this sony hybrid tip that change all my perception.

This is the sound i had been looking for! I feel like buying another Martian! I had been trying totl iem but only UM Legacy come close of buying but cannot bear to part such an amt to buy it. Thanks to the guy that help me to change to this tip after telling him that i just want a slight increase to the bass and i will be satisfied with Martian. Now, i am totally satisfied! Did not know the seal is not good previously and the difference it make.

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #310 of 338
Recently, I just change the tip to sony hybrid and due to the good seal, i realize i have missed such a wonderful, natural and real sounding from Martian. I have been still not satisfied with the bass from Martian even after burn-in till i change to this sony hybrid tip that change all my perception.

This is the sound i had been looking for! I feel like buying another Martian! I had been trying totl iem but only UM Legacy come close of buying but cannot bear to part such an amt to buy it. Thanks to the guy that help me to change to this tip after telling him that i just want a slight increase to the bass and i will be satisfied with Martian. Now, i am totally satisfied! Did not know the seal is not good previously and the difference it make.

Woah, really glad you're happy with your purcahse in the end! :smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #311 of 338
Actually I hope to find a custom iem that sound like Martian. Anyone can recommend? So far, I like UM legacy but feel too expensive. Feel heart pain to spend so much for a ciem.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #312 of 338
Actually I hope to find a custom iem that sound like Martian. Anyone can recommend? So far, I like UM legacy but feel too expensive. Feel heart pain to spend so much for a ciem.

Woah

I am also curious about this, the sound of Martian is so awesome!

I'm amazed there are not enough people talking about it!

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #313 of 338
Woah

I am also curious about this, the sound of Martian is so awesome!

I'm amazed there are not enough people talking about it!
I would certainly argue that if it is not more popular, it is because it is not that impressive.
If you're going to bother using 2 dynamic drivers in an IEM, which is not technically simple, you may as well go for a very characteristic signature (such as... good bass and sub bass), and not a "smooth natural" signature with very little extension on both sides, which can be achieved using much simpler/cheaper driver configurations.

With a similar driver config, Rose Cappuccino MK2 were much more impressive in all domains (bass, mids, treble) although they don't sound smooth at all, on the contrary.
In the UM range, Merlin v2 are on another level, detail-wise and offer more solid bass, although they are very expensive.

In terms of hybrid IEMs in the sub-1000$ area, Fidue Sirius are a much better package overall (built, sound, details).
Even iBasso IT03 are more pleasant if you're after a smooth coherent signature and they're sub-300$.

I know sound is very subjective, but these Martians don't offer anything truely remarkable for the price, hence the lack of interest.
When you're in the higher mid-range, you have to bring something specific to the table if you want to get out the pack, because mid-range is neither about price (entry models) nor about "having the biggest/best/largest [insert attribute]" (high-end models).

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #314 of 338
I would certainly argue that if it is not more popular, it is because it is not that impressive.
If you're going to bother using 2 dynamic drivers in an IEM, which is not technically simple, you may as well go for a very characteristic signature (such as... good bass and sub bass), and not a "smooth natural" signature with very little extension on both sides, which can be achieved using much simpler/cheaper driver configurations.

With a similar driver config, Rose Cappuccino MK2 were much more impressive in all domains (bass, mids, treble) although they don't sound smooth at all, on the contrary.
In the UM range, Merlin v2 are on another level, detail-wise and offer more solid bass, although they are very expensive.

In terms of hybrid IEMs in the sub-1000$ area, Fidue Sirius are a much better package overall (built, sound, details).
Even iBasso IT03 are more pleasant if you're after a smooth coherent signature and they're sub-300$.

I know sound is very subjective, but these Martians don't offer anything truely remarkable for the price, hence the lack of interest.
When you're in the higher mid-range, you have to bring something specific to the table if you want to get out the pack, because mid-range is neither about price (entry models) nor about "having the biggest/best/largest [insert attribute]" (high-end models).

I wouldn't say that Martians aren't well extended. On the contrary, their bass and treble extension is extreme, much bettere than I was expecting.

Are you sure we both tested UM Martian? The one I have has more treble extension and tighter / higher quality bass than a few 1K IEMs out there.

I agree that having 2 dynamics per ear would make one imagine a very strong bottom end, but surprisingly Martian has a tight and although enhanced, somewhat natural bottom end.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #315 of 338
I wouldn't say that Martians aren't well extended. On the contrary, their bass and treble extension is extreme, much bettere than I was expecting.
Extension was sub-par compared to all the IEMs I listed, even the IT03. Extension is not only about hearing something, it is also how it is balanced versus the rest of the spectrum.
These were all tested during the same trip to Singapore, and I spent complete afternoons A/B-ing IEMs, and using my Spiral dot tips for all of these. Martians were initially my primary target due the peculiar configuration, but I ended up buying the IT03 and Sirius during this trip, and never regretted that choice since then, they are still my go-to models when I want a well-balanced sound with no brightness.

With the adequate financial means, Merlin v2 are way better than Martians if someone is really after a high-end UM model.

To come back to smooth signature for custom IEMs, CA Harmony 8.2 usually comes to my mind right way. They're not the most detailed CIEMs but offer a very smooth relaxed signature with decent bass, detailed mids and VERY natural treble (very good cymbal rendering, and this is the downfall of many IEMs). They're not extremely expensive if you reside outside the EU (= without the 20% VAT).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back