Unique Melody Announcements, Impressions, & More
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #106 of 553
Hey all! I'm back to bother everyone and hopefully bring some good news while I'm at it.

Thank you to everyone who showed interest in trying out the Mentor and Mason. I was honestly very surprised at the level of interest as well as the number of people I thought would be able to do a really kickass job of diving into the units. I originally intended on having just 5 reviewers each for the Mentor and Mason, but ultimately bumped the number up a bit. So, again, really big thank you for all the interest!

I'm also happy to say that there was only 1 person not from North America that signed up for the tour (you know who you are... you'll get your chance :wink:)

Quick disclaimer before I announce the list of people who will be participating in the US/Canada tour for the units - Naturally, there was more interest for the Mason than there was for the Mentor. I did my best to accommodate everyone, doing my best to not only look into the preferences everyone took in terms of the sign-up sheet, but also, to some degree, your sound signature preferences historically. Feel free to let me know if you have any sort of issues!

Participants for the tour are:

Mason V3:

@jbr1971
@justrest
@fuhransahis
@jinxy245
@rantng
@shenanbay
@ngoshawk
@ExpiredLabel

Mentor V3:
@ambchang
@Evilcalyptic
@NaiveSound
@ahmadfaizadnan
@darveniza
@San Man

I'll be following up with an email outlining more details for you all soon. Stay tuned!

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #111 of 553
Hey all! I'm back to bother everyone and hopefully bring some good news while I'm at it.

Thank you to everyone who showed interest in trying out the Mentor and Mason. I was honestly very surprised at the level of interest as well as the number of people I thought would be able to do a really kickass job of diving into the units. I originally intended on having just 5 reviewers each for the Mentor and Mason, but ultimately bumped the number up a bit. So, again, really big thank you for all the interest!

I'm also happy to say that there was only 1 person not from North America that signed up for the tour (you know who you are... you'll get your chance :wink:)

Quick disclaimer before I announce the list of people who will be participating in the US/Canada tour for the units - Naturally, there was more interest for the Mason than there was for the Mentor. I did my best to accommodate everyone, doing my best to not only look into the preferences everyone took in terms of the sign-up sheet, but also, to some degree, your sound signature preferences historically. Feel free to let me know if you have any sort of issues!

Participants for the tour are:

Mason V3:

@jbr1971
@justrest
@fuhransahis
@jinxy245
@rantng
@shenanbay
@ngoshawk
@ExpiredLabel

Mentor V3:
@ambchang
@Evilcalyptic
@NaiveSound
@ahmadfaizadnan
@darveniza
@San Man

I'll be following up with an email outlining more details for you all soon. Stay tuned!

Fantastic! We are really looking forward to this! Thanks @Cotnijoe!

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #112 of 553
Thanks @Cotnijoe for this opportunity, I've always been curious about the UM house sound and now I get the chance to audition them.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #113 of 553
Great to see UM as a sponsor.

I have been wanting to add mason v2 to my collection for a while now, but mason V3 with 16BA, crazy stuff, drools.
However I think the V3’s are ever so slightly out of my reach, the mason V2 or possibly mentor V3 would be nearer the mark for me.

A “not out of the question” Shanling and UM partnership, only great things can come out of such a partnership, two great companies, respect to both Shanling and UM.

A possible UK tour, that would be great if it happened.

2018 has kicked off to a great start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #115 of 553
Hey guys,

UM was kind enough to loan me a Mason V3 for the month. I don’t know whether or not this is the right place to post impressions of the new line-up, but I’ve been enjoying it immensely, and I hope these impressions give y’all an idea of what to expect when the tour actually starts. Copied and pasted from @flinkenick’s Ranking the Stars thread, my thoughts are as follows:

Unique Melody Mason V3

The Mason V3 is a 16-driver in-ear from Unique Melody. Headlining their Gen. 3 series of products, the Mason is equipped with a several of UM’s latest technological innovations. One of them is the dB-Go module; a dial on the IEM’s faceplate that allows the user to control bass frequencies. Another is the Dual-Tone cable, which lets the listener swap between two metallic compositions (in this case: Silver and copper) to alter the tonality of the IEM. The following impressions were written with the copper cable and with the dB-Go module turned up, as this yielded my most preferred signature. But, it should be noted that the majority of my impressions applies to any combination of settings within the Mason V3.

The Mason is a superbly balanced monitor with a warmish-neutral tone. A well-extended treble and an excellently-controlled lower-midrange produce a large, clean and stable stage, particularly excelling in width, depth and imaging precision. Though, ‘thin’ should never be a word associated with the Mason V3’s signature. A buttery warmth belies its instrumental presentation - thickening them with harmonic warmth, yet never nearing veil or congestion. An upper-mid peak is its main source of clarity, while an attenuated middle-treble maintains smoothness throughout the Mason's frequency response. As a result, vocals are just slightly forward in the stage, yet they are well-resolved, decently bodied and pleasingly rich.

The Mason is equipped with a warm, rich and supple low-end - dominated by a weightiness in the upper-bass that transitions exceptionally into the lower-midrange, rather than sub-bass rumble. But, admirable extension ensures that bass resolution and physicality are always apparent. Never does the Mason’s bass feel thin or light. Again, the Mason V3’s treble is a marvellous achievement; striking the sweet-spot between detail and ease. Treble notes are released with exceptional finesse - never a note too brittle nor sharp nor harsh. And, because of excellent top-end linearity and extension, treble notes decay very naturally; further adding to the Mason V3’s delicate balance between transparency and organicity.

In a densely populated market of luxuriously-priced IEMs, the Mason V3 still proves capable of standing strong on its own two feet. Sporting an excellent blend of warmth and clarity, UM's new flagship is a stand-out piece - amalgamating 16 whole drivers into a single, harmonious voice.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #117 of 553
@Cotnijoe I was curious if I might be able to inquire about demoing/reviewing both units (preferably at the same time) for the sake of comparisons and giving more feedback for the community.
Thanks for the consideration

Logistically, that would be real difficult to do. I can look to send the mentor your way at the end of the tour if that's something you're interested in.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #118 of 553
I certainly don't wish to make things harder than they already are on your guys end. If this is what can be done, than I will take you up on it. Much appreciated. Again thanks for the consideration!

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #120 of 553
I finally got round to publishing my review of the Mason V3 (custom model). those interested can find it here:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-unique-melody-mason-v3/
For me this is one of my all time favourite monitors, it's exceptionally good.
Great review Lieven! The V3 keep sounding like they are very, very good indeed. Love the baby Groot design, btw, despite not having seen the movies. So thanks for the YouTube link, will need to get those movies asap! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back