Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 9, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #5,221 of 7,302
So I've had about 24 hours with the MkII and wow... I'm trying hard to not gush too much because I go back through my posts and every time I get a new headphone or IEM I go on about how much I love them but these are so freaking good. They do something I've never had an IEM do before, they are projecting a soundstage that sounds bigger than 180 degrees. Everything else I've heard, the sound starts perpendicular to my ears and wraps around the front with varying depths and distances depending on the IEM but the sound never crosses that line perpendicular to my ears. These I can touch a spot about 2-3cm behind my ear and draw the line from there, I don't know if it's the BC driver magic or just an overall massive soundstage but it's really impressive.
That sounds like the BCD to me and is one of the main reasons that imaging is so good with them. It's defined with surgical precision. I've listened to them so long now that I know how big of a stage I am "putting" in my ears based on the song.

The more I listen to them the more familiar I am with what size stage it will provide. I love them. It's almost like I put them on my head instead of in my head if that makes sense.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #5,222 of 7,302
Nice. Were you able to remove the mesh then?
No I used a q tip and a super fine attachment from a toothbrush. First I used a q tip that’s was a little wetted with hydrogen peroxide. Held the mest with nozzle facing down so nothing was able to drip down into the mest and just waited a min with q tip on mesh. Then used a toothbrush attachment with superfine brush tips to finish cleaning the mesh on the mest. Not sure how to describe the toothbrush attachment so added a photo.
Please don’t try to remove the mesh :)

3EC79107-A8D9-45CD-910B-7030A0ED910F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #5,223 of 7,302
Blue Tack works as well.. and less risk of pushing any debris further into the mesh

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #5,224 of 7,302
Blue Tack works as well.. and less risk of pushing any debris further into the mesh
How?
Please explain.
Not sarcastic, just genuinely interested.

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #5,225 of 7,302
How?
Please explain.
Not sarcastic, just genuinely interested.
I press it against the grills... used to do it for AirPods too.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #5,226 of 7,302
Hi all,
Looking for advise. I finally got my custom MKii back from from Unigue Melody after many weeks. Complications with DHL/Paperwork and Chinese New Year definitely added to the delay but, in total it was 6 weeks without my babies.
I don't have enough expertise to confidently tell anyone about the sound difference, especially given how much time has lapsed. What does stand out to me though is the bass slam or depth of it. It definitely feels (literally feels) stronger and that may be the bone conduction driver finally doing its thing with all the contact I have against my ears now. One of my favorite songs to check low end is Chris Jones "Long after your gone", listening to it now feels like I'm sitting on the sub woofer, breathtaking!

Now, for the advise: The left bud fits really tight against the top of my ear and starts to hurt after a short time, 15 minutes or so. Eventually, I have to take it to give my ear a rest, major bummer. I message UM and they said I can send it back to them for a free adjustment. That's great but
A: I'll have to pay for shipping both ways ($100+ CDN).
B: Another 4+ weeks without them
C: How do they know how much to adjust?
I met with my audiologist and he says he could likely buff down the area that causing pressure but he is unsure how much material he has to work with. Obviously, we don't want to cause permanent damage.
Soooo, I messaged UM again to see if they can provide that detail but also I wanted to see if (by chance) someone else has had a similar issue and if they were able to solve it locally. Its a long shot but...

Thanks for any thoughts

Attachments

• UM1.jpg
    UM1.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 0
  • UM2.jpg
    UM2.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #5,227 of 7,302
Interesting and inexpensive ideal going need to grab some of it. Looks like what they use in the earphones cleaning kits on amazon just cheaper.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #5,228 of 7,302
IMG_20220311_110605.jpg

Just arrived yesterday. Hard to find the right tips for Indigo. Tried variety of tips and didn't feel. Comfortable wearing for 5mins, and right now settled with AET08 somewhat comfortable and acceptable sound.

Initial impression, coming from U18t and NIO, Indigo has way more forward mids and noticable mid bass, imaging that are sharper than knife. Staging not bad but didn't go out of my head. I don't know if i'm spoiled with Tia treble. But in certain tracks i can feel some harshness on the treble that i didn't find annoying on u18t.
Mid and vocal has a good body but still less than Nio. And on the low i don't feel any bone conduction in play here? Sub bass and slam barely felt, but i haven't tried a lot of EDM tracks..

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #5,229 of 7,302
I found they are quite tip dependant. After rolling my collection I settled on Xelastic and then dropped down a half size. Felt they were pretty good and best of the bunch. Dots just didn't nail it for me. I then went and got 2 versions of short tips from epro, TW01 and EP01, I've now had TW01 on for a few weeks and really like them.

I've finally figured out that I quite like a stereotypical 'W' shaped IEM. Maybe not strictly linear but the slightly more forward mid suits preference and musical tastes quite well.

Stage on these I completely agree with you. Certainly not the widest but what they do in between is nothing short of exemplary. I actually find too wide a stage ends up being too spread out for me and distracts from the 'music'. You end up switching focus between different aspects or the music rather than enjoying it as a whole. The imaging on Indigo let's you zone in on something specific if needed but the stage is kept reasonable so full experience can be had as well, if you get my drift.

Not sure if yours are a new set or used but the EST's need a bit of time to settle in. Could be brain burn in but I found they mellowed out after a decent run in.

As for BCD, with the right fit it works very well. I'm sat here with my morning coffee listening to The Wall (Reissue, red writing on cover, 24/96) and BCD is in full effect. I've actually got to credit Indigo for giving me a greater appreciation of this album, it never featured much on my Floyd go to albums but it sounds bloody amazing with indigo. The texture on Mother is particularly excellent. In fact, if I had to sum up indigo in 2 words, it would be texture and imaging.

BCD I notice most on deep male vocals, percussion and guitar, electric and acoustic depending on how the guitar set up and quality of engineering.

I also think Indigo can be up there at the boarder line for what some might call harsh, they're quite resolving / detailed up top (my 1st EST iem) and even with MAX I can change a few settings on the DAP and overdrive the treble to the other side of the line. They're nowhere near the resolution of Ra for example (not many are!), but they do have that detailed crispness to them instead of a soft ethereal treble. I find this gives a lot more realistic presentation of cymbals.

Synergy if probably quite important with Indigo (unlike u12t I had which would probably pair with anything quite happily). Don't think you should have an issue with n6ii though. I had N6ii with A01/T01/E01 (way before I had indigo) and would probably put T01 in last place if I was choosing one of those 3 to pair with them. Switch to an ESS from 2 years ago and maybe you'd have synergy issues.

Anyway, give them a bit of time, took a bit of playing about to get maximum smiles from them.:L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #5,230 of 7,302
I found they are quite tip dependant. After rolling my collection I settled on Xelastic and then dropped down a half size. Felt they were pretty good and best of the bunch. Dots just didn't nail it for me. I then went and got 2 versions of short tips from epro, TW01 and EP01, I've now had TW01 on for a few weeks and really like them.

I've finally figured out that I quite like a stereotypical 'W' shaped IEM. Maybe not strictly linear but the slightly more forward mid suits preference and musical tastes quite well.

Stage on these I completely agree with you. Certainly not the widest but what they do in between is nothing short of exemplary. I actually find too wide a stage ends up being too spread out for me and distracts from the 'music'. You end up switching focus between different aspects or the music rather than enjoying it as a whole. The imaging on Indigo let's you zone in on something specific if needed but the stage is kept reasonable so full experience can be had as well, if you get me drift.

Not sure if yours are a new set or used but the EST's need a bit of time to settle in. Could be brain burn in but I found they mellowed out after a decent run in.

As for BCD, with the right fit it works very well. I'm sat here with my morning coffee listening to The Wall (Reissue, red writing on cover, 24/96) and BCD is in full effect. I've actually got to credit Indigo for giving me a greater appreciation of this album, it never featured much on my Floyd go to albums but it sounds bloody amazing with indigo. The texture on Mother is particularly excellent. In fact, if I had to sum up indigo in 2 words, it would be texture and imaging.

BCD I notice most on deep male vocals, percussion and guitar, electric and acoustic depending on how the guitar set up and quality of engineering.

I also think Indigo can be up there at the boarder line for what some might call harsh, they're quite resolving / detailed up top (my 1st EST iem) and even with MAX I can change a few settings on the DAP and overdrive the treble to the other side of the line. They're nowhere near the resolution of Ra for example (not many are!), but they do have that detailed crispness to them instead of a soft ethereal treble. I find this gives a lot more realistic presentation of cymbals.

Synergy if probably quite important with Indigo (unlike u12t I had which would probably pair with anything quite happily). Don't think you should have an issue with n6ii though. I had N6ii with A01/T01/E01 (way before I had indigo) and would probably put T01 in last place if I was choosing one of those 3 to pair with them. Switch to an ESS from 2 years ago and maybe you'd have synergy issues.

Anyway, give them a bit of time, took a bit of playing about to get maximum smiles from them.:L3000:

thank you for your insight, i bought them used.
after listening for a bit i think i'm confused as for BCD, at first i thought that it has correlation to bass,
but it's the accoustic and realistic portrayal of instrument that wowed me, and i have listening to it non stop for an hour now and didn't feel fatigue or overwhelmed.
i guess it's because of wrong choice of tip that i haven't hear what Indigo can offer

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #5,231 of 7,302
Indeed, it's not purely an enhancement of bass. I'd actually go put on a limb and say it's most effective around the upper bass / lower mids. TW01 are well worth a punt, I picked up a few pairs after seeing them mentioned here a few times and they are pretty good. Definitely worth trying...

(I'm usually an M or ML, for epro (S/M/L) I found M perfect, thought I'd mention so you maybe don't have to buy the triple size pack like I did to find out!)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #5,232 of 7,302
So got my hands on Mest MKII since last night.

Things i like about it so far:
- soundstage and Imaging. Really impressive for its price. Imaging especially competes with top dogs. While dimensionally its not as wide as something like LX or Odin height is amazing and the depth is really good. It gives that holographic feel for sure.
- treble is really well done. This part is something i dont have a certain preference but rather need to hear to like or not. I seem to be quite treble sensitive, yet U18Ts treble is one of best i have heard on market.
Mest just gets it right with the rest of its tuning. Enough sparkle without taking drowning mids out in it.
- mids are actually quite natural and well integrated in tuning.
- bass. Right, this is a tricky one. Technically its amazing. Subbass focus, tastefully elevated, good speed. Problem is i have been spoiled by LX and ie900 is on another level too. I just need to get used to it i suppose. But for most people liking more balanced signature its an endgame bass.

What i am concerned about/not sure if i like.

- fit. I tip rolled yesterday and i went back to stock silicones as it keeps it tonally warmer. Very few tips i liked with it otherwise. And the ones i liked are not benchmarks on comfort on Mest.
I dont loose seal, but there is extra pressure on ears that i dont have on other iems. As i spend 5-8hrs with iems on it is a bit of a worry.
- cable. Its a bit of mess.. Tangled up out of box lol and quite stiff. Had to switch to my Eletech.
- tuning. What im going to say here its entirely my preferene. And might change after few days..
Hard to explain here. It seems like all is well balanced. And does not need to get used to. But at the same time i just miss some special flavour. I just like my food a bit spicy you see.
Will see. Need to compare it to ie900 soon.

In General. Its an amazing iem. Really technical for its price and no way its clinical. I can see it being a solid end game for so many.
I personally find it amazing on orchestral music like OSTs.
Its got a big potential staying with me. But it does not stop me looking elsewhere for some silly reason.
how does it compare to u18t?

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #5,233 of 7,302
Indeed, it's not purely an enhancement of bass. I'd actually go put on a limb and say it's most effective around the upper bass / lower mids. TW01 are well worth a punt, I picked up a few pairs after seeing them mentioned here a few times and they are pretty good. Definitely worth trying...

(I'm usually an M or ML, for epro (S/M/L) I found M perfect, thought I'd mention so you maybe don't have to buy the triple size pack like I did to find out!)
alright will definitely try tw01 tips, and agree with you that i have to go down 1 size for every tip i tried

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #5,234 of 7,302
Hi all,
Looking for advise. I finally got my custom MKii back from from Unigue Melody after many weeks. Complications with DHL/Paperwork and Chinese New Year definitely added to the delay but, in total it was 6 weeks without my babies.
I don't have enough expertise to confidently tell anyone about the sound difference, especially given how much time has lapsed. What does stand out to me though is the bass slam or depth of it. It definitely feels (literally feels) stronger and that may be the bone conduction driver finally doing its thing with all the contact I have against my ears now. One of my favorite songs to check low end is Chris Jones "Long after your gone", listening to it now feels like I'm sitting on the sub woofer, breathtaking!

Now, for the advise: The left bud fits really tight against the top of my ear and starts to hurt after a short time, 15 minutes or so. Eventually, I have to take it to give my ear a rest, major bummer. I message UM and they said I can send it back to them for a free adjustment. That's great but
A: I'll have to pay for shipping both ways ($100+ CDN).
B: Another 4+ weeks without them
C: How do they know how much to adjust?
I met with my audiologist and he says he could likely buff down the area that causing pressure but he is unsure how much material he has to work with. Obviously, we don't want to cause permanent damage.
Soooo, I messaged UM again to see if they can provide that detail but also I wanted to see if (by chance) someone else has had a similar issue and if they were able to solve it locally. Its a long shot but...

Thanks for any thoughts
I have heard people say that custom IEMs can be uncomfortable or even painful at first, but if you give your ears some time to adjust (might be 2-3 weeks, not sure?) with regular sessions, your ear anatomy will adapt and the discomfort will disappear.
Anyone on here experienced this?
It could save you a lot of hassle trying to get them adjusted if this method does work for you :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #5,235 of 7,302
Yeah, I've been going through my tip collection the last few days and definitely had to step down a size from what I typically take. I'm bouncing between the Spinfit CP360 and CP1025 right now. The 1025 is nice but I have to pull it off the nozzle a bit so the bottom of the tube sits on the lip of the nozzle but the 360 fits well and gets a deep enough insertion that I can feel the body of the mest against my skin a bit more than with the CP100 or the Final E. I've got a few more options coming in the mail and might place a few more orders as well but for now the CP360 seems to be a very good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back