Unique Melody Announcements, Impressions, & More
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #452 of 553
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #453 of 553
Any impressions of the 3DT?
I got the chance to listen to a demo set of the 3DT and the thing that got me the most was how wide, deep and open the sound stage is. It also has better than average noise isolation to protect that environment, but it’s wider and deeper than the IER-Z1R, which is what I’m listening to now to make sure. The bass is right there in quantity, quality and texture, but is just a hair less magical than the IER-Z1R. It is a rumbling beast, but the steep drop doesn’t create much mid-bass bloat, but it does make things lean toward a warmer signature than both the IER-Z1R and MEST (HK version). The 3DT has SLAM! It hits hard but doesn’t linger,
To me, the mids were pushed back a bit, but vocals were engaging for genres that I enjoy (Electronic, Pop & Hip Hop)
The highs were crystal clear with above average detail, but smooth, non-fatiguing and fun. In my opinion, a great balance between grabbing every detail and anti-aliasing the edges to smooth them out.
The fit for me was awesome and they isolate well enough to be used in crowded environments. I didn’t get to wear them walking around, but I imagine they would make a good set while on the go. The shell is sturdy and durable. The cable is thin but nice. If it terminated in 4.4mm I’d use it. Unfortunately, I didn’t check to see how the cable is connected to the IEM but it looked like recessed 2-pin. Note, this may also be because of the HK version. Aesthetics are top notch and build is excellent. Stabilised wood is excellent and I like how they provide enough heft to not feel hollow (like acrylic shells) nor do they feel like an industrial ingot (I’m looking at you Sony). The wood brings warmth, stability and smoothness that reflects the sound signature that I experienced.
I listened this to the 3DT on an ibasso dx160 via single ended 3.5mm. On low gain, good listening volume was at 35~40, which for me is a bit higher than most of my other IEMs and about on par with the IER-Z1R. I think the 3DT responds well to extra power if it’s available. I’d love to try the 3DT with a balanced cable on the DX220 MAX and even see if tubes might bring an extra level of fun to them.
To wrap up, I asked them shop if they had any in stock and they said they were sold out. They also said that the next round will probably be the international versions, which might look and, gasp, sound different to the version I demoed. This is a very interesting set and I think for those that want more rumble and slam int heir life with good detailed highs, this set might be in your wheelhouse.
@UniqueMelody this would be great in CIEM. Is there an option for this? And while I’m asking, can it also be in recessed 2-pin terminated in 4.4mm?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #454 of 553
I got the chance to listen to a demo set of the 3DT and the thing that got me the most was how wide, deep and open the sound stage is. It also has better than average noise isolation to protect that environment, but it’s wider and deeper than the IER-Z1R, which is what I’m listening to now to make sure. The bass is right there in quantity, quality and texture, but is just a hair less magical than the IER-Z1R. It is a rumbling beast, but the steep drop doesn’t create much mid-bass bloat, but it does make things lean toward a warmer signature than both the IER-Z1R and MEST (HK version). The 3DT has SLAM! It hits hard but doesn’t linger,
To me, the mids were pushed back a bit, but vocals were engaging for genres that I enjoy (Electronic, Pop & Hip Hop)
The highs were crystal clear with above average detail, but smooth, non-fatiguing and fun. In my opinion, a great balance between grabbing every detail and anti-aliasing the edges to smooth them out.
The fit for me was awesome and they isolate well enough to be used in crowded environments. I didn’t get to wear them walking around, but I imagine they would make a good set while on the go. The shell is sturdy and durable. The cable is thin but nice. If it terminated in 4.4mm I’d use it. Unfortunately, I didn’t check to see how the cable is connected to the IEM but it looked like recessed 2-pin. Note, this may also be because of the HK version. Aesthetics are top notch and build is excellent. Stabilised wood is excellent and I like how they provide enough heft to not feel hollow (like acrylic shells) nor do they feel like an industrial ingot (I’m looking at you Sony). The wood brings warmth, stability and smoothness that reflects the sound signature that I experienced.
I listened this to the 3DT on an ibasso dx160 via single ended 3.5mm. On low gain, good listening volume was at 35~40, which for me is a bit higher than most of my other IEMs and about on par with the IER-Z1R. I think the 3DT responds well to extra power if it’s available. I’d love to try the 3DT with a balanced cable on the DX220 MAX and even see if tubes might bring an extra level of fun to them.
To wrap up, I asked them shop if they had any in stock and they said they were sold out. They also said that the next round will probably be the international versions, which might look and, gasp, sound different to the version I demoed. This is a very interesting set and I think for those that want more rumble and slam int heir life with good detailed highs, this set might be in your wheelhouse.
@UniqueMelody this would be great in CIEM. Is there an option for this? And while I’m asking, can it also be in recessed 2-pin terminated in 4.4mm?
The international version would be in non recessed 2 pin; we currently don't have a custom version not sure about the future; our current cable supplier do not have 4.4mm nor 2.5mm termination for this type of cable.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #455 of 553
I am thinking of acquiring one, and this review helps a lot. How is the separation, layering, and imaging? Since only one DD handles both the mid and highs, hence asking.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #456 of 553
I am thinking of acquiring one, and this review helps a lot. How is the separation, layering, and imaging? Since only one DD handles both the mid and highs, hence asking.
Great questions. The imaging is superb. It places sounds very clearly in space and keeps each sound distinct from other sources. I listened to Yosi Horikawa’s Wandering and Bubbles and i wa blown away by how well placed everything was. Bubbles is a relatively busy track with balls bouncing all over the place and the 3DT did a great job keeping separating each of those sounds distinct and identifiable. What I didn’t hear was layer so much. To that I feel less informed. I did listen to a Tool and it did seem a little less layered that I recall in my other IEMs.
I think one thing that I might need to elaborate more on is the detail. The detail on the 3DTs is pretty good, based on my tastes, but it is not analytical. It doesn’t pick up those micro-details. What I’m basically aiming at is saying this is a FUN set. It’s not a detail monster, but it’s a great set that brings rumbling bass, engaging highs and a wide open sound stage for people who want to enjoy music.
today, I listened to QDC’s Dmagic. It is very different to the 3DT and the Dmagic is your detail monster. It gets all the little details, but is a lot less fun. I listened to it for about 5 minutes and I find the 3DT more complimentary (contrasting) to the other sets that I have.
For me, I like variety and will pick up sets just to listen to them for a while and just fold these sets into the rotation. I don’t know if this is going to be just another set for your collection, the flavour of the month or your daily driver for the next three years, so don’t take these words as an endorsement for any IEM, but if you have read something that makes you want to learn more about the set or know that this is not for you, then I’ve done some leg work for you and you win. I know these sets can be difficult to audition, but hopefully they will make their way out to you to try. If you’re interest in this set, I encourage you to let your ears decide with gear you own and music you like.
Best of luck to ya!

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #457 of 553
The international version would be in non recessed 2 pin; we currently don't have a custom version not sure about the future; our current cable supplier do not have 4.4mm nor 2.5mm termination for this type of cable.
Thank you very much for your quick and helpful response. And I love my MEST HK+

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #458 of 553
Great questions. The imaging is superb. It places sounds very clearly in space and keeps each sound distinct from other sources. I listened to Yosi Horikawa’s Wandering and Bubbles and i wa blown away by how well placed everything was. Bubbles is a relatively busy track with balls bouncing all over the place and the 3DT did a great job keeping separating each of those sounds distinct and identifiable. What I didn’t hear was layer so much. To that I feel less informed. I did listen to a Tool and it did seem a little less layered that I recall in my other IEMs.
I think one thing that I might need to elaborate more on is the detail. The detail on the 3DTs is pretty good, based on my tastes, but it is not analytical. It doesn’t pick up those micro-details. What I’m basically aiming at is saying this is a FUN set. It’s not a detail monster, but it’s a great set that brings rumbling bass, engaging highs and a wide open sound stage for people who want to enjoy music.
today, I listened to QDC’s Dmagic. It is very different to the 3DT and the Dmagic is your detail monster. It gets all the little details, but is a lot less fun. I listened to it for about 5 minutes and I find the 3DT more complimentary (contrasting) to the other sets that I have.
For me, I like variety and will pick up sets just to listen to them for a while and just fold these sets into the rotation. I don’t know if this is going to be just another set for your collection, the flavour of the month or your daily driver for the next three years, so don’t take these words as an endorsement for any IEM, but if you have read something that makes you want to learn more about the set or know that this is not for you, then I’ve done some leg work for you and you win. I know these sets can be difficult to audition, but hopefully they will make their way out to you to try. If you’re interest in this set, I encourage you to let your ears decide with gear you own and music you like.
Best of luck to ya!
So I believe the instrument placement along the depth of the soundstage is a bit limited, but along the height and width it's superb?

I am thinking about going for it anyway. I have UM Mirage, and I'm smitten by it. Hence considering going for the 3DT also, I have faith in their tuning.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #459 of 553
So I believe the instrument placement along the depth of the soundstage is a bit limited, but along the height and width it's superb?

I am thinking about going for it anyway. I have UM Mirage, and I'm smitten by it. Hence considering going for the 3DT also, I have faith in their tuning.
I think the depth to the left and right sides are superb, but it’s the centre that didn’t make me feel like I was there when listening to Tool. Wandering by Yosi Horikawa threw sounds that seemed way out to the sides and deep to the front. It’s good in that regard. However, with Prison Sex by Tool, I didn’t get much layering between the vocals, guitars and drums. But it could also be the way the track was recorded.
Hope that give you more information.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #460 of 553
I think the depth to the left and right sides are superb, but it’s the centre that didn’t make me feel like I was there when listening to Tool. Wandering by Yosi Horikawa threw sounds that seemed way out to the sides and deep to the front. It’s good in that regard. However, with Prison Sex by Tool, I didn’t get much layering between the vocals, guitars and drums. But it could also be the way the track was recorded.
Hope that give you more information.
Thank you a lot for taking the time to question my queries...I am gonna go for it.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #461 of 553
Thank you a lot for taking the time to question my queries...I am gonna go for it.
Before you do, these comments reflect the HK version of the 3DT, not the international one. Perhaps @UniqueMelody can let us know if there are any tuning differences between the international and HK Special versions.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #462 of 553
Before you do, these comments reflect the HK version of the 3DT, not the international one. Perhaps @UniqueMelody can let us know if there are any tuning differences between the international and HK Special versions.
Would definitely like to know that. @UniqueMelody can you kindly confirm?

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #463 of 553
If you were saying the sky blue shell 3DT. It is the same as the international ocean&amber color 3DT in terms of sound. The only difference is the 2 pin connectors, one recessed, the other is not.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 29, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #464 of 553
Some previous releases that were not made available internationally:

UM Mark ii (12BA)

A024F310-AC56-40F2-86E8-A90880732ACF.jpeg

UM M16 (8BA) - hmm this looks like the Japanese UM Maverick ?
B46973E6-4E32-48F5-BB89-2A577E9F7AE7.jpeg

@UniqueMelody
just very curious about these. Any ideas which models they are based on?
I wouldn’t mind getting them from China if I could

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #465 of 553
Some previous releases that were not made available internationally:

UM Mark ii (12BA)

A024F310-AC56-40F2-86E8-A90880732ACF.jpeg

UM M16 (8BA) - hmm this looks like the Japanese UM Maverick ?
B46973E6-4E32-48F5-BB89-2A577E9F7AE7.jpeg

@UniqueMelody
just very curious about these. Any ideas which models they are based on?
I wouldn’t mind getting them from China if I could
Mark II is based on Mason v1. M16 is a based on Maverick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back