Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,381 of 1,469
Which one would be a better pairing for 3DT, DX300 (either AMP11 Mk2 or AMP12) or RS6, what do you think? Speaking of sound quality and signature, let alone footprint etc., and also considering that used DX300 is ~20% cheaper than RS6 now.

I'm stuck choosing between these two DAPs, becoming sick of dongles, while 3DT is still my main go-to IEM
IMHO both of these are overkill for the 3DT, especially if its your main iem.
Don’t get me wrong, i love my 3DTs for their timbre and engagement, but they don’t scale with better equipment to the extent I'd feel comfortable with the added expense.
(In my case this is from dongles S1 & Pee51) to CayinN3pro to ifi micro bl to WM1A to R2R2000)
I suspect that the R5 or the dx160 or the AK sr25 would be equally good under most circumstances with the 3DT, at half the cost of your two options.
If you’re thinking of buying higher level phones eventually than sure go your path, but under what you’ve outlined I’d set my sights lower.
I’d audition the two levels to see if you can rationalise the higher cost vs audible performance. Let us know the outcome…

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,382 of 1,469
Don’t get me wrong, i love my 3DTs for their timbre and engagement, but they don’t scale with better equipment to the extent I'd feel comfortable with the added expense.
(In my case this is from dongles S1 & Pee51) to CayinN3pro to ifi micro bl to WM1A to R2R2000)
I suspect that the R5 or the dx160 or the AK sr25 would be equally good under most circumstances with the 3DT, at half the cost of your two options.
If you’re thinking of buying higher level phones eventually than sure go your path, but under what you’ve outlined I’d set my sights lower.
I’d audition the two levels to see if you can rationalise the higher cost vs audible performance. Let us know the outcome…
While it probably makes sense not to overspend on a source for the 3DT, I would point out that it definitely does scale well with a more revealing DAC and more powerful amp, at least this is what I hear between my own SR25 vs the Schiit desktop gear.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,383 of 1,469
While it probably makes sense not to overspend on a source for the 3DT, I would point out that it definitely does scale well with a more revealing DAC and more powerful amp, at least this is what I hear between my own SR25 vs the Schiit desktop gear.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing...on my Shanling M8 and PWAudio 8 wire hybrid (Monile50s), the 3DT sounds like my LCD-2c, just not the resolution... But I get out of head 3d SS...I believe they do scale well...On the Questyle 12, they sounded magnificent. Does all that make sense? lol :smile_cat:

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,384 of 1,469
I have a number of more expensive IEMs / HPs, just preferring 3DT signature for a moment. Will definitely upgrade it some day to something like Isabellae or Volt or sth else, maybe even D9200 to listen at home, just don't want the DAP to become a limiting factor when it happens.

So the question actually is not "should I buy this grade DAP for 3DT" but "which of these two DAPs better complements 3DT sound signature I'll try to retain with my next IEMs/HPs".
For instance, I also have CA Atlas and Cascade though I don't listen to these anymore after buying 3DT.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,385 of 1,469
I have a number of more expensive IEMs / HPs, just preferring 3DT signature for a moment. Will definitely upgrade it some day to something like Isabellae or Volt or sth else, maybe even D9200 to listen at home, just don't want the DAP to become a limiting factor when it happens.

So the question actually is not "should I buy this grade DAP for 3DT" but "which of these two DAPs better complements 3DT sound signature I'll try to retain with my next IEMs/HPs".
For instance, I also have CA Atlas and Cascade though I don't listen to these anymore after buying 3DT.
Note to all. My comments were made in the context of the OP and the IEMs listed in his signature block. If, like Newymatt (and me) you also have a Z1R, or an Andromeda or a EE Valkryie, then the extra cost is worth it. My point was that for the user case listed - a $400 iem and a $1300 DAP - it made little sense. Scalability works for us because we have other more suitable (read expensive) transducers.

To the original question. Of the two choices, and for my music and my ears, the RS6 would be my preference - I have auditioned both extensively recently as I'm in the market for a new DAP. I think the warmth of the R2R balances out the relative neutrality of the 3DT. I do prefer the R2R sound overall so make of that what you will. To use an old analogy, the DX300 tells what's being played, the RS6 tells you why its being played. in other words one is good as technical reproduction, the other at conveying emotion. In another point, the Dx300, despite being slightly lighter (300 grams vs 315) , is more cumbersome as an everyday carry due to its size.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,386 of 1,469
Just received my 3DTs a few days ago

Reviewing after about 24 hours of burn in. I did hear some changes in this time and with others recommend good burn in with these drivers. I listened for this impression via iFi micro iDSD signature streaming Roon. My units came new, I am giving my impression using stock cables but have used large silicone tips that came with Ikko OH10 (not Final Audio E's) that are similar to SpinFit 100+s. Stock tips did not provide a good seal for me (but I have large ears/canals). It is vital to get a good seal to capture the full impact of bass on the 3Dt, otherwise you will not "get it". I think a large bore silicone that completely covers the ear canal did best for me, even better than Comply 500 foam tips. Once I got there with the tips, I found the FR to be MUCH to my liking (I had the “ohhh wowww’ moment). Bass rumble is impactful, as much as I'd want it quantity wise, and well-extended well into the sub-bass (Ludovici Einaudi almost attains divinity with these), mid-bass is fast and punchy with a pleasing transition to lower mids - no bleed that I could detect. Instruments in the mids and in particular vocals (both male and female) are forward but never shouty- crystal clear and smooth. Treble is similarly relaxed/smooth, never sibilant, though a bit rolled off I thought. Overall the sound is very coherent and organic across the tonality range. Imaging and layering is distinct although the space between voices and instruments is tight. Stage is correspondingly close though it does wrap around you with some sounds even projecting behind the head - like you are sitting right IN THE BAND. Attack is good on the front end but decay is a little less well-controlled, especially in the sub-bass. Instruments have great body, presence and note weight, though micro-detail retrieval is not 'what this IEM is all about' - what it is about is immersive, delicious mids and treble that soar above the impactful low end- very addictive. Once you get a good fit you will never want to take them off. Very thankful to Andrew at Musicteck for making these available at a great price and another smooth purchase experience.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,387 of 1,469

DAP- wise I am using with an R8, but I also just got Thieaudio Monarch Mk2, and also have a set of HIFIMAN Aryas so it works for all. I think the search for sonic perfection is like that for the perfect whiskey. Expense goes up exponentially with diminishing returns for the increase in quality- and then along comes a gem like the 3DT and brings the whole expense-for-added-quality thing into question, at least with respect to IEMs. In terms of a rig, I definitely can recommend setting up Roon at home with a Sonore MicroRendu or other inexpensive streamer, streaming into the IFi micro IDSD DAC/Amp, which is also transportable and does a great job for these IEMS, especially with Turbo ON (maybe not with Bass Boost for 3DT though)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #1,389 of 1,469
Received my 3DT, on both the right and left monitor I have these transparent areas that I can see straight through into the internal components. My understanding was the stabilized wood should be solid in build and appearance.

I'd appreciate it if other users could confirm whether this is normal or some kind of defect in manufacturing, I'm unsure, so would be good to see if others observe this too.

Attachments

• um_3dt_left.JPG
    um_3dt_left.JPG
    774.5 KB · Views: 0
  • um_3dt_right.JPG
    um_3dt_right.JPG
    866.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,390 of 1,469
Received my 3DT, on both the right and left monitor I have these transparent areas that I can see straight through into the internal components. My understanding was the stabilized wood should be solid in build and appearance.

I'd appreciate it if other users could confirm whether this is normal or some kind of defect in manufacturing, I'm unsure, so would be good to see if others observe this too.
From my understanding “stabelized wood” means a mixture of resin (blue) and wood (brown). So I think it is normal that some of the resin parts are slightly transparent. Have seen that with UM higher end models (Mason Fabled), too! Guess it’s just a question of how the coloration has spread during the hardening process of the originally transparent resin.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,391 of 1,469
From my understanding “stabelized wood” means a mixture of resin (blue) and wood (brown). So I think it is normal that some of the resin parts are slightly transparent. Have seen that with UM higher end models (Mason Fabled), too! Guess it’s just a question of how the coloration has spread during the hardening process of the originally transparent resin.
I can see the transparency in the opposite direction. The screens have come out of my units which I is no problem, but now when I pick them up, I can see the light shine into the cavity from the outside..so it's like Hanesu is saying, it's just the way the pigment distributed through the resin and cured.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,392 of 1,469
Thank you, I understand and agree with your explanation for the transparency, i.e. the hardening process.

My confusion stems from the description and images on the official UM website (https://www.uniquemelody.org/products/um-3d-terminator-3dt). If you look at the images attached they show a solid non-transparent stabilized wood shell.

So it appears that there are two versions of the 3DT, one made entirely from stabilized wood and the second from stabilized wood and resin (blue). The question then comes to mind is are there any acoustic variances between the two models?

Attachments

• DSC_5328_480x480.jpg
    DSC_5328_480x480.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_5412_480x480.jpg
    DSC_5412_480x480.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,394 of 1,469
3dt with hakugei cable 4.4mm. fantastic combo with cayin ru6. Really awesome!
PXL_20220128_105140714.jpg

Feb 1, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,395 of 1,469
Thank you, I understand and agree with your explanation for the transparency, i.e. the hardening process.

My confusion stems from the description and images on the official UM website (https://www.uniquemelody.org/products/um-3d-terminator-3dt). If you look at the images attached they show a solid non-transparent stabilized wood shell.

So it appears that there are two versions of the 3DT, one made entirely from stabilized wood and the second from stabilized wood and resin (blue). The question then comes to mind is are there any acoustic variances between the two models?
There are two versions, the one that is distributed in the USA and Europe, which is the one you have, and the special HK edition, which is the green one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back