Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
May 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,066 of 1,469
Well its asking me $60 for DHL shipping only to here.
Not worth it.
Shipping is double the cost of the cable. :frowning2:
I’ve never chosen DHL shipping for a cable. I always go with the free AliExpress shipping.

May 19, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,068 of 1,469
I will second this. With the right source and a little bit of power the technicalities and timbre are on par with higher priced IEMs. It is very source +/- amp dependent though, the DDs certainly need alot of mW to work to their full potential.

I would also add, for transparency, that I use the filter mod on my set as I found the upper mids a bit shouty - apart from that, I absolutely love my 3DT.
What's this filter mod I keep hearing about? Was it posted in this forum? If so I must have missed it.

May 20, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #1,070 of 1,469
Has anyone else tried the RHA dual density tips for the 3DT? I just tried them a few days ago and they're my favorite yet. It would be interesting to see the graphs in the treble region with these tips vs. stock, since as others reported the treble response can vary greatly with different tips on this IEM.
Could you please provide a link to these tips?

May 20, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #1,071 of 1,469
May 20, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,072 of 1,469
As much as the idea of punching over respective price range is widely circulating in this hobby, I am yet to come across a iem which actually does that. The price differences are there for a reason.
I mean no disrespect but I don't agree with that at all. I would say that _in general_ as you spend more you tend to get better sounding IEMs. But there are definitely ones that sound much worse than they should or, conversely, much better than they should.

One example would be the KZ DQ6. I paid $30 for it (although you can get it cheaper than that on Aliexpress) and it sounds better to me than many IEMs I've heard or own that cost more. And I'm no KZ fanboy. I've never been that attracted to their IEMs and I've only owned a few. The DQ6 simply sounds excellent, that's the long and short of it. I do have a micopore tape mod on it, but I mod a lot of my IEMs, including the 3DT.

Anyway, I agree that more expensive gear tends to sound better, it just isn't completely consistent. There are exceptions, imo.

May 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,073 of 1,469
I mean no disrespect but I don't agree with that at all. I would say that _in general_ as you spend more you tend to get better sounding IEMs. But there are definitely ones that sound much worse than they should or, conversely, much better than they should.

One example would be the KZ DQ6. I paid $30 for it (although you can get it cheaper than that on Aliexpress) and it sounds better to me than many IEMs I've heard or own that cost more. And I'm no KZ fanboy. I've never been that attracted to their IEMs and I've only owned a few. The DQ6 simply sounds excellent, that's the long and short of it. I do have a micopore tape mod on it, but I mod a lot of my IEMs, including the 3DT.

Anyway, I agree that more expensive gear tends to sound better, it just isn't completely consistent. There are exceptions, imo.
I agree on the inconsistency. Moondrop Blessing2 was one such. Couldn't withstand it for long. I would pick 3DT or A3H+ over it in a heartbeat. B2 was one that sounded much worse than they should, and A3H+ is the one that sounds much better than it should. However, as awesome as it is, it still can't cross the gap between it and 3DT, and 3DT sounds simply better, as it should given the price difference.

I sincerely believed in the hype of bl-03 and bought one for myself, but was sorely disappointed.

May 20, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,074 of 1,469
@UniqueMelody hasn’t mentioned anything about the 2HT yet. Hopefully it will be available globally and not just in the Asian market.

In the meantime, I’ve finally found a cable that is able to fit into the 3DT sockets (not a fan of the stock cable) the IMR OFC cable. Not only does it pair well & brings a nice organic tone to the 3DT, but the color matches quite well.

How interesting, I was using that cable on my 3DT as well and I felt it was a good pairing.

May 20, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #1,075 of 1,469
I agree on the inconsistency. Moondrop Blessing2 was one such. Couldn't withstand it for long. I would pick 3DT or A3H+ over it in a heartbeat. B2 was one that sounded much worse than they should, and A3H+ is the one that sounds much better than it should. However, as awesome as it is, it still can't cross the gap between it and 3DT, and 3DT sounds simply better, as it should given the price difference.

I sincerely believed in the hype of bl-03 and bought one for myself, but was sorely disappointed.
Oh ok, I see that we don't really disagree.

May 20, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #1,076 of 1,469
There's no other option.
There's only DHL for me.
That stinks. Yeah, definitely NOT worth buying the cable if that’s the only shipping option. Besides, the TA cable is excellent on the 3DT.

Clearly you really like the triple-DD sound signature, as much as I do. It just “clicks” perfectly with me.

May 20, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,077 of 1,469
How interesting, I was using that cable on my 3DT as well and I felt it was a good pairing.
I did also. Good fit and pairing. However Penon Fiery cable makes 3DT
Come alive... The 839 OSG Lemon cable which is twice the price did not do that effectively even though it is drop dead gorgeous and has gold plating with copper and silver.
Current set up: R2R 2000 DAP feeding
OPPO HA2 amp to 3DT with Fiery cable and Aelastic tips. Just wonderful!! amping DAP output does magical things to 3DT

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,078 of 1,469
That stinks. Yeah, definitely NOT worth buying the cable if that’s the only shipping option. Besides, the TA cable is excellent on the 3DT.

Clearly you really like the triple-DD sound signature, as much as I do. It just “clicks” perfectly with me.
You're right, I feel like it is the best driver configuration overall for my tastes. I always loved the more natural reproduction dynamic drivers tend to offer, but lower end dynamic drivers were usually lacking in technicalities according to my preferences. And even the best dynamic drivers I've heard, while they actually have quite surprisingly good technicalities, there's always this slightly strained aspect to them. As if the frequencies across different parts of the range were subtly interfering with each other. I don't really know that is what it is, but there's just this effortless sense I get from good multi-driver IEMs that single DD IEMs don't have. At least not the ones I've heard so far.

These two triple dynamic driver IEMs (the 3DT and DQ6) have the best of both worlds to my ears. It makes me want to try the QDC Dmagic. And it also makes me excited for future triple dynamic driver earphones that will almost surely come along.

May 21, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #1,079 of 1,469
There's also this dynamism the 3DT and DQS have that is common to both of them but not present the same way in other IEMs I've heard. Even single DD IEMs that are tuned fairly similarly, such as the Tin HiFi T4 and NF Audio NM2+, don't have it to the same degree.

Maybe I shouldn't say it is the ideal configuration for me, because there are still so many IEMs I haven't heard, but there's definitely something special about it that really resonates with me.

I also wonder if quad-dynamic driver earphones or configurations with even more than that would bring benefits. I don't know how feasible that would be, but it will be interesting to see if it ever happens.

May 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,080 of 1,469
Current set up: R2R 2000 DAP feeding
OPPO HA2 amp to 3DT with Fiery cable and Aelastic tips. Just wonderful!! amping DAP output does magical things to 3DT
TBH this makes no sense to me.
I own both products and the power output of the R2R2000 is comfortably more than that of the Oppo (320mw unbalanced vs 220 unbalanced at 32 ohms), not to mention the Oppo’s sabre delta/sigma chip is just a completely different (and poorer imo) topology to the R2R2000’s Burr-Brown r2r. Treatng the R2R2000 as a transport to a lesser device seems a bit off.
I don’t doubt that you enjoy the soundI, i’m just surprised that it ‘works’…’m getting the UM3DT on Monday and will try your set-up for myself. As my tag says, i need to try before i opine!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back