Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #841 of 1,469
I tried some tips, and can share with you my thoughts. I never used stock cable and tips.

• Comply Comfort tsx-500 size M: good seal, sound gets darker, but not too dark, btw I don't use them anymore because they are difficult to clean;
  • Spinfit CP155 size L: too big, nozzle diameter is 5.5 mm and they also go too deep into my ear canals; Sound is more airy and with less bass than other tips I tried;
  • Spinfit CP100 size M: nozzle diameter is 4 mm, a bit too small, and also they haven't enough seal (I bought wrong size, my bad); Bass is better than CP155 and they sound overall balanced;
  • Spinfit CP145 size L: the best of the Spinfit tips, nozzle diameter is 4.5 mm, that is perfect to me. Sound is airy and I feel bigger soundstage but not enough punch in the bass region;
  • JVC Spiral Dots size ML: till now maybe the best sound imo, but I struggle to insert the right earpiece in cause of very very piercing driver flex that pinches my eardrum. I tried to put it inside while music is playing and it is better, but I always afraid that my eardrum hurts and I don't use anymore;
  • KZ starline, size M: they are very similar to Spiral Dots, same problem when I insert the right earphone. I think my ear is the problem;
  • Blon B01 eartips size L: not enough seal;
  • Azla Sedna Xelastec: I ordered them, I will let you know.
I use sednaearfit light short. Fits perfet for me, but it took about a week's use to get used to them.

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #842 of 1,469
UM 3DT arrived! That was fast!
First impressions are promising. I agree, these are fast, have great clarity, detail and staging.
I really like the bass tuning and quality as well. Will likely apply some damping later on as the upper mids indeed seem a little hot.
Love the design and case as well. Happy so far...

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #843 of 1,469
I like my 3DT with Spiral Dots. It is definitely not a really bassy IEM, but it’s not anemic either. The bass does take a bit of a back seat to the upper mid and treble spikes though. I tamed the spikes on mine a little with a partial Moondrop filter.
I'm curious to try this, which Moondrop filters did you use? Like the ones for KXXS/Starfield?

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #844 of 1,469
While it is hard to say 3DT is difficult to drive, it requires some additional volume increase to hear their full potential. At lower volume, it is a bit hard to appreciate clarity, crisp high and detail retrieval. I have seen some polarizing reviews and impressions for these IEM. I think this IEM needs some research in terms of tip rolling, cable and source matching to bring out the real sound signature.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #845 of 1,469
I'm curious to try this, which Moondrop filters did you use? Like the ones for KXXS/Starfield?
Yes. The larger Moondrop filters for the Starfield/KXXS fit the 3DT nozzle perfectly.

I did cut a portion of the filters off, primarily to decrease the damping effect a little, but it also serves to allow better airflow for the bass, not that it sounded boomy even with the full filters in place.

CC276BE3-817C-4E1D-A912-5A12F87C9CD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #846 of 1,469
I am seriously loving these UM 3DT IEMs. I listen to a lot of music on a daily basis and so I switch IEMs or headphones 2-3 times per day to get different flavors. What that does is helps me to understand which monitors I like most because at any moment I just pick the one that I feel most like listening to. The 3DT gets a lot of ear time with me in a collection that include Odin, Monarch, MEST and Z1R. What does it is the timbre of the mids for voices and instruments and coherence of the sound top to bottom. NO BA timbre! Whenever I put them on, my mind locks right onto that sound.

Well, I have been doing a bunch of cable rolling with interesting results. I paired them with a mini-MEST balanced cable and that was a big improvement in sound mostly improving the sound stage and transparency. Then, I paired it with my Stormbreaker cable from my Odin since I have it with me. This did not improve the sound much like it did for the Monarchs. I just bought a PWA no 5. I look forward to that pairing once I get it. I expect good results. But, the most surprising pairing that I absolutely love is with my Fiio UTWS3.

I had been using the UTWS3 with my Blessing 2 Dusks, but I recently switched back to wired because the sound quality was so much better and worth the hassle of the cable. But, the UTWS3 and 3DT are perfectly matched to my ear. I think it's because the overall sound signature with the great timbre is preserved over this bluetooth device so my mind still can lock into that sound. And, it's so important to me that I just overlook any other faults with the bluetooth connection. Normally, over bluetooth, the sound is hallow and less resolving. It actually results in a larger sound stage, but the hallowness tends to ruin it. But, with the 3DT, the timbre shines through and is actually enhanced with the larger sound stage. There is no hallowness to my ear. So, I am going to use this pairing of Fiio UTWS3 + 3DT for my daily walks. That's about 2 hours of listening time right there. No wires and I can accept calls.

Fiio UTWS3 + UM 3DT. Perfect together.

P.S. For kicks, I paired the EE Odin to the UTWS3 and it sounded terrible. Unlistenable. I didn't analyze exactly why, but it had huge coherence issues.

Attachments

• UTWS3 and 3DT.jpg
    UTWS3 and 3DT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #847 of 1,469
I posted brief impressions of my take on the 3DT vs the OG MEST on the 'IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution' thread.

“The 3DT has a little more bass than the OG MEST, with a more even sub bass to mid bass distribution (OG MEST seems more sub bass biased to me), but it is FAR from being a bass head IEM. If one were a bass head, one would be disappointed in the 3DT. It has a very fast, agile, and textured bass, similar to the MEST’s. There is adequate bass on the 3DT, but not a ton. It is certainly also not neutral though. I actually boost the sub bass a little on my 3DT, since the upper mids and lower treble are more boosted relative to the bass. The 3DT, like the DQ6, is a unique experience. It is not like the MEST, or any other IEM that I’ve heard (except the DQ6). No other driver make-up has yielded similar results for me. Timbral accuracy is amazing. Instrument separation and imaging are also very well done, though it’s not as holographic as the MEST is. Clarity and upper midrange/lower treble detail is off the charts. I know many may disagree with me on this point, but I have found the 3DT to be the overall most detailed IEM I’ve heard thus far, and that is with extra damping in the form of a Moondrop filter.

For bass, I find the speed, transient attack, decay, texture, and detail to be roughly similar between the OG MEST and 3DT, both being superb. If one likes really extended treble air, with very shimmery cymbals, go for the MEST. The 3DT has adequately extended treble for me, but it is not as prominently extended as on the OG MEST. I actually use EQ to roll off the treble a little on the OG MEST, to make cymbals (especially hi-hat and ride) more realistic sounding, and less splashy. If you like a more prominent upper midrange, with more “bite” to female vocals and guitars, the 3DT tuning is more ideal. If you like more treble detail than perhaps you’ve ever heard, go for the OG MEST. Both are extraordinary with all metal genres.

One thing to reiterate is that the tri-DD IEM is a unique sounding IEM, and there are some people who don’t really perceive it in a delightful manner. My recommendation would be to get the very inexpensive KZ DQ6 first, and if you really like the overall sonic qualities, then go for the 3DT. The 3DT is better in every regard IMO, except for sheer bass quantity, which the DQ6 has more of. I like the DQ6 with metal as well, but the DQ6 tuning is more V-shaped than the 3DT.”

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #848 of 1,469
I posted brief impressions of my take on the 3DT vs the OG MEST on the 'IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution' thread.

“The 3DT has a little more bass than the OG MEST, with a more even sub bass to mid bass distribution (OG MEST seems more sub bass biased to me), but it is FAR from being a bass head IEM. If one were a bass head, one would be disappointed in the 3DT. It has a very fast, agile, and textured bass, similar to the MEST’s. There is adequate bass on the 3DT, but not a ton. It is certainly also not neutral though. I actually boost the sub bass a little on my 3DT, since the upper mids and lower treble are more boosted relative to the bass. The 3DT, like the DQ6, is a unique experience. It is not like the MEST, or any other IEM that I’ve heard (except the DQ6). No other driver make-up has yielded similar results for me. Timbral accuracy is amazing. Instrument separation and imaging are also very well done, though it’s not as holographic as the MEST is. Clarity and upper midrange/lower treble detail is off the charts. I know many may disagree with me on this point, but I have found the 3DT to be the overall most detailed IEM I’ve heard thus far, and that is with extra damping in the form of a Moondrop filter.

For bass, I find the speed, transient attack, decay, texture, and detail to be roughly similar between the OG MEST and 3DT, both being superb. If one likes really extended treble air, with very shimmery cymbals, go for the MEST. The 3DT has adequately extended treble for me, but it is not as prominently extended as on the OG MEST. I actually use EQ to roll off the treble a little on the OG MEST, to make cymbals (especially hi-hat and ride) more realistic sounding, and less splashy. If you like a more prominent upper midrange, with more “bite” to female vocals and guitars, the 3DT tuning is more ideal. If you like more treble detail than perhaps you’ve ever heard, go for the OG MEST. Both are extraordinary with all metal genres.

One thing to reiterate is that the tri-DD IEM is a unique sounding IEM, and there are some people who don’t really perceive it in a delightful manner. My recommendation would be to get the very inexpensive KZ DQ6 first, and if you really like the overall sonic qualities, then go for the 3DT. The 3DT is better in every regard IMO, except for sheer bass quantity, which the DQ6 has more of. I like the DQ6 with metal as well, but the DQ6 tuning is more V-shaped than the 3DT.”
Great review. I hear things mostly the way you do. It seems you are much more treble sensitive than I am. My guess is it's because I'm probably older than you are.

I completely agree that it has a unique sound that is very pleasant. The timbral accuracy is what brings me back to this monitor.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #849 of 1,469
Went ahead with the Micropore Mod and took some measurements with different tips.
Quite astounding how different the tips measure in the treble region.
UM 3DT 90% Micropore Mod.jpg
Used the method to cut a MP tape disk with a belt hole puncher. Easy, clean and durable mod.

UM 3DT Frequency Response 90% Micropore.png
Simple measurements with Dayton microphone and 3D printed coupler tube.
Orange/green = Final Audio Type E size S
Dark blue = original tip S
Light blue = Spiral Dots S (the older, harder rubber version)

For now using the original tips

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #851 of 1,469
Hi, any one experiencing high pitch sound when 3DT inserted?
it sounds like .. piiiiing or ziiiing then dissapear..
air pressure release? driver flex? @UniqueMelody
This sounds like driver flex.
Soft, flexible silicone tips are almost unusable for me for that reason.
With the included stock tips I can prevent it quite easily by inserting them slowly with some wiggling and optionally moving my jaw.
Pulling your ears back while inserting them can also help.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #852 of 1,469
This sounds like driver flex.
Soft, flexible silicone tips are almost unusable for me for that reason.
With the included stock tips I can prevent it quite easily by inserting them slowly with some wiggling and optionally moving my jaw.
Pulling your ears back while inserting them can also help.
does the driver flex will affect the sound quality in long term usage, let say 2 years? iam using Ortofon and Xelastec at the moment..

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #853 of 1,469
Hi, any one experiencing high pitch sound when 3DT inserted?
it sounds like .. piiiiing or ziiiing then dissapear..
air pressure release? driver flex? @UniqueMelody

It is driver flex, I spoke with @MusicTeck and they confirm me that. I experience it only on right side and only with JVC Spiral Dots. I have no issues with Spinfit CP145 and with foam tips.
They also suggested me to use a smaller size and I can confirm that driver flex disappeared.
Maybe is my right ear shape that is different from the left one, because with many DD IEMs I experienced driver flex only on the right side.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #854 of 1,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back