Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #766 of 1,469
Closing in on 100 hours and I can truly say the 3DT is in my top 5 as one of the best value earphones I own (punching quite a bit above its price), and one of the best all-dynamic drivers earphones I've ever heard. I would also have to add that it's the best multi-dynamic driver earphone I ever heard. It's not just great instrument separation and digging out the micro-details, but the layering of the sound and the positioning of the instruments are amazing!
I think of it as an 'etched' soundstage, where everything (instrument, vocal, etc.) is in its own 'space', yet with defined borders. Add in musicality, texture and detail. Lovely. Happy your enjoying it! I let one of my students demo my rig today, he is into music and a musician, but not an audiophile, and he was blown away! The synergy between my M8, the 3DT and the PWAudio 1% gold cable is beautiful!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #767 of 1,469
Mar 23, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #768 of 1,469
Which ear tips do you use? Thanks.
Kal El, I found these ear tips that look like the ones that come with the Sony Z5, but they aren't. The middle stock is really firm and the body is kind of wide, which gives me a great seal. The opening is not too narrow or wide, but really deepens the bass and expands the soundstage. Unfortunately, I don't know from which original earphone I pulled it from. On a side note, I just ordered some Final Audio ear tips that I hope gives me the same expansion of sound. I'll let you know the model number and if these tips are good once I receive them.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #769 of 1,469
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #770 of 1,469
Currently paired the 3DT with Sedna Earfit Light M. Stage improved even more!

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #771 of 1,469
For those that are interested; Just got a note that XINHS is putting the 8 Core Graphene Cable on Sale for $58 for the AliExpress Event on March 29. It's a great cable and pairs exceptionally well with my EDP and the UM 3DT. It brings a bit more weight to the bottom end and provides nice airiness and clarity up top.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #772 of 1,469
My LL Final Audio Type E ear tips came in today. The 3DT (and Fiio FD5) love them! Great for the bottom end with added clarity on vocals. The soundstage is still nice and wide with great instrument separation, but you are brought closer to the stage. I think I have found my ear tips for this beautiful-sounding earphone!

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #773 of 1,469
My LL Final Audio Type E ear tips came in today. The 3DT (and Fiio FD5) love them! Great for the bottom end with added clarity on vocals. The soundstage is still nice and wide with great instrument separation, but you are brought closer to the stage. I think I have found my ear tips for this beautiful-sounding earphone!
How do you find the 3DT in comparison to FD5?

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #774 of 1,469
How is the driver flex with those tips? I find the seal of the JVC Spiral Dots very good but the right earphone has a very piercing driver flex when I insert it.
I've ordered the Spinfit CP145-L because my 155-L have not good seal (bass disappear) and the CP100 are M size (wrong size purchased) se they are too small for my ears.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #775 of 1,469
How is the driver flex with those tips? I find the seal of the JVC Spiral Dots very good but the right earphone has a very piercing driver flex when I insert it.
I've ordered the Spinfit CP145-L because my 155-L have not good seal (bass disappear) and the CP100 are M size (wrong size purchased) se they are too small for my ears.
Which spiral dots you have? M size? My M tips breaks the seal when I lie down

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #776 of 1,469
Which spiral dots you have? M size? My M tips breaks the seal when I lie down

I use L size, they have good seal also when I lay down on my couch, but for experience they are not very good on movement, if you take a walk, for example, they could slip out.
I use my 3DT only at home.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #777 of 1,469
So it's been about 3 weeks I think since I first heard the 3DT and I've gone through a few phases with the it.
I've had the Vision Ears Elysium since early January and though it was a massive stretch financially I don't ever regret it as the quality of the DD mids has been a revolution to what I now prefer in terms of tone and timbre in an iem.
When I first heard the 3DT, the timbre was reminiscent of that signature in the Elysium and for the level of iem it is it was admirably close. I was immediately taken by the 3DT. I was comparing it to the Fiio FH3 and it's much more natural sounding in timbre and the soundstage and decay of notes was clearly a large step up for my tastes and preferences. People say the FH3 was a great bass iem (for the price) but I never heard it so the bass on the 3DT was comparable... until i tried the FH3 on the M8.. there's the bass. Suddenly I was finding the 3DT bass light and this was getting to the second phase of my relationship where I was a little disappointed by what seemed to be everything great except the bass. Perhaps it was the pairing with the Qudelix 5k and my iphone as that also didn't seem to show the FH3 bass.. but seeing as this was to be where this iem was to fit into my rotation, I was having a little more trouble loving it..
In the midst of all this I met up with @Rockwell75 and was graciously loaned other iems by @tgx78 so in rapid succession I demoed the Penon Volt, 3DT, Dunu Zen, Softears RSV, Dunu SA6, Sony ier-Z1R and M9 and 64Audio Nio... and each evening I would retire with my reference, the Elysium. I got a bit burned out comparing everything across the board not taking into account price... and the 3dt started to fall short. I found them bass light and a bit piercing in the upper mids... I took @tgx78 's advice on the filters and installed them.. At first that was too blunting so I poked a few holes in them.. It seemed better but it's not an easy thing to a/b so I just left it at that.

But things have now calmed down and recently I relaxed and I used the 3DT in the role I had planned for it, working in the basement listening to music and I would get moments of noticing a nice tone and ring of a piano, a vocal that had a very lifelike quality. The beauty of the mids has come back and even though the music was more or less backgound, little moments would break into my attention with a really nice timbre and I would just enjoy. And in these calmer moments I find the bass to be quite fine and somewhat source dependent. I do find the bass is a bit light sometimes but compared to what? These are not a V-shaped iem and these days with the filter mod I find them very well balanced and vocals and the mids in general are just the perfect timbre and tone. The treble is well extended and provides enough overtones to give vocals a real sense of presence with no artificiality.. For me, these are a very calm iem that reveals it's strengths slowly and I find myself really looking forward to listening with them. I have gone through my "dark night" with the 3DT and have come through on the other side into the wonderful sunlight.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #778 of 1,469
So it's been about 3 weeks I think since I first heard the 3DT and I've gone through a few phases with the it.
I've had the Vision Ears Elysium since early January and though it was a massive stretch financially I don't regret it as the quality of the DD mids has been a revolution to what I now prefer in terms of tone and timbre in an iem.
When I first heard the 3DT, the timbre was reminiscent of that signature in the Elysium and for the level of iem it is it was admirably close. I was immediately taken by the 3DT. I was comparing it to the Fiio FH3 and it's much more natural sounding in timbre and the soundstage and decay of notes was clearly a large step up for my tastes and preferences. People say the FH3 was a great bass iem (for the price) but I never heard it so the bass on the 3DT was comparable... until i tried the FH3 on the M8.. there's the bass. Suddenly I was finding the 3DT bass light and this was getting to the second phase of my relationship where I was a little disappointed by what seemed to be everything great except the bass. Perhaps it was the pairing with the Qudelix 5k and my iphone as that also didn't seem to show the FH3 bass.. but seeing as this was to be where this iem was to fit into my rotation, I was having a little more trouble loving it..
In the midst of all this I met up with @Rockwell75 and was graciously loaned other iems by @tgx78 so in rapid succession I demoed the Penon Volt, 3DT, Dunu Zen, Softears RSV, Dunu SA6 and 64Audio Nio... and each evening I would retire with my reference, the Elysium. I got a bit burned out comparing everything across the board not taking into account price... and the 3dt started to fall short. I found them bass light and a bit piercing in the upper mids... I took @tgx78 's advice on the filters and installed them.. At first that was too blunting so I poked a few holes in them.. It seemed better but it's not an easy thing to a/b so I just left it at that.

But things have now calmed down and recently I relaxed and I used the 3DT in the role I had planned for it, working in the basement listening to music and I would get moments of noticing a nice tone and ring of a piano, a vocal that had a very lifelike quality. The beauty of the mids has come back and even though the music was more or less backgound, little moments would break into my attention with a really nice timbre and I would just enjoy. And in these calmer moments I find the bass to be quite fine and somewhat source dependent. I do find the bass is a bit light sometimes but compared to what? These are not a V-shaped iem and these days with the filter mod I find them very well balanced and vocals and the mids in general are just the perfect timbre and tone. The treble is well extended and provides enough overtones to give vocals a real sense of presence with no artificiality.. For me, these are a very calm iem that reveals it's strengths slowly and I find myself really looking forward to listening with them. I have gone through my "dark night" with the 3DT and have come through on the other side into the wonderful sunlight.
I gotta admit, I’m quite jealous of all of ya’ll Vancouverites right now.

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #779 of 1,469
I’m compelled to update my post as I just received the ZX507 and hadn’t had a chance to listen with it until today and boy there really must be something about the Qudelix or my phone or something in that chain because there is no lack of bass with the 3DT and the Sony..
Listening to “Sunson” on Tripping with Nils Frahm and the bass is great.

When the bass comes in at 0:51 on Olafur Arnold’s “Loom” it’s not lacking at all. Nice and extended with good rumble.

I wonder if leaving these running on the tuner for the last 48 hours, bringing my total up over 100hours as some have mentioned has matured the sound. It’s all sounding better than ever.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #780 of 1,469
I've had the Vision Ears Elysium since early January and though it was a massive stretch financially I don't ever regret it as the quality of the DD mids has been a revolution to what I now prefer in terms of tone and timbre in an iem.
In the midst of all this I met up with @Rockwell75 and was graciously loaned other iems by @tgx78 so in rapid succession I demoed the Penon Volt, 3DT, Dunu Zen, Softears RSV, Dunu SA6, Sony ier-Z1R and M9 and 64Audio Nio... and each evening I would retire with my reference, the Elysium. I got a bit burned out comparing everything across the board not taking into account price... and the 3dt started to fall short. I found them bass light and a bit piercing in the upper mids... I took @tgx78 's advice on the filters and installed them.. At first that was too blunting so I poked a few holes in them.. It seemed better but it's not an easy thing to a/b so I just left it at that.

I just got the 3DT yesterday. I completely agree with your take on "tone and timbre" of an IEM. For these IEMs, it is their signature to me.

I am in the first phase. I love the bass on the 3DT. My only problem with it is the rolled off treble. Yesterday, I spent most of the day A/B testing the L&P W2 DAC/Amp which pairs brilliantly with the 3DT. But, my reference IEM was the EE Odins. Once I switched to the 3DT, the glaring hole was in the treble response. But, what I did hear was something I really liked and still like now which is the tone and timbre of the 3DT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back