Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #736 of 1,469
UM 3DT just arrived to my home today. I wanto thank @MusicTeck for the fastest shipping from USA to Italy I've ever experienced.

I bought them with the new Hiby R5 Saber, and first impressions are very very good.
Zero driver flex with Comply Comfort 500. A bit of driver flex on the right side with JVC Spiral Dots.

After 2 hours of Spiral Dots, I've just swap them with Comply and they seem to sound fuller and with more energetic bass.

I will leave a feedback after at least 100 hours.
I have to agree with you. I have been listening to these non-stop for a few weeks now and have been thoroughly testing quite a few different tips. So far, the Comply Comfort 500 is my favorite. There are a couple others that work and seal for me but the Complys seem to give me the best isolation for both ears and the most enjoyable tonal profile. I normally hate foam ear tips but I have to make an exception for them with the 3DT.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #737 of 1,469
I have to agree with you. I have been listening to these non-stop for a few weeks now and have been thoroughly testing quite a few different tips. So far, the Comply Comfort 500 is my favorite. There are a couple others that work and seal for me but the Complys seem to give me the best isolation for both ears and the most enjoyable tonal profile. I normally hate foam ear tips but I have to make an exception for them with the 3DT.
Me too, I normally prefer to avoid foam tips, but with other tips I struggle to find the same seal on both sides. For example, with Spinfit and Spiral Dots I don't have enough seal on the right ear, while on the left is perfect.

I know I have to wait some more hours to share a feedback, but I can say that they are more lively than Shuoer EJ07 that are more than twice the price, and this is what I was looking.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #738 of 1,469
Me too, I normally prefer to avoid foam tips, but with other tips I struggle to find the same seal on both sides. For example, with Spinfit and Spiral Dots I don't have enough seal on the right ear, while on the left is perfect.

I know I have to wait some more hours to share a feedback, but I can say that they are more lively than Shuoer EJ07 that are more than twice the price, and this is what I was looking.
The 3DT really is exceptional sounding to me, regardless of price. They also happen to look exceptionally beautiful, IMHO.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #739 of 1,469
Me either. I rarely do initially. Sometimes I go back and use the stock supplies later. It ends up being much more hygienic should I have to return/exchange or even sell it.
Me too! I never use stock cable and tips. This time I plug in the Fearless upgrade 4.4mm 7N 8 core cable and I am afraid I will not be abe to disconnect it because it has been so freaking hard to connect it to the IEMs. If I try right now to disconnect one of both side it feels like glued with superglue. I was curious to try the stock cable, but I'm not sure now, I don't want to ruin or break something.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #740 of 1,469
Me too! I never use stock cable and tips. This time I plug in the Fearless upgrade 4.4mm 7N 8 core cable and I am afraid I will not be abe to disconnect it because it has been so freaking hard to connect it to the IEMs. If I try right now to disconnect one of both side it feels like glued with superglue. I was curious to try the stock cable, but I'm not sure now, I don't want to ruin or break something.
There are some cables that do have a VERY tight fit with the 3DT. On a couple of them, I can’t get the plug to touch the IEM shell. To remove them when they are very tight, rather than just pulling the plug with one hand, while holding the IEM in the other, I just slowly pinch the plug with my thumb and index finger, with a rolling motion. With just those 2 fingers, I pull the plug straight out while pushing against the shell.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #741 of 1,469
I'm on the 3DT hype train now too, and I do think they're very good, and a whole lot of fun. I sometimes wish the lower treble was a bit less intense, so I may try to do one of the filter mods that has been mentioned in the thread. And I also was flabbergasted at how difficult it was to swap out the cable, both in terms of removing the stock cable (which is utter garbage in terms of feel/ergonomics) and also for putting on a replacement cable. I've never had a 2-pin IEM that was difficult to do a cable swap, but this one sure made me nervous that I was going to break something. I tried putting the Tanchim Oxygen upgrade cable on this set, but I was pretty sure I was going to snap the pins, in the end I got a cheap KBear pure copper cable working fine, but there is still a small section of the pins visible outside of the shell.

Another oddity is that I can't use any silicone tips with the 3DT, it causes such an absurd vacuum seal that the sound is all messed up. Thankfully though foam tips are working beautifully in terms of comfort and sound.

In any event, I am loving the sound stage and separation, the natural sound of the all DD setup, and the fun tuning. The shells also look really cool, neat design.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #742 of 1,469
Could you kindly share your thoughts on 3DT vs Xelento?

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #743 of 1,469
I never use foam tips, but resorted to them after experiencing sharp driver flex on the 3DT; so much that it dampened the drivers and affected their sound. After switching to the foams I no longer experience any driver flex and the 3DT is sounding more like what I would expect from an IEM with three DDs. The low end is a little fuller and the highs are a little more tamed. I prefer the isolation of silicone tips, but since I’m not commuting & working from home this isn’t an issue. I might try foam tips on some of my other IEMs.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #744 of 1,469
For my experience Spinfit 145 and 155 do not cause driver flex and vacumm effect (Spiral Dots do it a lot).

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #745 of 1,469
Could you kindly share your thoughts on 3DT vs Xelento?
I like the Xelento’s size and fit better than the 3DT but the overall tonality is completely different. For me, the Xelento is very bass heavy with a little too much exaggeration in the low mids to the point that the bass can sometimes overpower things a bit depending upon the mix. I do like it at times though and still own it. I think the 3DT has quite a bit more highs and upper mids as well as less of a low mid boost. It is a very fun sound signature and nowhere near neutral in my opinion. Its overall tonality reminds me of taking a flat signature and throwing a ‘rock’ EQ preset setting on it. There is plenty of sub bass but the bass doesn’t overpower everything since the low-mids have been tamed a bit. Some people experience a little fatigue due to the slight upper mid/low high frequency boost but I like it. Overall it is a much much brighter sound signature to the Xelento. Personally, I prefer the 3DT but I also am a big fan of the Etymotic ER4XR so a brighter overall tonality is obviously more my preference. I find that the 3DT is very sensitive to tip selection as well. More so than the Xelento. Hope that helps!

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #746 of 1,469
I like the Xelento’s size and fit better than the 3DT but the overall tonality is completely different. For me, the Xelento is very bass heavy with a little too much exaggeration in the low mids to the point that the bass can sometimes overpower things a bit depending upon the mix. I do like it at times though and still own it. I think the 3DT has quite a bit more highs and upper mids as well as less of a low mid boost. It is a very fun sound signature and nowhere near neutral in my opinion. Its overall tonality reminds me of taking a flat signature and throwing a ‘rock’ EQ preset setting on it. There is plenty of sub bass but the bass doesn’t overpower everything since the low-mids have been tamed a bit. Some people experience a little fatigue due to the slight upper mid/low high frequency boost but I like it. Overall it is a much much brighter sound signature to the Xelento. Personally, I prefer the 3DT but I also am a big fan of the Etymotic ER4XR so a brighter overall tonality is obviously more my preference. I find that the 3DT is very sensitive to tip selection as well. More so than the Xelento. Hope that helps!
Is ER4XR still relevent?

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #747 of 1,469
Is ER4XR still relevent?
Yes, the ER4 certainly is, for a very neutral (+/- slight bass boost) sounding IEM. It also provides superb isolation, if willing to have deep insertion IEMs. It is still a reference product.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #748 of 1,469
Yes, the ER4 certainly is, for a very neutral (+/- slight bass boost) sounding IEM. It also provides superb isolation, if willing to have deep insertion IEMs. It is still a reference product.
Been so tempted to grab one....

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #749 of 1,469
Been so tempted to grab one....
The Etymotics have been discounted a lot on Amazon lately. The other one to seriously consider is the ER2. While it doesn’t have quite as much detail and resolution as the ER4, the mids and treble are tuned very similarly, and the timbre sounds more natural with a DD. It also has legit sub bass rumble in the XR variant.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #750 of 1,469
The Etymotics have been discounted a lot on Amazon lately. The other one to seriously consider is the ER2. While it doesn’t have quite as much detail and resolution as the ER4, the mids and treble are tuned very similarly, and the timbre sounds more natural with a DD. It also has legit sub bass rumble in the XR variant.
Can confirm. I have both the ER4XR and ER2SE and they are both awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back