Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #661 of 1,469
For my ears (and nowhere near the 100 hours of burn-in I like to put on it), the 3DT is the most detailed all DD iem I've heard. And the instrument separation and placement is simply phenomenal! Repeating drbluenewmexico assertion, the earphones have a great "live" music sound. And who would have thought earphones could be so detailed without sounding clinical and cold? This is my second UM earphone. I was impressed with their ME-1 planar earphone, and I am highly impressed with these babies.
What other all DD IEMs have you heard? Are there others?

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #662 of 1,469
What other all DD IEMs have you heard? Are there others?
I don't understand your question. Are you asking me about multi-all DD earphones? If so, yes. JVC came out with three-DD earphones several years ago (I know I own one, I may own two). And there have been a few out of China made more than a decade ago (with dual or triple dynamic drivers).

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #663 of 1,469
I don't understand your question. Are you asking me about multi-all DD earphones? If so, yes. JVC came out with three-DD earphones several years ago (I know I own one, I may own two). And there have been a few out of China made more than a decade ago (with dual or triple dynamic drivers).
Thanks. The first 3DD IEM I had heard of is the 3DT. I was literally asking if there were others. You answered it. I was wondering why we don't see more of them. I think it's because IEMs with multiple BA drivers are easier to tune. But there is a trade off. It's easier to tune, but you get BA timbre.

Some people really like the mids of the Vision Ears Elysium and they claim that it is due to the use of a DD for mids. The majority of what I read is that people prefer DD bass. So, I was wondering if we are going to see a lot more all DD IEMs in the future.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #664 of 1,469
JVC brought these out in 2013. For newer enthusiasts these might look familiar especially if you shop on Aliexpress. This design was duped by the Chinese and there are serval cheap variants that you can buy today. 3 dynamics in the housing here with a larger bass dynamic out back in a bass chamber. The original 3 dynamic was in deed the JVC FXZ200 and FXZ100
1614799373003.pngIf I remember correct these were a basshead delight and had a warm tuning. Some of the biggest bold bass ends with a full warm tuning from JVC. very musical but due to their overly forward tuning the stage was less than desirable. I always wanted them to redo these as it has some serious chops for sound. I still own the FXZ100 as it was the better balanced tuning out of the two earphones. Yes earphones back then had fixed cables. lol.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #665 of 1,469
JVC brought these out in 2013. For newer enthusiasts these might look familiar especailly if you shop on Aliexpress. This design was duped by the Chinese and there are serval cheap variants that you can buy today. 3 dynamics in the housing here with a larger bass dynamic out back in a bass chamber. The original 3 dynamic was in deed the JVC FXZ200 and FXZ100
1614799373003.pngIf I remember correct these were a basshead delight and had a warm tuning. Some of the biggest bold bass ends with a full warm tuning from JVC. very musical but due to their overly forward tuning the stage was less than desirable. I always wanted them to redo these as it has some serious chops for sound. I still own the FXZ100 as it was the better balanced tuning out of the two earphones. Yes earphones back then had fixed cables. lol.
Couldn't find mine quick enough to show, so thanks Ds. But you would be right to assume that the tuning of those JVCs is nowhere near that of the 3DT. It's like nigh and day, week and month. The 3DT is how I always wished the JVC HA-FX850 woodies sounded. The FX850 sounds like a muddled smothered mess compared to the 3DT (and we used to think the woodie had one of the best timbres ever for a dynamic driver earphone).

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #666 of 1,469
Thanks. The first 3DD IEM I had heard of is the 3DT. I was literally asking if there were others. You answered it. I was wondering why we don't see more of them. I think it's because IEMs with multiple BA drivers are easier to tune. But there is a trade off. It's easier to tune, but you get BA timbre.

Some people really like the mids of the Vision Ears Elysium and they claim that it is due to the use of a DD for mids. The majority of what I read is that people prefer DD bass. So, I was wondering if we are going to see a lot more all DD IEMs in the future.
Okay HiFiHawaii808. No problem. Yes, the dynamic driver has come a long way from what I'm hearing from the 3DT, and what I heard about something like the Fiio FD5 or Dunu Luna and Zen earphones. I, myself, have been more partial toward hybrids (with the dynamic doing the bass), but the 3DT is up there with some of my favorite hybrids now.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #667 of 1,469
Okay HiFiHawaii808. No problem. Yes, the dynamic driver has come a long way from what I'm hearing from the 3DT, and what I heard about something like the Fiio FD5 or Dunu Luna and Zen earphones. I, myself, have been more partial toward hybrids (with the dynamic doing the bass), but the 3DT is up there with some of my favorite hybrids now.
Eric I have Moondrop Dusk incoming to compare with 3DT and Oriolus Reborn2
And UM Martian.the latter 2 I gave and are quiteg good hybrids which upscale well with effect audio cabling

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #668 of 1,469
And UM Martian.the latter 2 I gave and are quiteg good hybrids which upscale well with effect audio cabling
Nice. I own the Blessing 2 Dusk and just purchased the 3DT, but I won't be getting them until the end of the month. Really interested in hearing your impressions. I really love the tonality of my Dusks.

What I find really cool is that this group seems to be ahead of the curve. Seems like none of the major reviewers have this IEM on their radar yet. Given what I am reading, it will soon.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #669 of 1,469
Drbluenewmexico, pound for pound, my favorite earphone (that I currently own) is the AKG N5005 (1 dynamic and four BAs hybrid). So, my understanding is that the Moondrop Dusk's tuning is based on the Harman tuning that is in the N5005. If true, the Moondrops should be a treat to your ears. :beerchug:

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #670 of 1,469
@UniqueMelody I would like to know something: How do the 2 bass DD share bass? One for midbass and another for subbass? Or both together produce the full bass spectrum?

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #671 of 1,469
Drbluenewmexico, pound for pound, my favorite earphone (that I currently own) is the AKG N5005 (1 dynamic and four BAs hybrid). So, my understanding is that the Moondrop Dusk's tuning is based on the Harman tuning that is in the N5005. If true, the Moondrops should be a treat to your ears. :beerchug:
Yes it was the second custom tuning by Crinacle for moondrop if you go to crinacle.com a tab on the website is "colaborations"
@nd he tells the story of how he tuned it

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #672 of 1,469
Nice. I own the Blessing 2 Dusk and just purchased the 3DT, but I won't be getting them until the end of the month. Really interested in hearing your impressions. I really love the tonality of my Dusks.

What I find really cool is that this group seems to be ahead of the curve. Seems like none of the major reviewers have this IEM on their radar yet. Given what I am reading, it will soon.

I have an incoming Blessing 2 Dusk as well. Never heard a Moondrop I didn't like. I was blown away by the 3DT when I first got it. Then it fell out of favor for me. Now it's back in favor and I think it's great. Probably because :

1. It's now got plenty of burn in hours.
2. I discovered as @ericp10 pointed out, they shouldn't be inserted deeply. They need to sit as far out as possible while getting a good seal.
3. I tamed a bit of the highs by covering ~50-60% of the nozzle with micropore tape. Kudos to @IEMusic.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #673 of 1,469
@UniqueMelody I would like to know something: How do the 2 bass DD share bass? One for midbass and another for subbass? Or both together produce the full bass spectrum?
Both work for the full bass.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #674 of 1,469
I received my set of UM 3DT IEMs from Musicteck about a week ago and am thoroughly impressed. Here is the review I posted and my thoughts after a week of usage:

Upon first listen, I was pretty disappointed. They sounded thin and anemic with a lack of realism. After about 20 hours of burn-in, however, they really began to come alive. As time goes on, they have really taken on a very fun sound signature. They extend very low without being overbearing. The low mids are at a level that doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the sound spectrum which is a problem for me with the Beyerdynamic Xelento. The mids are a bit recessed although there is an upper mid accentuation. The highs extend plenty for my tastes and result in a quite revealing sound signature. I found that achieving a tight seal in the ear canal is key to getting these to sound the way they are supposed to and I ended up having to use Comply Comfort 500 tips and Symbio W tips. The stock tips just wouldn’t seal on my right side which isn’t unusual for me. In fact, I went through every ear tip I have without a successful seal until I tried the Comply and Symbio tips. This may be due to the shortness or angle of the sound nozzle. Overall, I am very pleased and these have become one of my favorite recent IEM acquisitions. I find myself reaching for them more than any IEM I own at the moment.

0D976273-0F05-41C1-AF6D-7EEF5E10DE3E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #675 of 1,469
I have received the Unique Melody 3DT last week, and since then I have been listening to it. I could not stop listening to it, even though just yesterday I received the Penon Fan.

One thing has to be said: 3DT is an acquired taste, no contest about it. If one keeps looking for the BA notes in its sound, that person is going to be mildly disappointed (not sorely, mind it).

Out of the box, I fell in love with the bass. Mids were very little recessed and highs were sparkly. I was surprised by the airy stage, which had a very good expansion. I was mildly dissatified by the crispness of the mids (The snare drums in Battlestar Galactica Season2 OST: Prelude To War), but the very open sound hooked me in. It has got about 52.5 hours of total play time now, and I have noticed some difference in the midrange: They have attained some more crispness. The bass retains the same awesomeness, and the highs are quite sparkling. Currently using it with Spiral Dots ++ tips and stock cable. Imaging, separation, airs are all very good.

Where 3DT mids are different from BA mids are I think the note forwardness. I am also listening to See Audio Yume, and I already have UM Mirage and Little Dot Cu-KIS. On all of them the mid and high notes are much more attacking, forward. Whereas, 3DT has more of a...Gentle Notes - that's how I'd like to define them. But there is no shortage of energy or details, if anything the notes sound more refined: retaining the crispness but presenting in gentler manner, without sounding dull. And also, KIS and Mirage are almost 2 and 2.5 times the price of 3DT, so the difference of performance is quite acceptable. But Yume really surprised me with its awesome performance, I must say. Yume has more attacking and forward notes, true, but the lack of a bit of refinement is still evident compared to 3DT.

I have to admit, I am enjoying it immensely. A laid back listen without any fatigue, but not missing the airy presentation. It's marvellous how @UniqueMelody has tuned them, providing a perfectly satisfactory amount of bass coupled with such a clean sound! Simply astounding, and I again thank @MusicTeck and @UniqueMelody for helping me acquire this item.

I will write a proper review after burning them for another week. Although I love them already as they are.

20210305_191934.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back